Pooping - this is a serious question...

Options

Replies

• rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Increased blood flow and water retention in muscles that wouldn't show up right after workout until muscles begin to relax and go into recovery mode?

Ditto. This happens to me. I read on one of the forums that you shouldn't work out hard the day before weigh in because your muscles retain water and blood because they're healing themselves and recovering from the workout, therefore you will weigh more. And don't forget muscle weighs more than fat.

But, but...

My point is that if the only activity that happens between weight #1 and weight #2 is a bowel movement, there is no WAY for weight to go up.

If I'm retaining water, it's still water that was *in my body* before the bathroom trip and whether or not it's moved into my muscles would make no difference on its weight.

At this point it's pretty obvious it's the scale - although I do like the buoyant gases theory. (Which is borne out by other unfortunate biological events throughout most days.)
  • rprussell2004
    Options
    Have you considered not weighing in after you poop "just for kicks"?

What fun would THAT be?
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Seriously - a second weigh in just for kicks??

That would drive me insane. Weighing in once a day is one thing, more than once a day is a bit crazy- IMO. No offence!

You misspelled "offense"

No one cares but you. Go back to your pile of beans.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    If the only thing between the weight measurements is the potty break and you GAIN weight, then I will speculate that you are losing an abundance of methane gas which might have been holding you up like a hot-air balloon on the first weigh in. When you lost the gas, gravity pulled you down regardless of how much ballast you threw overboard.

lol....

This is the best answer ever:laugh:
    And makes perfect sense. And is the reason why I will never weigh myself again when I'm bloated:drinker:
  • texastumbleweed1
    Options
    If your scale is on carpet that will make it go up and down.
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    This is a real thing! My co-worker and I did a VERY scientific study of this, with a sample size of 2, and came to the same conclusion. I ALWAYS weigh more after a poop. Like the other poster said, I think it has something to do with dark matter. :noway:
  • divamsm
    divamsm Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The real question is do you normally have floaters or sinkers. If floaters maybe you will weigh more. But if sinkers.... You will enjoy the scale afterward like myself!

LMAO....sorry...
  • Scootsk
    Scootsk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would guess it is the scale. Have your weighed yourself twice or three times right in a row to see if you get the same weight every time? When I bought a scale last year lots of online reviews said they would get different weights immediately on some scales. Or maybe it's just a low battery?

My electronic scale seems to remember my weight if I stand on within a few minutes of getting off it. It seem like a built in flaw so that it appears the scale is accurate every time. Today I experimented and got on the scale with a verified 1 1/2 lb. item, I then got off the scale let it reset and got back on without the extra weight and low and behold the same weight. I will just weigh myself once a day because it is fruitless with this electronic scale.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    1) Dont weigh in everday
    2) your second weigh in will always be higher because you have eaten.
    It wasn't the second weigh-in after she EATS - it is weighing herself, pooping, and then weighing herself again. Logic dictates that what was left in the toilet should be subtracted from her total weight, but she's experiencing the opposite.

Two points -

1. Yes, no eating involved.
    2. You misspelled "he" and "himself" :drinker:

Oops - sorry about that. I didn't recognize the penguin's male anatomy. I should have checked your page.
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Are you eating anti-matter?

:laugh: good one!
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    It maybe your workout causing the grief. You shouldn't weigh yourself post workout as it is normally higher than preworkout weight. Try weighing yourself before you workout for a more accurate weight.

This is false.

Explain how your body will increase in weight by exercising? If you dont take anything into your body it can not create a greater amount of mass from nothing? Now If you are taking in water during your workout then I could see you weighing more but From my experience, and I have to say Ive been doing this a while, If your working out with any intensity I rarely take in enough water to replace what Ive lost during workouts.

I ALWAYS weigh less after a workout. I weigh before and after so that I know how much water I need to replace.
  • rprussell2004
    Options
    ...something to do with dark matter.

(Added to my list of 'poop' euphemisms...)
  • pizzanut
    Options
    Unless you either ate or drank inbetween, or you were imbalanced on the scale to start... not possible.

The scale might be off, or youve changed clothes or something. But SOMETHING has happened to cause that. You just don't go up out of pure thin air.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    I would guess it is the scale. Have your weighed yourself twice or three times right in a row to see if you get the same weight every time? When I bought a scale last year lots of online reviews said they would get different weights immediately on some scales. Or maybe it's just a low battery?

My electronic scale seems to remember my weight if I stand on within a few minutes of getting off it. It seem like a built in flaw so that it appears the scale is accurate every time. Today I experimented and got on the scale with a verified 1 1/2 lb. item, I then got off the scale let it reset and got back on without the extra weight and low and behold the same weight. I will just weigh myself once a day because it is fruitless with this electronic scale.

What scale is this? I think this is what mine is doing. The question is does it account for a certain amount of change? +-5 lbs. If I weigh and then my wife weighs does she weigh the same as me? LOL Ill have to try this.
  • CrystalMarie253
    Options
    I love this post it makes me LOL :)
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Same scale? Zeroed both times before weigh in?

Yep - and yep!

Maybe it needs new batteries.

And there's really not a whole lot going on in between. No eating or drinking - there'd be no mystery if that was the case. It's become a minor obsession now, I'm trying to keep the variables as controlled as I can.

No different clothes. Not holding the cat. It's weird. It's sometimes been only a half pound (which is the lowest increment the scale goes to) but this morning it was two.

I have had this happen also.. Has me stumped. I have checked it off and on to see. Not ever time but often enough to make me wonder. I thought maybe it was the 'weight' of my day starting to weigh on me.. lol
  • ceecee368
    ceecee368 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Same scale? Zeroed both times before weigh in?

Yep - and yep!

Maybe it needs new batteries.

And there's really not a whole lot going on in between. No eating or drinking - there'd be no mystery if that was the case. It's become a minor obsession now, I'm trying to keep the variables as controlled as I can.

No different clothes. Not holding the cat. It's weird. It's sometimes been only a half pound (which is the lowest increment the scale goes to) but this morning it was two.

If it's just half a pound I'd say it's probably as simple as your scale not being too accurate. Try weighing in, stepping off for a few minutes, and weighing in again and see if it the number is consistent.

Anyways, I wouldn't worry about it at all. This post did make me laugh though. Especially the bit about the cat. :laugh:
  • divamsm
    divamsm Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It was only a matter of time.......

Right??? lol
  • Janice032557
    Janice032557 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    This should be a Twilight episode on the Weight Watchers channel

hahahahahaha
  • chubbychristianchick
    Options
    Mine always goes up a pound. I assume it's from water/coffee I drink after I wake up before my second weigh in.