decided I dont want to die

Options
Hi all,

I am new to this, so please bear with me. I am a 47 year old male. I have been big all of my life, and my job
as a over the road trucker and my terrible eating habits have finally take their toll. In Janurary of 2011, I had a fall on the ice
which damaged my leg to the point where I was not able to move. So I sat in my recliner and ate and ate and ate. Feeling sorry
for myself.

Two weeks ago I had a doctors appointment. When I stepped on the scale I was almost brought to tears. The number I saw
was a stagering 645 lbs.

I have been on over 20 diets in my lifetime. Started out good each time, but after a couple weeks, I was back to my old bad habits.

So bottom line is... I DON'T WANT TO DIE.

I want to be able to sit in a chair with arms, I want to ride a roller coaster again someday. But most of all I want to be
around to enjoy my family.

So I need some help. A kind word, a attaboy, or maybe just some encouragement.

I have lost 8 lbs in the last 10 days. I have a long way to go to my goal of 225.

Thanks for reading. LH

Replies

• Lora0626
    Lora0626 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    LH,
    Congrats on making your first step on your lifestyle change! Best of luck and don't give up!!! :smile:
  • lisaslim1976
    Options
    Brought a tear to my eyes....
    You can do it...it will be hard...but good luck, and think of your 80th birthday!!!!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Wow, so sorry to hear about your troubles!

You've made a huge step in the right direction! New habits take weeks to make, so it's one day at a time. Make better choices, move more, and before you know it you're weight begins to melt away.

Good luck to you!
  • dargriff60
    dargriff60 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am 63 yr old female who is now pre diabetic and as you do not want to continue down the path. I have been on Weight Watchers and have lost 40 lbs in two years and kept it off but still a good 50 lbs to go. I has a desk job and was very high stressed which made me eat. No exercise was a way of life. Now I retired so that has allowed me to have time to exercise. Just walking the dog, after my two knee replacements in the last three years, is new to me. But, give yourself permission to start slowly with walking a short distance, then a little longer. You can not erase the past, you CAN create your own future. So hang in there so you can enjoy a life free of pain and full of joy. DG in Florida
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    What and awesome decision YOU have made for your life. Let's start a new life right here right now. We can do this! remember good days are to come. Just look at how good this one is! I stated my journey on the first of Feb. I've had some good days, some great days and yes because i'm breathing i have not so good days (i don't like to use the word bad as it is not an inspiring word) So here is to You and to all of us on this great journey to better days! Congratulations!
  • stuey39
    stuey39 Posts: 159
    Options
    Trust me, first step complete you will not die!

Also you will not get negativity on here, only genuine positive encouragement!

So, Lets get it done, right?

Add me if you wish my friend I will give you as much support as i can as I'm not just here for a short term goal, I'm in for the long haul and lifestyle change otherwise, what's the point?
  • littleprinces36
    Options
    Good for you making the first step towards getting healthy. And that is awesome that you lost a good amount of weight already. You are on your way to your goal. Keep your head up! :happy:
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You got this! I'm proud that you are taking the necessary steps to being healthier and happier. You are so worth it! Congrats on your loss my friend. Never give up <3
  • ILOVERAILYNN2812
    Options
    well good that noone wants to die!
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Hey man... You CAN do this. It takes commitment and hard work, but it is achievable. There are many people on this site who have successfully lost hundreds of pounds, and have kept it off. What you have to remember is that it will take time. You have to commit to making yourself healthier, and remember that even though the weight comes off slowly, every day you're getting healthier. Each day is better than yesterday, and slow and steady will win the race.

Best of luck to you. There are lots of knowledgeable people on this site that can help you. Do your research, and make it happen!!!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    You've committed to making a change. That is HUGE! Stick around, make some friends, and don't give up :smile: Just think, you are closer to your goal than you were when you stepped on that scale.
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

As a fellow trucker I know how hard it can be to combine the job with a healthy lifestyle. You've made the first step, which is always the hardest. I'm sending a friend request to you, perhaps we can give each other some decent tips!
  • meg82005122008
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck on your journey. You can do it. It's mind over matter. One day at a time. I have struggled with my weight for the past 6 years so I understand your frustration. Keep your head up and if you fall off the wagon, jump right back on. :)
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm here to support you any way that I can.

Here''s wishing you well and brightest blessings!

Marie Anna
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You CAN do this!

Don't "diet" - make lifestyle changes. You have to live healthy, eat healthy, and think healthy if you want to end up healthy. And you have a long, hard journey ahead of you. But that doesn't mean you can't do it! You've taken the first step, and an 8lb loss is great! Keep it going & good luck! :)
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    you are already on your way to the life u want to live! most people think this way and just hope for a cheat or a miracle- u are already making the right choice by tracking calories... start small- eliminating 1-2 bad choices a week and replacing them with better, healthier options. start walking more if u can! the good news is, some of the initial weight will come off faster than u think as long as u are consistent. we are here for support when u need it- u got this!
  • marquesajen
    Options
    You sir, can do this. It will be hard, but man, will you feel good when you get their! Remember to celebrate every pound you lose. Look at yourself and say, "I'm doing it!".

Feel free to add me as a friend, I like to encourage!
  • tmlandis
    tmlandis Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wow, that seriously brought tears to my eyes. Good for you for wanting to take the step and make the change. Like someone else said, it's a lifestyle change and not a diet. That's where many dieters fail. I applaud you for logging on here to begin with! Set small goals and take it a step at a time, a day at a time. If you fall off the wagon at lunch, don't wait for the next day to get back on, get back on the next meal. Good luck!
  • lelasutt
    lelasutt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You are definitely in the right place. There are so many nice, positive people here to encourage you on your journey. You just have to take it a day at a time. We may slip up some days, but just don't give up. I recommend joining one of the message board groups that do weekly weigh ins. I did, and its really helped to keep me accountable. Good luck on your journey.

7820655.png
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    We are all here for you. One step, one pound at a time!:flowerforyou: