Dose of "reality" check..................

Options

Replies

• Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    This is one of the reasons I pursue running - because other people can't & wish they could. Also, for my mom. She's a 3 time cancer survivor & is my hero. I'll run a million cancer awareness races for her if I can.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Maybe that was a bit harsh....there's always going to be someone worse of than you but that doesn't make your problems or insecurities any easier to deal with. Obesity, long term, is very tough to handle and some people don't have a support network to help them when they finally start to make the changes.....so if a whinge helps and they can get support from others on here, then i don't think they should be told to shut up.

I totally sympathise with people in worse off situations, but i'm sure at some point in their lives they have whinged over the trivial stuff.......everyone's life is important and everyone's feelings are important and valid....so everyone, please feel free to whinge away if it helps you to stay on track with your life changes.
    While I can empathize with people who struggle being overweight, they still have the opportunity to change it. It's a much different boat when you're afflicted with disease.
    My point is that life will throw curveballs occasionally. Sometimes you'll swing a miss. If that happens, then just dust off your pants and get ready to swing again. Throwing the bat down and jumping up and down at home plate won't let you hit that curveball when it comes around again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Agreed. There a difference between the things you can control and the things you can't, and recognizing the difference. If you haven't lost a pound or gained one in the past week you can throw yourself on the ground and have a right tantrum that would be impressive to even my 2 year old, or you can say, "Crap, I gained a pound, I hate that, now let's figure out why."
  • LHubb54
    LHubb54 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Right on!
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    :heart: this. Thanks for posting!
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    of coarse i am more a fan of a gentler approach, but i do see your point. my lil' sis drives us all nuts with this. its a never ending whine-a-thon. granted we understand her "battle" (ED) but it be nice to have a week without hearing the whining and end of the world break downs.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Here, here!
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Maybe that was a bit harsh....there's always going to be someone worse of than you but that doesn't make your problems or insecurities any easier to deal with. Obesity, long term, is very tough to handle and some people don't have a support network to help them when they finally start to make the changes.....so if a whinge helps and they can get support from others on here, then i don't think they should be told to shut up.

I totally sympathise with people in worse off situations, but i'm sure at some point in their lives they have whinged over the trivial stuff.......everyone's life is important and everyone's feelings are important and valid....so everyone, please feel free to whinge away if it helps you to stay on track with your life changes.

agree with this its in everyones right to whinge no matter there situation

I don't think he was questioning whether or not people have the right to whine. Weight loss is something that we as individuals control......no one else. Disabilities are a different story....in most cases, those cant be 'fixed'. There are quite a few people on here that do not hold themselves accountable and whine and moan over why they aren't losing weight and seem to need constant reassurance and someone holding their hand. The point is, yes, we all need/enjoy being encouraged, but it falls on each one of us individually to do the things necessary to reach our goals when we have the ability to do so. I can pump you up and encourage you all damn day, but I cant stop you from putting unhealthy food in your mouth or make you exercise.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

While I can empathize with people who struggle being overweight, they still have the opportunity to change it. It's a much different boat when you're afflicted with disease.
    My point is that life will throw curveballs occasionally. Sometimes you'll swing a miss. If that happens, then just dust off your pants and get ready to swing again. Throwing the bat down and jumping up and down at home plate won't let you hit that curveball when it comes around again.

IDEA Fitness member

:heart: :drinker: :heart:
  • monib68
    Options
    Great point! My mother suffered a stroke at the age of 53 and she is paralyzed on the right side of her body. She had to learn how to talk, write and walk again. She is my inspiration to stay healthy. After watching what she went through to live a somewhat normal life in spite of her circumstance I learned to not sweat the small stuff and be thankful for the good health that I have. Thanks for the reality check.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

I don't think he was questioning whether or not people have the right to whine. Weight loss is something that we as individuals control......no one else. Disabilities are a different story....in most cases, those cant be 'fixed'. There are quite a few people on here that do not hold themselves accountable and whine and moan over why they aren't losing weight and seem to need constant reassurance and someone holding their hand. The point is, yes, we all need/enjoy being encouraged, but it falls on each one of us individually to do the things necessary to reach our goals when we have the ability to do so. I can pump you up and encourage you all damn day, but I cant stop you from putting unhealthy food in your mouth or make you exercise.

You all said it very well!!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I wholeheartedly agree. I used to whine about how hard it was to get up and move when I was 450 lbs. I have arthritis that developed from that extreme weight, I also have a myriad of pain related issues because of carrying the equivalent of two extra people on my frame. Then I look at my dad...he was in a chemical accident which left his lungs permanently scarred. He had to use a respirator to breathe because the simplest scent of a rose would put him into respiratory arrest. He perservered and overcame becoming stronger every day. Then he was diagnosed with Parkinsons and yet again, he will not let anything get him down. He has recovered 100% range of motion on both arms despite rotator cuff surgery on BOTH arms...WITHOUT PAIN PILLS!! He has recovered from a fractured foot which left him needing to have a special mechanical cast because the bone wouldn't heal. Despite his medical challenges, he is the most active guy I know. He goes hunting, fishing, and enjoys his crafts. He build my mom a greenhouse, built a carport for his van, gardens, built literally every peice of furniture in my parents house except for the couch with an expert craftmanship that would sell for thousands in the store. Every time I want to whine about how hard it is...I ask myself "What would Dad do?" He's never sat down and felt sorry for himself, and he's been beat senseless by curveballs...why should I feel sorry for myself too?

Is it hard to lose weight, be healthy, and be active? Damn dippity it is!! Is it worth it to take those steps towards a better life? Abso-frickin-lutely!! I remember that I did this to MYSELF...no one spoon fed me lard until I blimped up...I ate, and ate, and ate. When I felt sorry for myself, I ate. When I was happy, I ate. Food was my comfort and companion until I learned to have a different relationship with food. Instead of living to eat, I now eat to live. Portion sizes, good choices, losing weight has no special science or formula...it's simple...eat less calories and get active. No magic pill, not special potion. It requires hard work, but all things that are worth acheiving require work!

Thanks ninerbuff for the reality check!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    of coarse i am more a fan of a gentler approach, but i do see your point. my lil' sis drives us all nuts with this. its a never ending whine-a-thon. granted we understand her "battle" (ED) but it be nice to have a week without hearing the whining and end of the world break downs.

coarse...gentle...

Freudian slip? lol
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I wholeheartedly agree. I used to whine about how hard it was to get up and move when I was 450 lbs. I have arthritis that developed from that extreme weight, I also have a myriad of pain related issues because of carrying the equivalent of two extra people on my frame. Then I look at my dad...he was in a chemical accident which left his lungs permanently scarred. He had to use a respirator to breathe because the simplest scent of a rose would put him into respiratory arrest. He perservered and overcame becoming stronger every day. Then he was diagnosed with Parkinsons and yet again, he will not let anything get him down. He has recovered 100% range of motion on both arms despite rotator cuff surgery on BOTH arms...WITHOUT PAIN PILLS!! He has recovered from a fractured foot which left him needing to have a special mechanical cast because the bone wouldn't heal. Despite his medical challenges, he is the most active guy I know. He goes hunting, fishing, and enjoys his crafts. He build my mom a greenhouse, built a carport for his van, gardens, built literally every peice of furniture in my parents house except for the couch with an expert craftmanship that would sell for thousands in the store. Every time I want to whine about how hard it is...I ask myself "What would Dad do?" He's never sat down and felt sorry for himself, and he's been beat senseless by curveballs...why should I feel sorry for myself too?

Is it hard to lose weight, be healthy, and be active? Damn dippity it is!! Is it worth it to take those steps towards a better life? Abso-frickin-lutely!! I remember that I did this to MYSELF...no one spoon fed me lard until I blimped up...I ate, and ate, and ate. When I felt sorry for myself, I ate. When I was happy, I ate. Food was my comfort and companion until I learned to have a different relationship with food. Instead of living to eat, I now eat to live. Portion sizes, good choices, losing weight has no special science or formula...it's simple...eat less calories and get active. No magic pill, not special potion. It requires hard work, but all things that are worth acheiving require work!

Damn dippity!!!:laugh:
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options

Thanks for the original post and this level-headed follow-up reply.
  • lisaslim1976
    Options
    I do feel very lucky for everything I have every day, I know I moan sometimes.. and shall try not to do so as much! I shall celebrate my gladness with a glass of vino tonight cheers people :drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options

On point! The typical whining I hear on here are from many who centralize their success on losing weight on a daily basis.
    NEWS FLASH: it ain't always going to happen no matter how consistent you think you are.
    Appreciate that you can gain a pound. Some can't. Appreciate you can exercise your limbs. Some have to be assisted. Overall if you're relatively in decent shape you have the opportunity to improve dramatically if you take the steps necessary to do it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    So when dealing with someone who's trying to walk again or recovering from cancer, is it often effective to remind them that they could be rotting and/or being tortured in a Turkish prison instead? --note, I really have no idea what Turkish prisons are like; they could be lovely.

It's really all relative. It's not a switch some people can just turn on or off. "Gosh someone presented me with rational reasons why I should be happy? Gee that really brightens my day!" I say that with sarcasm, though perhaps I shouldn't because it may actually work for someone...it certainly doesn't work for me. Emotions aren't always swayed by reason as much as we'd like them to be.

The buck-up, pull-yourself\-up strategy is one way to go. It is also sometimes completely ineffective through no fault of the person having a hard time. Don't get me wrong, the whining probably isn't going to be all that productive either, but telling someone not to whine is kind of just as silly.
  • NikkiPsuedoDupuis
    NikkiPsuedoDupuis Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    /Agree

Thank you. I'm in the military, have served in Afghanistan and have had to stand at too many ramp cermonies sending friends a d comrades back home. Watching amputees struggle to remain fit both inspires me and breaks my heart and if I have a QUARTER of the motivation and dedication they do, I'll be well on my way to being healthy again. Keeping them in mind when I feel low or discouraged makes it easier, because if they can make the effort, so can I, I owe them at least that.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few folks on mfp that need to read this.....jus sayin
    For sure!
    Too many here would rather wallow in self-pity than buck up and take action.
    It gets quite pathetic.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^
    THIS!
    Anybody with a ticker that reads 184 has my immediate attention....