Future baby name

Options

Replies

• sms1986
    sms1986 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    A nice name for any daughter would be Helen Elizabeth after my grandmothers (it is also the name I would have had if I was born female). My mother's name, Sheila, is a lovely name as well. For a son, I think it would be nice to use family names from my patrilineal line, such as Joseph or Henry, although I like Alexander and Samuel as well.

I guess me and the child's mother, if I do eventually father a child, could choose a name each and see how well they go together, and whether one is the first name or the middle name.
  • TamsinEllis
    Options
    Just a thought, I don't know why you want Baruka, but since many people have raised points about it having a bad meaning etc, what about Baraka if you want something like that? It is a name and it means blessing in lots of languages :)
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    I've always loved the name Tate or Austin. Austin Tate. Tate Austin. :wink:

I like Austin, but Tate sounds like taint.
    I was going to say the same thing, anyway just stick to andrew jacob. As for girl names the first name isnt so good. I love the name rose.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the name Rose. Baruka, not so much at all.
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've decided not to be wild about another baby name until I am actually pregnant. Almost every name I've loved before I got pregnant became trendy. I'm SO not a trendy person so I couldn't go with it after it became popular. IE: Isabella, Jackson, Logan, Dylan. I still love the names, but not for my child.
    Uh yeah when I name my daughter haylee I had never met another i just found the name in a book liked it named her, very popular name that year. 2nd daughter came and i had always wanted a Hanna, #1 name of the yr she was born!! Boo hoo!!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    HELL NO!!!...Your child will hate their name and change it when she's 18. Both of my children have unique names but I had to make sure they didn't sound like I had a mouth full of sh** when I say it. Sorry but names are so sensitive. At my job we have a running list of terrible names like Jewelry, Africanique...WTH?!?!

My friend is a kindergarten teacher and she told me some of the names of the kids in her class and I was dumbfounded

Twins name: Orangejello (Or-ran-Jay-Lo) Yellowjello (Ya-Lan-Jay-Lo)
    and the topper (I not even sure MFP will let me type this) A s s h o l e (accent on the e, can't figure out how to type that accent mark) so it's prounounced (*kitten*- o- LAY)

My cousin worked with a man named lemonjello (le-mon-jay-lo)
    My grandmother when she taught second grade had twins named male (maa-le) and female (fe-maa-le). the parents thought the hospital named their kids when they saw the male and female marked on the birth certificate.
    I named my son Justus but spelled it Justice so people could pronounce it and say it ( I am a long time general hospital watcher and loved the name) but everyone just thinks his name is Justin.

I wish I was joking.
  • southernyankee716
    Options
    I don't care how much I loved a baby name. If it's meaning had anything to do with an "evil spirit" I would choose another name. My son lives up to his name which means "'Little fire". Believe it or not, there is a lot of similarity between the meaning and the person.
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I think that what you name your kids is between you and the dad. People will like it, some won't. To me it doesn't matter just remember they are stuck with it for LIFE> IMHO
  • angiebarker
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the great advice we did decide not to go with Bakura. :)
    Not to take the name from Harry Potter but i love Luna and always will lol
  • Maria_81
    Maria_81 Posts: 152
    Options
    Rose is very nice...
  • lvpthemvp
    lvpthemvp Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My Mom always said that when choosing a baby's name you should go outside and yell it at the top of your lungs 50 times. If you are not sick of it by then, go ahead and name it that.

HA! I love this and just had to repeat it.
  • Just2Jean
    Just2Jean Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    [My Mom always said that when choosing a baby's name you should go outside and yell it at the top of your lungs 50 times. If you are not sick of it by then, go ahead and name it that.
    [/quote]

This is true. LOL
  • WhiteRaven
    WhiteRaven Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Isn't Baruka the whiny little brat's name from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?

Veruka Salt was her name
  • WhiteRaven
    WhiteRaven Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    woops double post
  • veepie
    veepie Posts: 103
    Options
    Mine are Imogen for a girl and Tristan for a boy. I have a son called William already :) xx
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Go for what you like....but when choosing baby names...you really have to look at if from a kids perspective too....bullying is getting worse and worse these days...You don't want to pick a name that will make them an easy target. I.e D/ck or name then after a disease of some sort without realizing it.
    I agree with this. I tried to talk my friend out of naming her son "Tucker"...but she went with it. He's in kindergarden now, and not sure if he's getting called the obvious...but am still sure its coming eventually!

I'm assuming you mean "f*****." It took me a while to think of what the joke would be. I'm sure his friends might call him that jokingly but in my opinion it's not a reason to not name your child that!

And about spelling - my name is Christine and I always have to spell it for people. Just because you choose a common name doesn't mean you won't ever have to spell it or deal with problems about it!
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Tucker is awful!!! That beggars belief. That somebody would call their child Tucker. Wow. Does the registrar have no power to rein in the worst excesses of people's imagination.
  • siljamilja
    Options
    My dream baby names are Frida Elisabet and Emil Rickhard.
  • Jules0336
    Jules0336 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I would think about my child's future while choosing a name. You don't know what that child is going to do in the future. Being taken seriously in the professional world is important if that's the path he or she takes for example, and a name that is out there will probably play a big part in that. Just my opinion of course :smile:
  • chipaddict
    Options
    I lovelovelove Rose but it's getting so common around here :( Rose, Susannah or Elizabeth.
    For a boy I love Christian and William.
    I think it's a good idea to give a child a name that can be shortened a couple of different ways so they can find on that suits them.
    A couple of people said "you're the mum, you choose"-um they're children for a very short period of time. Who wants to hand in a CV that says Bakura?? Some names are just embarrassing!!