Dose of "reality" check..................

Options

Replies

• jennmartin82
    Options
    Well Said! Tell'em!!!
  • purplerain011
    Options
    Maybe that was a bit harsh....there's always going to be someone worse of than you but that doesn't make your problems or insecurities any easier to deal with. Obesity, long term, is very tough to handle and some people don't have a support network to help them when they finally start to make the changes.....so if a whinge helps and they can get support from others on here, then i don't think they should be told to shut up.

I totally sympathise with people in worse off situations, but i'm sure at some point in their lives they have whinged over the trivial stuff.......everyone's life is important and everyone's feelings are important and valid....so everyone, please feel free to whinge away if it helps you to stay on track with your life changes.

^^this
  • mercadezporcha
    mercadezporcha Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Maybe that was a bit harsh....there's always going to be someone worse of than you but that doesn't make your problems or insecurities any easier to deal with. Obesity, long term, is very tough to handle and some people don't have a support network to help them when they finally start to make the changes.....so if a whinge helps and they can get support from others on here, then i don't think they should be told to shut up.

I totally sympathise with people in worse off situations, but i'm sure at some point in their lives they have whinged over the trivial stuff.......everyone's life is important and everyone's feelings are important and valid....so everyone, please feel free to whinge away if it helps you to stay on track with your life changes.

agree with this its in everyones right to whinge no matter there situation
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    never heard about it from this perspective for weight loss! nice post!

i always try to think of myself as lucky in other areas of my life but this really makes me grateful!
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    We've got a 70+ year old man at my gym. Every day, he comes in and goes to town on one of the elliptical machines. We're talking 60-70 RPM or more. He's an inspiration to watch!

JM
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Beautiful post! I have some minor health problems, and sometimes I have to work hard just to get through walking on the treadmill at 3.0 mph for 20 minutes-but I think to myself that I am SO lucky to have a healthy body that is able to move freely and be active and it helps me push through the wheezing (asthma) or heart issues that may be acting up a bit. I'm not saying I use it to push unwisely when i'm having serious issues, but it helps me to really think-are you having a serious problem or is this something you could push through? Most of the time it's something I can push through so I keep going when before maybe I would have gotten nervous and given up for the day at the first sign of something difficult. It's gotten easier and easier, too! I haven't had an asthma attack in a few weeks! Yay!
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I have a physically disabled son. He has 13 therapy appointments a week. He may never walk. I often think, when I feel bad for myself that I have no right to complain. His first step (hopefully one day) may be more difficult to take than any mile I spent running. It's definitely humbling.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Give 'er.

You could have done SO MUCH MORE with that rant.
    Feel free to add.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

How about whining "I can't eat all my calories"

Tell that to the guy with the feeding tube. Or the guy with stage 4 colon cancer and can't eat anything but soup.
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Love this...
  • Strobins05
    Options
    Best post so far!!!! Love it and blessings to you for an amazing job. One does not know what it's like to go through recovery unless you have been there yourself! I thought of my father while reading this, hospitalized for over four months and now he is starting to walk again. Keep up the great work you are doing!
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Duly admonished. Will never whine again, honest.

Well, maybe a bit, but not for a while.

THIS^^^
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options

While I can empathize with people who struggle being overweight, they still have the opportunity to change it. It's a much different boat when you're afflicted with disease.
    My point is that life will throw curveballs occasionally. Sometimes you'll swing a miss. If that happens, then just dust off your pants and get ready to swing again. Throwing the bat down and jumping up and down at home plate won't let you hit that curveball when it comes around again.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few folks on mfp that need to read this.....jus sayin
  • xo_morgan
    Options
    One rant that i actually enjoyed. Well put :flowerforyou:
  • LixxiLees
    LixxiLees Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I agree with this...

I sympathise with people those positions, I really do. But everyone has there own problems which are a big deal to them and they should be respected the same.

I'm partially sighted, riddled with arthritis since I was 2 years old, but I get up, get on and smile. But I don't for one minute tell my friends to stop whining because there foot hurts, cooker broke down, or put on 7lbs over xmas even though they're stick thin. Because there problems are as important as mine and because I care about my friends, I'm happy to listen to them.

If you don't like what some people say, you don't have to listen or read it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have a physically disabled son. He has 13 therapy appointments a week. He may never walk. I often think, when I feel bad for myself that I have no right to complain. His first step (hopefully one day) may be more difficult to take than any mile I spent running. It's definitely humbling.
    My heart goes out to you since I see many kids in our PT and rehab downstairs in our facility. I wish you and him the best.

IDEA Fitness member
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Could not have said it better myself.... 3 years ago I went with a doctor script to the Wellness center for aquatic therapy... At 560 lbs. and unable to support my own weight for Any period of time this was my starting point. I watched alot of people come and go through those doors the last few years and now after losing most of my weight and entering the final stage of my weightloss with the help of braces (getting knee replacements within the year) no matter how much pain I am in that day, I suck it up and just do it cause I know I see people even worse than me up there and it makes me appreciate what I do have and can do...... Great Rant!!
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    It's funny, I clicked on the link, read it and thought wow, what a reality check... the words struck so true that I forgot even how I ended up here until I saw the topic pop up when I replied.

We all have our ups and downs, but in the "big picture, the grand scheme" to get upset over small obstacles in the road isn't good. We all stumble but as long as we keep going and pushing ourselves further... that's how we win.

This was a great reality check for me....
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    How about whining "I can't eat all my calories"

Tell that to the guy with the feeding tube. Or the guy with stage 4 colon cancer and can't eat anything but soup.
    Tell 'em more!!!

IDEA Fitness member
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you since I see many kids in our PT and rehab downstairs in our facility. I wish you and him the best.

IDEA Fitness member

Thanks! He's a trooper. He will be fine no matter what!