decided I dont want to die

Options

Replies

• Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story, and welcome! I am new here, too, and sometimes I get discouraged when I eat a bit too much or exercise not enough...but until a few weeks ago, I'd never been on an elliptical, or a treadmill, or lifted weights, or counted how many calories I was eating (so I am sure I was eating much more than even my worse days here!) Slow and steady wins the race!! Good luck, I am rooting for you, my friend!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You can do it! Make lots of friends, and we will encourage you. Take one step at a time, just one day, one step, one bite at a time. Breathe. You are strong. You can do hard things.
  • margerator
    Options
    It's a journey; now that you've started you never have to look back! I look forward to seeing your progress and I am cheering you on! Have you seen the success stories posts? They are truly inspiring! Several people have lost hundreds of pounds! I am addicted to the before and after pictures! Good luck!
  • jrbourdon
    Options
    It's gonna be a long journey, but one you can definitely do!!!! It takes about 28 days to develop a habit, so keep going and develop a habit of healthy eating and living. Also just walk as much as you can, any movement is great for you!! There are many people with you on this journey!
  • Arrow_31
    Options
    Good on you!!!... keep it up and you can turn everything around... it is a long and not easy journey but have faith in your self and you will accomplish miracles... :))
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I came home from the Gym and do like I always do, sit down and get on MFP (yep even before Facebook these days) I had a message in my inbox from someone I am not even friends with (b4 tonight) and she had link your post to me and ask that I please read it... I have to say your post hit me in the face like a ton of bricks and brought up alot of emotions. You see in 2002 I also was driving truck (alittle different than you in the fact I delivered Budweiser as well as drove truck) in Feb of 2002 I was making a 6 a.m. delivery and had taken a bad fall on the ice and tore my knee up. I spent the next 7 months having surgery and rehab and it never got to the point I could return to work, so my employer had to let me go.. This happened after we had just spent the previous 2 years burying My wife's mother and father, my mother and father after caring for them (ran 3 households and worked two full time jobs) from 1995 to 2001. At that time I was already in severe depression and then when I got injured it was the final blow. It took the last thing away from me that made me feel like I was worth something. At that time I was pushing 320 lbs. and from there it went downhill.. By 2009 I was home bound for over 2 years, could barely walk from room to room and was eating myself to death. In May of 2009 everything came to a head, it was literally 3 days of deciding whether to get busy living or get busy dying. My wife came home on that 3rd day and I broke down and begged her to help me. She had been waiting the better half of a decade to hear me say those words. So she took a week off work and we made appt. to therapist, to doctors, etc.... I had to get a new family doctor cause I had not had one in over 10 years. When I stepped on the scale I was completely crushed. My denial was now reality and I had to face the fact I weighed 560 lbs. But you see even though I didn't know how I was going to get there I had resided to the fact I was done saying NO and it was time to start saying YES..... When you hit Rock Bottom (which is what I needed) you really have nowhere to go but up... I had all the classic super morbidly obese problems... Fatty liver, severe vitamin D deficits, swollen legs, skin rashes, and Full Blown Type 2 Diabetes..... I was lucky to not have any heart issues yet so that was one positive I had to hang my hat on... My Endo Dr. was quite blunt and told me if I didn't change now he said I would be dead within 5 years... If I get the weight off everything would reverse even the diabetes... I couldn't support my own weight (I had/have Osteoarthritis both knee's, torn meniscus both knee's and torn ACL in my left knee) so he wrote me a script for Aquatic therapy. I had severe social phobia issues but knew I had to find a way to deal with it so with alot of determination and will I went to the Wellness center through our local hospital and began the water therapy. The very first workout I couldn't even do 10 minutes, I was exhausted but I kept going back and over the course of a year and half I managed to lose 175 lbs. in the pool therapy. I was fitted for Don Joy Knee braces and put on 3 different pain meds and given Knee injections. Then they started pushing me out of the pool and on to land base exercise. For the next 15 months I split time between the pool and working out on land based equipment (elliptical, treadmill, bikes, rowing machines, free weights, etc) and continued to lose. This past wednesday I hit a major milestone on my journey and broke the 300 lb. loss barrier!! I currently weigh 259 lbs. (next goal is 250 lbs.)

I worked with a dietician from the beginning... Everyone that said you have to treat this as I Lifestyle and not a diet is 100% correct!! You have to commit to this journey for the rest of your life. Once you can wrap your head around that it makes it alot more manageable. And break things down to what you feel you can handle for me it was and still is day by day... I do everything I possibly can to be as successful today that I can and I know when my head hits the pillow I have done everything I could have and then I go to sleep and get up and do it all over again... Baby steps but always putting one foot in front of the other... I could not go the everything in moderation route. You don't get our size saying "Oh I can keep some Chocolate chip cookies in the cupboard with the doritoes and just have a couple every now and then... LOL So in came the 32 gallon trash can and out with all the junk food and in with all the healthy choices.. Chicken, Fish, veggies, fruits, Nuts, Whole grains, etc.... Now guys our size have plenty of fat store so running large calorie deficit in the beginning phases is perfectly fine. My dietician figured I was consuming well over 7000 calories a day over that final 2 years.... So she set me up in the beginning on 240 grams of carbs a day ( 60 grams at my main meals and 20 grams at my snacks 3 time a day) calories was set around 2500 ish, she wasn't to concerned in the beginning as long as I was around that number... I was allowed 2 what I call cheat meals a week (normally 1 on wednesday night and 1 on friday night) my home was/is a now junk food free zone (if it isn't here I won't miss it and can't go in the cupboards and sabatoge myself) so my cheat meals are eating out. I can have what I want only rule is nothing comes home with me and has to be consumed there.... This always gives me a meal to look forward too that was from my old lifestyle... My cheat meals normally involve Pizza and/or Wings... I since have narrowed that cheat meal to just friday nights... If we eat out a second meal nowadays we have a healthy meal out... Salads or 500 calorie menu dinners at our favorite eating place.... I am facing knee replacements when my weightloss is complete... All that we have and are doing is just buying me time to get through this weightloss and skin surgery ( got to have around 25-30 lbs. removed per skin surgeon) I am going in on the 29th to get my Left knee cleaned out one last time to hopefully buy me just 6-8 months to finish this weightloss.... In the beginning I had no one sitting across the table from me (my therapist ran 4:30 minute mile marathons and weighed 165 lbs. soaking wet) that had been through anything like what i had to go through so it took me along time to warm up to my therapist or anyone else for that matter that could possible know what i was gong through... So you can look at this as being Fate or God definitely working in his mysterious ways that he put me in your path at the time when you need someone to be that voice of support and encouragement and to let you know that even though this is going to be The Hardest thing you will have ever done, it is so very much possible and no matter how bad things look now if you truly commit to the process you can achieve anything you want too... God meant for us to meet here tonight I truly believe that and if you want to add me I would be more than happy to stand in your corner and give you a shoulder to lean on.... God bless and remember Baby steps, don't rush this no matter how much you want too... This journey is your new life and it is going to take time to get you wear you need to go but fully believe you Will get there and it is possible.... Just look at my Ticker that number doesn't lie..... Sorry so long............. Hope to hear from you.... God Bless.....................
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    First, let me say that I am so proud of you for even coming here and admitting that you have an issue. You are very very brave, and you should be so proud of yourself that you came here and took the first step to making the changes you need to do.

Secondly, you CAN do this. It's going to be a very hard journey, but please do NOT give up along the way. I wrote this thread for newbies, and I hope you will find it helpful also.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies

Never ever forget why you stared this journey. There will be many many days where you feel like quitting, and you will have days that you will eat too much or don't workout like you're supposed to. Don't let a few bad days derail you. Keep your motivation in mind all the time.

*hugs* You can do this. I have faith.

Congrats for getting started!
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    You are most certainly in the RIGHT PLACE, and more importantly, the right MINDSET. It's going to be a long, difficult journey. But you can do ANYTHING if you are committed. Gonna add you as a friend! :)
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! This place has helped SO many people, and I am inspired by all of my wonderful friends every day. You can definitely do this, and you are in the right place. Best wishes to you on your journey, and congratulations on your new lifestyle!
  • DebBahr
    DebBahr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You can do this! The hardest part is making the decision to change and you've done that. There are so many helpful and encouraging people on this site. I can't wait to hear about your progress!
  • Hollyjd1019
    Options
    You can do this! Check out the success stories, they always help motivate & inspire me. Having support on MFP is a huge help also. Just dont give up. You can do anything you really want to do. Sometimes it is hard but it will be worth every struggle. Just imagine how great it will feel to reach your goals. Best wishes to you.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Just wake up everyday and tell yourself its worth the change. Everyday won't be perfect but you can do it. Good luck. You've already taken the first step.
  • Sarahsiff
    Options
    You can do it! I wish the best for you. It's never too late to make a change and do things to make your life better. Good luck and stay positive!!

SS
  • MIKE1SS
    Options
    you can do it brother !

Ill do my best to help

check out my daily food diary it might help

GOOD LUCK
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Way to go on making a healthy lifestyle choice for yourself! You can do anything you set your mind to, and MFP can definitely help you on your journey :) Best of luck!
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you found us and i'm glad you're here. You can do this. We will be here with you.
  • physistwife
    Options
    :happy: Congratulations on taking that first step! You have come to the right place, everyone here is so supportive and encouraging as we all pretty much have the same goal. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Your in the right place. Congratulations to your first step of many on your journey to getting healthy. :bigsmile:
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    This site will be a big help to you. Use it. Use it as a tool and use it for support. You've made the start. You're starting to gain momentum. Gaining momentum means losing weight. I think you'll find, the more progress you make, the more motivated you'll be. So, keep things going. You've got all of us rooting for you.
  • NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You've made the hardest step in the right direction, you've decided to do something, good for you! I also made this same choice because I didn't want to die. I look forward to seeing your progress!