Any ladies 5'6 trying to reach ~ 115lbs mark?

Options

Replies

• edemonte
    Options
    I am 5'6 and about 135 right now. I am trying to get to 125 but worried it might be too thin for me. The best thing to do is fill up on veggies and whole grains. I eat thin crust pizza with spinach and mushrooms and I can still lose weight. Also popcorn is not as bad as you think - try the Pop secret 100 calorie bags, they are very filling and tons of fiber in popcorn.
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I lost weight once many years ago. I got down to 130 and was officially anorexic. My doctor ordered I gain at least 10 lbs. i did, but when my dad died I lost it and gained all my weight back so I am aiming for 145-155. I will be thin but healthy.

I just remember how hard it was to maintain once I dropped below 140. I literally worked my *kitten* off to stay that low and my hair started falling out, my face was gaunt, my skin was gray...

I think if you can do it and be healthy - go for it! Just be careful not to become overly concerned with the actual number. It isn't worth it if it effects your health negatively.
  • LittleGrem
    LittleGrem Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I've put a pic of where I am now up on my profile (please excuse my dodgy underwear and Scottish tan!!!) as you can see I am so very nearly there, and definitely (in my opinion) not unhealthily underweight nor do I want to be :) Thank you so much for all your comments and advice x

You look good, you don't need to lose more, try to build more muscle the more more muscle you have on your frame the more you can eat and the more fat you burn while inactive.

You know, I think you're totally right, after reading the article, maybe i should now be concentrating on upping my strength training to get where I want to be.
  • birdieintx
    Options
    Hey guys, I've put a pic of where I am now up on my profile (please excuse my dodgy underwear and Scottish tan!!!) as you can see I am so very nearly there, and definitely (in my opinion) not unhealthily underweight nor do I want to be :) Thank you so much for all your comments and advice x

Your weight looks healthy for your height. You may be confused at how to acutally acheive your goals. Try strength training and some cardio mixed together to tone and tighten but don't make your goal be weight loss. You could actually achieve the look/size you want with not as much weight loss that you are looking for.

I am 5'7 and would like to be about 130-135. This is a great healthy weight for me. When I was in my early twenties I was always naturally in the low 120s and when I look back at that now I look gangly not fit.
  • LittleGrem
    Options
    Guys I appreciate all your wise words, but seriously at 122lbs I am not unhealthily underweight or anorexic skinny. Check out my pic on my profile! If I was to reach 115lbs I would still be within healthy BMI for my height. I appreciate what may look fine on someone may look awful on someone else. Just depends on your body type/shape.:happy:
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Options
    5'5 1/2 and I am at 115, small frame. If I go below 113 that is when I start looking too thin. Frame size and body composition is important in determining what range you are aiming for. Judging from your pic, I think you would be fine at 115, but I would do strength training to tone things up.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    You're right... you don't look too thin. But I think to achieve the look you want, you probably won't change much in your weight at all, and might even weight more, but look smaller and tighter. I'm a little over 130# now, and able to fit into jeans I wore twenty years ago when I was about 110#.

If I were you, I'd ditch the scale completely and use photos to gauge your progress. Use the photos in your profile, and start an exercise regime with a very small calorie deficit (don't aim to lose any more than a half pound a week, if any) , and take new pics in about three weeks.
  • LittleGrem
    Options
    Also, I'm not starving myself!! Ha ha, at the moment eating a complex carb, high protein, fruit rich diet of 1200 cals + a day, working out 5 times a week, 3 days cardio + abs + push ups, 2 days strength training.
    So consensus is more strength training, any advice on ratio's cardio to strength? Do you think I should do more days of strength and less cardio or stay as I am and just try to up my weights?
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    LOL...finally figured out where to find your pic. I think you look great! I hope I didn't insult anyone here. SOOOOO not my intention. I know that weight depends on body type. That's why I was asking about your size. That number just sounded so low to me since my goal is nearly 35# higher ;-P Like you said...what might look fine on one person, may look bad on someone else. Thanks for your post :happy:
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I think you may need to up your calories. That's a LOT of cardio for 1200+ calories. Try swtiching the cardio and weights, so more weight days. Doing more sets will get you toned. But if you can blow through them, you need to up the weight. Keep us updated with pics! You can friend me if you would like.
  • Mandypt
    Mandypt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi all, just joined up. Trying to get that smoking body I've always dreamed about. I'm 5'6 and currently 122lbs. Want to drop to 115lbs, be toned not ripped and do it 'healthily' (no starvation or silly eating plans). Wondered if there were any other ladies out there on the same road or with any tips for me? Would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has or is looking to do the same thing :)

if you are 5'6, wouldnt that make you underweight?
  • toabetterlifestyle
    Options
    im 5'6 and my current goal is 125 but i might want to get down to 115ish. as long as i have muscle and no rolls, ill be okay! currently at 146.4 as of monday! lost 15 pounds woohhoooo
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I am 5'6 and 121 right now. I think I am happy at about 117-118. mostly I want to flatten my stomach. The only way I seem to be able to do that is to really work hard on that area. I llke doing Jillan's 6 week 6 pack and Insane abs.
    You look good in your pic. You just need to tone up a bit. :)
  • LittleGrem
    Options
    LOL...finally figured out where to find your pic. I think you look great! I hope I didn't insult anyone here. SOOOOO not my intention. I know that weight depends on body type. That's why I was asking about your size. That number just sounded so low to me since my goal is nearly 35# higher ;-P Like you said...what might look fine on one person, may look bad on someone else. Thanks for your post :happy:

Oh no, not insulted at all, by anything anybody has said. I appreciate everyone's comments and am really glad that so many people are taking the time to give me advice, it's awesome. Just want people to understand that I'm not too skinny and that I'm serious about changing my body shape for the better, not trying to be unhealthily thin :smile:
  • hcv40
    hcv40 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same as you. I am 5'7' and currently 114 lbs. I know I will probably get a lot of people saying it's not healthy but it is really individual. I have a very small frame, small bones. My wedding ring size is barely a size 4 if that puts it in perspective at all. When I was pregnant I was in the 140s and my doc has never had an issue with my weight. I don't starve myself at all but I have always watched what I eat. Anyway I joined here because I got to where my clothes were tight and I could either go up a size or lose some weight. I lost about 4 lbs and it made all the difference. Now I am just trying to eat healthy and exercise. I am 40 now so my metabolism is slowing down. So bottom line...it may be a reasonable goal for you. Set your goal but modify later if it seems that it is too low for you. Good luck!
  • amyrobynne
    amyrobynne Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Your goal seems reasonable with your frame to me. I'm 5'7" and 136 lbs now and a pretty solid size 8. It blows my mind to hear that people my height and 20 lbs heavier wear the same size. I have a pretty small frame and could probably go down to 125 before my thighs and belly stopped having flab.

I'd be careful to not eat less than 1200 net calories.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would add is that, if you have the small frame that justifies the lower weight, in the long run it may be healthier (and I mean in terms of bone strength, not anything to do with eating) to focus more on losing body fat/gaining muscle/body recomposition rather than just looking at scale weight.

In general, the lower the weight, the less effective calorie restriction is at promoting further loss.
  • rebelo3
    rebelo3 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My goals are around the same.. I'm 5'7 and looking to be 118. Still have 29 lbs to go.. feel free to add me !
  • kelly81082
    kelly81082 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant, I weighed 125 the day I gave birth. Now I'm at 140 and a size 8/10. Granted I'm a little older, but with my body type, I look much better at a lower weight. I may be happy once I get to 125ish, we'll see.
  • deleterewind
    deleterewind Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"6 and have a small frame, about 10 pounds left until the 115lb mark! :D