Government recognizing Gay and Lesbian

Options

Replies

• mikeandfox
    Options
    I am really just in a state of confusion. I am a straight male. I personally am not remotely interested in being with another man, EVER period. I do like that for myself and cannot understand why people of the same sex would want to be with each-other, however I believe in personal choice. As long as it is not hurting other people I have no issue with it. With that being said, why would/should the Government recognize gay and lesbian marriage? I personally think the Government has ZERO rights to ANY marriage straight or gay. So please enlighten me.

I agree completely. Marriage is a RELIGIOUS institution and the government has no business in it to begin with.

We already covered this, it is a legal union before a religious one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage

Marriage predates most modern religions, including Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Also, the passage of a marriage equality bill would not force churches to perform homosexual marriage or stop prejudice. Churches can still hate whoever they want.
  • machinegunkate
    machinegunkate Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am really just in a state of confusion. I am a straight male. I personally am not remotely interested in being with another man, EVER period. I do like that for myself and cannot understand why people of the same sex would want to be with each-other, however I believe in personal choice. As long as it is not hurting other people I have no issue with it. With that being said, why would/should the Government recognize gay and lesbian marriage? I personally think the Government has ZERO rights to ANY marriage straight or gay. So please enlighten me.

I agree completely. Marriage is a RELIGIOUS institution and the government has no business in it to begin with.

Nein. Marriage is a legal contract. Next minute atheists won't be allowed to marry.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options

So athiests should be banned from getting married?
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options

Nein. Marriage is a legal contract. Next minute atheists won't be allowed to marry.

According to many in this thread its completely the domain of judeo-christianity. So no muslims or buddhists either (congrats, we have just ruled out a majority of the world from American marriage)
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

^^ I agree with the woman who used German. By the way, that's sexy.
  • MattODriscoll
    MattODriscoll Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The government recognising gay marriage/rights has a lot of impilcations with law, ownership of property, etc. This is a good step forward.

As a straight male I fully support any country that recognises its citizens as equals, regardless of gender or sexual orientation.

For those that believe that being gay is a choice I quote British funnyman Ricky Gervais:

“It’s a strange thing that — that gay — being gay is a choice. No, being gay isn’t a choice, you know? I want to go, ‘Look, you try it, then. If it’s a choice, have a go.’”
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    As a Christian...I think that people are gay just like a person is born with blond hair! Seems like to many so call christians are picking which laws they follow...and if the scripture you are refering to in " NO man shall lie with another man" then boy scouts everywhere are sinning homosexuals! Dear fellow Christians...get the hell over it! God would be ashamed of you! He'd be down right pissed at your behavior! To the gays/ lesbians it is legal in Iowa and your welcome to get married in my back yard!! Its really beautiful here :)

It's more like non-Christians are picking out antiquated laws from the days of Moses that NEVER applied to Christianity as a means of ridiculing the Christian teaching that homosexuality is a sin.

Jesus came to FREE people from Mosaic Law (i.e. put to death anyone who commits this sin or that one). Jesus and his disciples did not preach tolerance for sinners or that we should condone each other's sinful behavior. They taught that we should have love and kindness and compassion for each other and that part of our responsibility as followers of Christ is encouraging each other to turn away from sin.

The biblical story that the pro-gay marriage crowd loves to bring up is the one about the Samaritan woman who was going to be stoned to death for committing adultery until Jesus shamed her would-be executioners by asking them what right they had to cast judgment on her, given that they were all sinners themselves. The part that always conveniently gets left out, however, is the part at the end where Jesus tells the woman to "Go, and sin no more." Jesus's message was not one of wholesale redemption; it was one of repentance and THEN redemption. He didn't tell her "It's okay to commit adultery because everyone else sins, too, so let's just all be sinners together." He fully expected her to repent and to begin leading a different lifestyle.

The Bible is not ambiguous on the issue of whether or not homosexuality is a sin. The only question is whether or not you believe in God's Word. If you don't, well, that's another issue entirely. If you do, you cannot reconcile that with a belief that people are no more responsible for their sexuality than for the color of their eyes.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    It's more like non-Christians are picking out antiquated laws from the days of Moses that NEVER applied to Christianity as a means of ridiculing the Christian teaching that homosexuality is a sin.

Jesus came to FREE people from Mosaic Law (i.e. put to death anyone who commits this sin or that one). . . .

Jesus says differently: "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. " Matthew 5:17-19 [NIV]

The Bible is a very complex document.. Things that you imagine are unambiguous are anything but.
  • iamthevieve
    Options

Really? So my totally secular, legally binding contract that's labeled "marriage license" is null and void because neither my husband nor myself is religious? You may want to call the federal government and let them know that they're giving me tax cuts I shouldn't have.
  • iamthevieve
    Options

Jesus came to FREE people from Mosaic Law (i.e. put to death anyone who commits this sin or that one). . . .

Jesus says differently: "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. " Matthew 5:17-19 [NIV]

The Bible is a very complex document.. Things that you imagine are unambiguous are anything but.

I believe there is another verse where Jesus said the Mosiac Laws are no longer valid and only things Jesus himself has said are law. I could be wrong. My attempts at reading the Bible haven't gone very well. I have a hard time getting through all the "begats" in Genesis.
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I think if we dropped the marriage part and just called it union or something like that all the fuzz would go away

That's a cop-out. Everyone deserves to marry whomever they want.....as long as they are of age and consenting.
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Cool Im gonna marry my dogs so my insurance will pay for their vet bills, Those Vet bills get pricey

Comparing the loving union of 2 people to beastiality is not only insulting, but also reveals an alarming lack of emotional intelligence and most likely regular old intelligence as well.

(applause)
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    As a Christian...I think that people are gay just like a person is born with blond hair! Seems like to many so call christians are picking which laws they follow...and if the scripture you are refering to in " NO man shall lie with another man" then boy scouts everywhere are sinning homosexuals! Dear fellow Christians...get the hell over it! God would be ashamed of you! He'd be down right pissed at your behavior! To the gays/ lesbians it is legal in Iowa and your welcome to get married in my back yard!! Its really beautiful here :)

you have no understanding of the Bible. Please get educated before you make yourself look even more foolish.

You do realize that God created women to be mans companion.
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    With that being said, why would/should the Government recognize gay and lesbian marriage?

Because if I get married and she bears kids from my eggs, I want her and our kids to be covered on my health insurance.
  • lumina0o0
    lumina0o0 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Isn't marriage a religious thing therefore as most religions don't recognise same sex marriage then they can't happen? Hence civil partnerships?

I say each to their own anyway and that the governments shouldn't care in terms of a legal sense who wants to do what. Am all for people being happy with whoever they choose regardless of gender.
    to be honest, no. If that were the case many people would not be married there are far too many people who do not believe in a God that are married. Often they go to court houses, or venues with no religion behind there ceremony and get married. If you could only be religious to get married I wouldn't be married today. My husband is agnostic and I'm catholic. We didn't get married in a church.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Gay marriage turned me into a newt!

I got better...
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Everyone wants the same thing; to love and be loved and lead a happy life. Is that so wrong?

and, as if it matters; no, i am not gay
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options

you have no understanding of the Bible. Please get educated before you make yourself look even more foolish.

You do realize that God created women to be mans companion.

the rich religious sects define what the bible means. and keep redefining it. if we went verbatim on the original intent of the bible we would still be in the dark ages. there are acts that were grounds to be stoned to death in the past that are still pretty much condoned today by some cultures. one example.. a religion that allows a family to kill a woman for "disgracing" them

if anyone wants to jump down my throat for this comment.. no problem, jump away.. i won't be defending or debating with anyone..

that's why i believe in the golden rule.. you can't go wrong
  • lillystargazer
    Options
    I read through the first three pages. I don't care if I'm repeating something that has been said, I just need to quickly address something. I saw someone say gay marriage shouldn't be allowed just as incestuous marriage isn't. However, incestuous marriage IS ALLOWED in many many states (25 I believe).

I fully believe in gay marriage, equal rights for every single person regardless of sexual orientation, and I believe gay people are born the way they are.
  • LifeChanged1209
    Options
    Unlike lillystargaze, I did not read through the first three pages. I only read page one, and quickly fast forwarded to page 12 to respond. I'll refrain from jumping high upon my soapbox. I just want to say that the gay rights fight closely parallels the civil rights movement of the 1950's, and eventually we will be able to "drink from the same fountain."