Dose of "reality" check..................

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
There usually comes a point in the year where I get fed up with some of the "whining" and "boo hooing" from some people who fret and dramatize the "I gained pound" and "I've done everything and no weight loss" because of where I work.
If some of you don't know, I work in a Wellness Center (which is usually a hospital based "gym") and deal with people who are recovering from cancer, stroke, heart attack, surgery, life changing accidents etc.
When I see people here STRUGGLING just to walk, having hardly just enough strength to get up and out of a chair, having to be assisted on every machine they use, and rolling an oxygen tank around...............and doing it at 50 years or LESS in age, then I just gotta say:

QUIT WHIINING!!!!

What these people wouldn't give to just be able to walk, talk, and be "normal" again. They would GLADLY take your problems in exchange for theirs.

So buck up. It's weight loss. It's not gonna be a BAD DAY just cause you didn't lose or gained a pound.

Rant over.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• brybre0413
    brybre0413 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    Options
    Amen
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Give 'er.

You could have done SO MUCH MORE with that rant.
  • jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Well said...THANK YOU!!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
  • Shyn6409
    Options
    Wow, well said!!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I like this perspective.

Sometimes at my gym I glance over and catch an 80 yo man walking by with his walker, or this young dude in a wheel chair struggling with his trainer. And in those moments I grow a little more grateful. I GET to do this. I GET to do this. Yes, sometimes it's hard, but I'm lucky.
  • beccahansen
    Options
    Exactly. Thank You!
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Duly admonished. Will never whine again, honest.

Well, maybe a bit, but not for a while.
  • sangelic
    sangelic Posts: 207
    Options
    Couldn't have said it better. Thank you!
  • Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Perfectly said!!!!
  • flyingwrite
    Options
    Beautiful perspective. Rock on!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I think along those same lines too sometimes...for example, when I'm not in the mood to go to the gym for strength training (I know it must be done but I'm not particularly crazy for it) I think about how many people that can't do that for whatever reason would love to be in my shoes.

Puts things in perspective.
  • Doomsprout
    Options
    I agree. I think it's easy to lose sight of how lucky we really are. Even on my worst days when everything seems to be going wrong I try remember how lucky and blessed I am to even be alive, and to have good health, eyes, ears, appendages, all those things that we take for granted. I try to keep perspective and not take these things for granted.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    wow, that is a reality check. Ty
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Great Post/Rant!

It's just incredible how much people who could take ownership of their health choose to snivel and moan over their failures and personalize every point of departure.

These folks will die fat, complaining and rationalizing all the way to the grave.
    I pity that whole gloomy lot.
    To such people, the glass is always half empty.
  • lizb41
    lizb41 Posts: 17
    Options
    Maybe that was a bit harsh....there's always going to be someone worse of than you but that doesn't make your problems or insecurities any easier to deal with. Obesity, long term, is very tough to handle and some people don't have a support network to help them when they finally start to make the changes.....so if a whinge helps and they can get support from others on here, then i don't think they should be told to shut up.

I totally sympathise with people in worse off situations, but i'm sure at some point in their lives they have whinged over the trivial stuff.......everyone's life is important and everyone's feelings are important and valid....so everyone, please feel free to whinge away if it helps you to stay on track with your life changes.
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reality check!!! I needed that! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Give 'er.

You could have done SO MUCH MORE with that rant.
    Feel free to add.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • purplerain011
    Options
    ^^This!