The truth about sugar subsitutes

Options

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    he's right, though. the majority of those BL folks fall right back in after they leave. and it is because they didn't make a lifestyle change, they were just on a crash diet/workout program. some keep it off, sure. and some lives were changed. but most just go right back.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    after a quick search, looks like JM was the target of a class action lawsuit with her supplements. course, there are plenty of frivolous lawsuits in this country. but, still.

also, here's a story from the new york daily news -- an unbiased source -- about her diet pills.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-01-13/entertainment/17943858_1_diet-pills-supplements-herbal
    A list of ingredients in the Jillian Michaels supplements, provided by nutritionist Natalie Chevreau, who worked with Michaels on the line of products, includes Chinese rhubarb, buckthorn, magnesium and dandelion, along with uva ursi.

"Chinese rhubarb, buckthorn and magnesium are laxatives," Fugh-Berman says. "And dandelion is traditionally used as a diuretic. Uva ursi, which is an herbal remedy to treat urinary tract infections, can be problematic in large doses. In fact, you really shouldn't use it for more than a week because it could be harmful."

As for the guarana contained in the Maximum Strength Fat Burner, that's a caffeine-containing herb, Fugh-Berman says. "Caffeine will increase your metabolism a little bit but it's not effective for weight loss," she says.

While the supplements prepared with caffeine may speed your metabolism and suppress appetite in the short term, "The caffeine fix wears off quickly and then you are left with a low blood sugar, which promotes overeating," Ventrelle says.

What many dieters don't realize is that just because something is herbal doesn't mean it's necessarily safe, Ventrelle says.

"There just has not been enough research done on these products," she explains. "People see the words natural, organic and herbal and assume that these ingredients can't do any harm."
  • kiki41
    kiki41 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    after a quick search, looks like JM was the target of a class action lawsuit with her supplements. course, there are plenty of frivolous lawsuits in this country. but, still.

also, here's a story from the new york daily news -- an unbiased source -- about her diet pills.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-01-13/entertainment/17943858_1_diet-pills-supplements-herbal
    A list of ingredients in the Jillian Michaels supplements, provided by nutritionist Natalie Chevreau, who worked with Michaels on the line of products, includes Chinese rhubarb, buckthorn, magnesium and dandelion, along with uva ursi.

"Chinese rhubarb, buckthorn and magnesium are laxatives," Fugh-Berman says. "And dandelion is traditionally used as a diuretic. Uva ursi, which is an herbal remedy to treat urinary tract infections, can be problematic in large doses. In fact, you really shouldn't use it for more than a week because it could be harmful."

As for the guarana contained in the Maximum Strength Fat Burner, that's a caffeine-containing herb, Fugh-Berman says. "Caffeine will increase your metabolism a little bit but it's not effective for weight loss," she says.

While the supplements prepared with caffeine may speed your metabolism and suppress appetite in the short term, "The caffeine fix wears off quickly and then you are left with a low blood sugar, which promotes overeating," Ventrelle says.

What many dieters don't realize is that just because something is herbal doesn't mean it's necessarily safe, Ventrelle says.

"There just has not been enough research done on these products," she explains. "People see the words natural, organic and herbal and assume that these ingredients can't do any harm."

All the biggest loser trainers have weight loss supplements. People should be educated about what they are buying into
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    But sweetener is my best friend D:

Yup! Mine too! I have it in moderation becaue I do notice it makes me feel hungry. But I have it on a daily basis.

Almost evrything we eat is bad for us in some way. Even fruit and veggies. There are so many harmful chemicals that go into our produce, meat, and dairy during the production and processing of it.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    And there is even worse news: studies have consistently shown that artificial sweeteners actually promote weight gain. A sweet taste induces an insulin response which causes blood sugar to be stored in tissues and fat. But artificial sweeteners do not actually increase blood sugars, so you actually can become hypoglycemic which leads to an increase in food intake.

What I wonder is why when I wake up with a fasted blood sugar in the low 70's and then have 2 cups of coffee with 2 Tablespoons of Splenda and nothing else do I not go into insulin shock, or feel those tremors meaning my blood sugar is too low if this is true?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff do you have a medical degree????????????? How many of your clients have kept their weight off??????? Biggest Loser has changed lives whether you like it or not...Millions of people love Jillian and she has changed lives and she promotes NATURAL FOODS....Imagine that eating food in its NATURAL...UNPROCESSED...STATE....WHAT A CONCEPT.
    Obviously you've bought into the hype. Do you believe that having a medical degree is all it takes to understand how the body works? Doesn't it look like I follow what I teach? I can be straight up honest and say that when I put clients on diets that restricted foods and drinks they liked to eat, they lost weight but eventually gained most it back. A few years back I abandoned that type of philosophy because it didn't make sense to me to have all these clients lose only to gain back. So using common sense, I took what they ate on a regular basis and had them learn how to control actual portions. Guess what happened? Weight regain dramatically dropped. Why? Because they got to eat foods they enjoyed and didn't have cravings or disappointment of being on a diet. I promote that today and though I don't have the fame that JM has, I'm more than sure that I've touched the lives of many of clients. Working in a Wellness Center, I see people daily suffering from cancer, disease, heart ailments, loss of limbs from accidents etc. and know that working with them I touch their lives. You DON'T need a TV show to do it.
    And really, unless you're growing your own food and raising and butchering your own meat, ALL foods go through processing. You don't think they just harvest/butcher it and put it in a package? There is processing of how foods are cleaned, preserved, protected against pests, etc. Even organic food goes through a chemical cleaning process (although they use "natural" chemicals) before being put on the shelves for protection.
    Truth comes from actual scientific testing and studies. If artificial sweetners were found by science to cause all the maladies claimed by opposition, then I would side with the opposition. Plain and simple.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    The problem with aspartame is that it creates an imbalance in the body. It's made up of aspartic acid, phenylalanine and also generates methanol. Aspartic acid is a non-essential amino acid, which stimulates NMDA receptors which in high doses can cause brain damage (it's been proven to cause Olney's lesions in rodents). Phenylalanine in large quantities interferes with production of serotonin. Serotonin regulate intestinal movements, mood, appetite, and sleep. Serotonin also has some cognitive functions, including memory and learning. Methanol is highly toxic to humans. While a healthy person can convert all these substances, why risk it? Most people have enough toxins from their environment, food and water to worry about. Other foods do have these substances in them but they also have other nutrients that can counteract their effects.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The problem with aspartame is that it creates an imbalance in the body. It's made up of aspartic acid, phenylalanine and also generates methanol. Aspartic acid is a non-essential amino acid, which stimulates NMDA receptors which in high doses can cause brain damage (it's been proven to cause Olney's lesions in rodents). Phenylalanine in large quantities interferes with production of serotonin. Serotonin regulate intestinal movements, mood, appetite, and sleep. Serotonin also has some cognitive functions, including memory and learning. Methanol is highly toxic to humans. While a healthy person can convert all these substances, why risk it? Most people have enough toxins from their environment, food and water to worry about. Other foods do have these substances in them but they also have other nutrients that can counteract their effects.
    What you need to clarify is when you state "HIGH DOSES". What is a high dose and then compare that dosage to how much is in a can of diet soda. If the dosage needed takes drinking 30 cans of diet soda at one sitting, then we can probably rest assured that it's probably not going to be an issue.

IDEA Fitness member
  • emeralds5668
    Options
    I use truvia... ._. and I'm still going to use it.
    me too.....or the walmart brand of stevia
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    You know what else produces methanol while being metabolized? Fruits and vegetables. You know what else produces (MUCH larger) quantities of aldehydes? Alcohol. You would have to ingest a ludicrous amount of aspartame to get more aspartic acid than you do from other food sources in a day. etc. etc.

I am not advocating consuming artificial sweeteners, but there is really no scientific basis to this argument. It is a bunch of fear-mongering nonsense that, while 'technically' true, ignores the fact that in an average day, even a 100% healthy diet produces more of those substances than any reasonable quantity of aspartame will.

I think it is safe to assume that ANY sweet substance in large quantities is not good for you (based upon current literature, fructose is actually the most dangerous).

In my personal opinion, based on the info I have read, avoiding sugar syrups such as corn syrup, and high-fructose anything is a higher priority for me than avoiding artificial sweeteners.

---

On another note, re: natural foods, the primary mechanism for weight loss there is not their inherent healthiness (don't get me wrong, natural foods are great, and I definitely advocate eating them), but rather the difference in thermic effect of food between "natural" and "processed" foods. In short, you get more usable calories from processed foods than from "natural" foods. Basically, if two people have a maintenance diet of 2000 calories/day on natural food, and one of them starts eating 2000 calories/day of processed foods, the processed foods eater will actually be running somewhere around a 200 calorie/day surplus, which will result in them gaining something like 2 pounds a month.

I agree with ninerbuff: it is WAY more important for someone to be able to lose weight and get in shape then for them to follow one specific diet. Some people love paleo. Some people love the okinawan diet. Some people love IF. Hey, whatever works for you. The diet you WILL follow and that will help you get fit is infinitely better than the one that you talk about but "cheat" on and end up back where you started.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I think it is just safe to say-EVERYTHING IN MODERATION PEOPLE and leave it at that.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I use truvia... ._. and I'm still going to use it.
    me too.....or the walmart brand of stevia

truvia is made of stevia...with a little extra so the coca cola company can patent it...but stevia is all natural. It's a leaf that's dried and crushed. If I were going to use any kind of no-cal sweetener that would be it. I just avoid sugar altogether

And for those who are saying you need staggeringly large doses of artificial sweeteners to see effects try avoiding it for awhile then eat it again...you may be surprised. I've avoided it for about 10+ years now I get massive stomach cramps and headaches...even from something small as a piece of gum.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    What you need to clarify is when you state "HIGH DOSES". What is a high dose and then compare that dosage to how much is in a can of diet soda. If the dosage needed takes drinking 30 cans of diet soda at one sitting, then we can probably rest assured that it's probably not going to be an issue.

IDEA Fitness member
    2-3 cans of Diet Coke (180 mg aspartame per can) causes methanol to show up in the blood.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3957170
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Did someone here order a generalized panic? Because it somehow got delivered to my house. Here you go.
    smiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gif

smiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gif
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    likewise, being overweight is a serious health risk. artificial sweeteners help a lot of people cut calories and therefore lose weight.

Absolutely. If your choice is between having minimal sugary foods and avoiding artificial sweeteners then I think having minimal sugary foods is a reasonable choice and more power to you! If your choice however is to continue to have sugary foods because you think sweeteners are evil then that is ridiculous. Obesity has far more proven cause of harm than sweeteners do as after masses of studies, the consensus between professional bodies remains that sweeteners are safe.
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    AND.... for every "truth" about sugar substitutes being harmful or bad, there's an equal number of "truths" about sugar substitutes being harmless.

Soooo.... I think it would be AWESOME if people were LESS inclined to CHERRY PICK their "truths".

And I think it would be even AWESOMER if fewer people presented scientific hypotheses as "truth" when they are in fact just one of many competing hypotheses that may or may not hold true over the next 25 years of scientific testing.

I choose to drink sugar substitutes. I've dug through pub-med rather extensively on the issue. In my personal opinion, the benefits (yummy, refreshing beverage and/or stick of gum with few calories) far outweigh the possible, but disputable "negative consequences".

But that is my personal choice. If you choose not to partake because you're concerned about the possible risks, great! But, you know, it'd be really cool if people didn't try and present something as fact when it's not fact just to support their choice.

In a perfect world..........sigh...
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    But, you know, it'd be really cool if people didn't try and present something as fact when it's not fact just to support their choice.
    THIS! It's irresponsible to make claims of "truths" when there is no actual evidence to support them.

IDEA Fitness member

The "kinesiology" bit in your signature undermines everything you are saying. Which is unfortunate, because you speak some sense.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    AND.... for every "truth" about sugar substitutes being harmful or bad, there's an equal number of "truths" about sugar substitutes being harmless.

Soooo.... I think it would be AWESOME if people were LESS inclined to CHERRY PICK their "truths".

And I think it would be even AWESOMER if fewer people presented scientific hypotheses as "truth" when they are in fact just one of many competing hypotheses that may or may not hold true over the next 25 years of scientific testing.

I choose to drink sugar substitutes. I've dug through pub-med rather extensively on the issue. In my personal opinion, the benefits (yummy, refreshing beverage and/or stick of gum with few calories) far outweigh the possible, but disputable "negative consequences".

But that is my personal choice. If you choose not to partake because you're concerned about the possible risks, great! But, you know, it'd be really cool if people didn't try and present something as fact when it's not fact just to support their choice.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

2-3 cans of Diet Coke (180 mg aspartame per can) causes methanol to show up in the blood.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3957170
    Showing up in the blood also happens with alcohol or fruits. Gasp. In a couple of hours the basal levels return. And to counter:
    These studies clearly demonstrate the safety of this high-intensity sweetener for use by humans.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2653751

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The "kinesiology" bit in your signature undermines everything you are saying. Which is unfortunate, because you speak some sense.
    Really? How so?

IDEA Fitness member