decided I dont want to die

Options

Replies

• KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Way to go, taking the first step!! :smile:

Check out Ed's thread for some huge encouragement:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/478850-updated-omg-i-did-it-32-months-301-lbs-lost-part-2
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking that first step, buddy! Lots of support and friendship here. :drinker:

Feel free to send me a friend request if you'd like!
  • Julesh964
    Julesh964 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm sure with all the love and support from everyone on MFP you will get there...please add me as a friend if you like, I would love to support you on your journey :)
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I wish you all the best on your journey!
  • Servant_of_God
    Servant_of_God Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking your first step toward saving your life! I too have tried sooo many different diets and I too have never once had any long term success. Diets are really not for long term success… if they were no one would buy into them as the promoter of the diet wouldn’t be able to advertise “Lose 10lbs in one week!” or whatever other crap slogan they chose.

As previous post mentioned, slow and steady is the race for good overall health. This is going to be a marathon for you longhaul64… not a sprint, but you absolutely can do it! One reason many diets don’t work is they are not sustainable for long term as I have mentioned. Eating healthy isn’t always easy but it should not be dreadful either. If you got to that weight you have instilled in your brain, the same way I did, the strong desire for “good” food. And the more the better! Not healthy food... but good tasting, high fat, high sugar food. If you try to just stop cold turkey and put the brakes 100% on that your body and mind will resist to the high heavens!

I could go on for hours, but to hit my point and let others weigh in I will say ONE thing that has helped me stay disciplined with a healthy diet is having one cheat day each week. I am less likely to reach for an entire bag of chips or sit on the couch to watch The Biggest Loser while I down a 1400 calorie pint of delicious Ben & Jerry’s ice cream if I know I have a day coming where I can indulge.

Do not misinterpret what I am saying. I am NOT saying pick a day to have 10,000 calories! Myfitnesspal helps you to determine how many calories you need a day to sustain your weight. To lose two pounds a week (recommended maximum healthy weight loss) you need a calorie deficiency of 1,000 calories per day. Granted at a higher weight you are likely to see greater loses in the start of your lifestyle change. As side note it is much better to burn off the extra calorieswith any form of excersise as to not attempt to starve yourself as that will actually slow down your progress. So I have one day a week that I will double that calorie intake to help not only satisfy my craving for yumminess but some research shows that it will actually help “reset” your metabolism as your body gets used to your daily caloric intake. I still try to eat 90% good stuff, just a lot more of it and I pick one thing, like my ever so delicious Ben & Jerry’s, and man it taste so much better than it ever did before as I go a whole week of trying to avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup!!

Lastly, the number one thing that has helped me stay focused, on track and disciplined with my diet and exercise is prayer and asked God for help when needed! God loves you brother and so do I!!
    Take care and I will be praying for our continued success!
  • MichelleV1990
    MichelleV1990 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place! There is so much love and support here, that you'll have a hard time failing! You've already taken a huge first step...the rest will get easier as time goes on. Congratulations on your 8 pound loss...you're on your way! Good luck and keep up the great work!
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    So glad you stopped here @ mfp. You can do this. It won't be fast or easy. But.... this is a great place for support & questions & answers. We are pulling for you! !!!
  • sjerrott
    sjerrott Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm so impressed with your strength - you can do this!!!
  • melg126
    melg126 Posts: 378
    Options
    :flowerforyou: You can do this! I wish you the best on your journey. Believe in yourself.
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You are HERE. That alone is a miracle. I am going to send someone your way that was in about the same boat. Feel free to add me and keep coming back. Add friends from here. We are all here for you. I'm so glad you reached out.

Hugs!
    Bevy
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    your trying, so you better off then most already.
  • LaurenMichelle004
    LaurenMichelle004 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the first step to your new, improved & longer life!!! You are headed in the right direction! I'm sure being a truck driver can be difficult for making good food choices, but totally not impossible. Try to pre-plan/pack your meals and take it day by day - each day has the opportunity to become a success. :flowerforyou:
  • _Ren
    _Ren Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You can do it! If you need a friend for encouragement, feel free to add me!
  • lavendergirll
    lavendergirll Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I dont want you to die either! I want you to continue to reach out for the support and motivation that has been offered to you. You have already made a big step towards reaching your goal; remember it is not a race; some days will be better than others; some days you will be one step aheand and then the next day two steps behind. It is not about being on a diet. It is about making permanent lifestyle changes and keeping up with those changes. I really am excited to see you here and look forward to checking in on your success. Pris
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    The best thing is that YOU have made this decision for YOU! Thats the first step! You have to want it and want it more than you want the food. If you have a bad day and mess up, don't give up, it's just a bump in the road and we all hit it now and again! I know you can do it and just keep logging on here and get active with the community and you will be amazed at the amount of support and information you can get here!
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking the first step.
    Your goal can be reached - there are a lot of people on here that have started in your same situation. Make a plan and then work the plan.

Here is my advice to you...
    1. I seem to say this alot, but you are not on a diet - it is a lifestyle change. You need to understand that and accept it, if not, you will fall back into your old ways.
    2. Be honest with yourself. On thing that is huge (at least to me) about MFP is that it forces me to be accountable. Anything I put in my mouth I log in MFP. It took one day of doing it to realized that my eating habits were **** and they needed to change. If you don't log it - you are pretty much just lying to yourself.
    3. Be patient. You hear the word "Journey" on here alot. Losing weight is a journey - it take a long freaking time. You are not going to do it in 6 months like the people on the biggest loser, unless you have the means to have a trainer and are locked in a gym for 6 hrs a day 7 days a week. Most normal people have a life and need to learn that about 1 - 2 lbs a week is pretty normal.
    4. Educate yourself. You need to know what is good and what is bad to put into your body. Most people have no idea how many calories are in a plate of food they are about to eat.
    5. Set Goals and make the realistic. Yes, your ultimate goal is to hit that 225, but you need to start small. Start with something like a 5% goal (35 lbs), and when you hit it, go bigger, say 10%.

Its a journey - you will find that people on this site are ultra supportive, and sometimes that just what you need to get thru the day.

Feel free to add me as a friend - Im known to give ppl a kick in the *kitten* if they need it :)
  • vabwoy
    Options
    Stephen King was once asked how was he able to write so many great novels, his reply was "One word at a time". And I'm pretty sure you've probably heard this advice before but it's THEE best advice. One pound at a time. One inch at a time. One day at a time. Mountains are conquered one step at a time - GO FOR IT!
  • sarvissa
    sarvissa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for taking the first step! Don't think of it as a diet, think of it as the first step to taking back your life! Feel free to add me.
  • shellimus
    shellimus Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You are in the right place. We are here for you to cheer you on! Ask for help. Ask questions. People will be very helpful here. Friend me if you need MFP friends.

Shelly
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hey LH,

Your strory is really touching. Everyone here is so helpful and great with encouragement. You can do this and we can all be here to help every step of the way!

x