blueham5 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I lived in my parent's bakery haha.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Why am I fat?

Same as everybody.
    My calorie intake exceeded my calorie burn.
    No need for a list of excuses.
    I got FAT!
    I looked like a walrus with a human head.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    (see screen name)
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    b/c i was always GOING TO change. tomorrow. or monday. or when the weather's better or. or. or. or.
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    1. My issue with portion control caused the dryer to shrink all of my clothes???
    2. ALCOHOL :drinker:
    3. Late night Micky D's/ Dennys runs
    4. Ben
    5. Jerry
    6. Laziness
    etc.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I had an inappropriate relationship with my fork........and my spoon,......my fridge,......the stove......food in general. Now I move more & eat less.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to say I no longer feel fat - but when I was overweight, I THOUGHT the reasons were:

1) genetics

2) self control due to uncontrollable factors such as genetics and lifestyle

3) mental inability to make the choices in a long-term environment to lose weight

But after losing the weight, the reasons I was overweight were REALLY

1) I would give up too easily; lose five pounds and tell myself that was good enough

2) I didn't have a reason that was important enough to me to snap me into a healthy life

3) I'm not sure I was really happy enough, if that makes sense. I didn't have joy on a deep level and I made up for it by treating myself to food.

Not to give anyone credit but myself, but what was going on emotionally for me at the time I started to lose weight was what I really attribute the will-power it took to get the ball rolling. I was just starting to date in a very complicated, dorm-life like way my current boyfriend who I'm very serious about. He never mentioned anything about my weight at any point in time ever, especially since he's not one to talk at 5'10" and a solid 123 pounds. Body image isn't what brought us together. But, meeting and falling in love with him was an emotional experience that I think ultimately made the difference in my weight loss.
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Took pregnancy as an excuse to eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, and however much I wanted. Once I had my son, I was left with an extra 15 kilos. Husband resented that and bullied me because of it. I developed depression and turned to food (didn't realise that was what I was doing though). Husband would say things like "You're fat, lose weight" Tried hard to lose it, but always failed. Husband would say things like "Knew you couldn't do it" and "Why do you want to look so good anyway?" Talk about confusion :explode:

Husband became Ex-Husband :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

sounds like you lost a lot of dead weight with that move right there! :tongue:

Haha! YEP!!! Still, it's my own fault I put on all the weight in the first place, so I take responsibility for that. Don't know what the hell I saw in him though!!
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I had an inappropriate relationship with my fork.

HAHAHA!!!!
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    My ex was in the military, and whenever he was home, we would eat a lot of fast food! That, and I went on "the pill" and it made me gain around 15 pounds :( I just never put myself towards losing anything until I realized I was only 25 pounds from 200! Also, my friends told me that I never needed to lose weight. I technically was in the average range (the high end-- I was still unhappy at that weight, though). Also, my boyfriend always liked my curves, and by curves I mean large thighs and jiggly butt! :ohwell:
  • Libbster2014
    Libbster2014 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have several reasons why I think I'm fat.

1) Stress - I am self-employeed which carries more stresses than the average job so I stress eat, mostly sweets
    2) Bad knees - I have had 4 knee surgeries so it keeps me from certain high impact exercises. I have to be very careful what I do or I'm out for a week. Love dance and step aerobics but can't do them often because of my knee pain.
    3) Sweets - they are truly my down fall. Doughnuts are enemy #1. I can't eat just one as a treat I have to eat the entire box.

My dad was overweight when I was a child but he lost all his weight when I was in my teens and kept it off. My mother was always skinny, so I don't think it's genetics. Truly think it's the stress that keeps my extra pounds on. When I'm at my most stressed I crave sweets like chocolate frosting (Duncan Hines), doughnuts, etc. Can't get enough of them. But with the help of MFP, I check the calories before eating that and it makes me ashamed to eat those items. I used to tell myself, if God didn't want me to eat them, then he wouldn't have created them. I know.....stupid. But that was the excuse I used for years. Now I'm all about firming up what I have. The actual weight that the scale tells me is not as important as not giggling when I walk. Before my knee surgeries I could do anything, run, bike, ski, now I can barely walk. But each day is getting better and better.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Binging.
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Potato chips kept jumping in my cart at the grocery store. It was the weirdest thing.

Now.... I am happy to report it has been over 4 weeks since I have snacked on chips... which is my biggest downfall!!!! I would sit in front of the tv and eat junk food. I have been working hard at breaking that bad habit and hopefully I can soon respond to the " Why are you so damn hot thread!" <<<< my goal :)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I'm fairly sure my father had a big hand in my weight gain and my habits. Even though he was diabetic this man ate like there was no tomorrow, had dessert with every meal, and had a habit of eating a gallon of ice cream by himself in under an hour. You can imagine how quickly he died from these habits. I also was eating a lot of take out in high school because my mother worked late nights and even weekends and the places we lived in never had a full working stove. Hell even the current one has one working burner that takes an hour to boil water for tea and an oven that doesn't work.

As for the exercise, I have what's called Joint Hypermobility Syndrome which means my joints are loose and clunk around, subluxate, or dislocate completely with ease. After band camp my freshman year I had torn both my calf muscles and couldn't walk the 3 blocks home, then in 2010 dislocated my knee during an 8 hour shift when I worked as a barista. The calves healed but the knee hasn't. Plus I'm poor as the day is long so I can't exactly afford a gym. But right now I get by with walking and some aerobics I can do inside. Plan on getting some weights. Hoping when I'm not as big (aka less pressure on my joints) I can do more.

None of it's an excuse, though. To me something's only an excuse when the situation you're trying to justify isn't changing or is really hurting you. And I'm changing the situation.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    this is ME!!!
    i had decades of my mom's issues with food projected onto me, starting at a very young age. i dealt with food in and OK fashion until after i started having kids. it went down hill after i had my third. i wasn't over eating. i was under eating, and ever since stayed the exact same.

no matter how often or hard i worked out, i stayed the same. i had no appetite, would eat once or twice a day. NEVER ate breakfast. i was diagnosed with gall stones. the doc told me it was due to eating under 1000 cal a day. i had made my digestive system so sluggish and ineffective i had developed stones!!!!

i had two more babies and barely gained weight with either of them. wore my regular pants up til the end!

i have had the mentality for SOOOOO many years, that eating food would make me fat! it never dawned on me that NOT eating enough was the reason i could not lose weight. i've been the exact same size for 6 years. for 6 yrs i have not been able to lose weight, no matter HOW MUCH i worked out!!!

i'm in great health though. i have no health issues what so ever. and i'm an extremely active person. i'm finally trying to eat 1200 cal a day. and FINALLY i'm seeing a change. it's slow, but it's there :-)

I am fat because I wasn't eating nearly enough. I was so angry...."I'm so active and really only eat once or twice a day so why am I bordering obesity?" When I was younger I was constantly eat, working out, playing with my babies, dancing around while cleaning. Life was good.... then I went back to school, worked and had no time to worry about things like nutrition or usually stop to eat except at dinner time. Not a healthy habit and as it turns out NOT eating made me fat. My body stored every bit of nutrition I did get like it was the last it would ever see.

15028112.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • VLCON
    VLCON Posts: 2
    Options
    Oh, you're not the only one with that superpower - add chocolate for good measure!:happy:
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Starbucks Venti Chai Tea Latte, with extra chai.
    The way I had it customized, over 60 gm of sugar in each one, and I drank at least one daily.

It's also why I have Type 2 diabetes.
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I love food and all the joy and celebrations of life are surrounded with food and all the disappointments and losses in life are surrounded with food .
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    1. My father thought it was funny to drink all of his money and letting my sisters and I go hungry. We were lucky to eat once a day at school. My body lived in starvation mode for years. When I moved out, my body started storing everything I ate as fat.

2. Repeated injuries to my ankles and knees made it so that I had a hard time exercising regularly

3. Genetics

4. self control due to uncontrollable factors such as genetics and lifestyle

5. mental inability to make the choices in a long-term environment to lose weight

6. I would give up too easily; lose five pounds and and give up when I hit a plateau

7. I love to bake

8. My family likes to sabotage my diet because they don't like my dieting. My mother is heavier than me and every time I start to lose close to 20 pounds she would try to start trying to sabotage me. I have two sisters that are model thin. Literally a size 5 and 8. They make fun of me because I am a size 18. My goal is to be a size 12.
  • VLCON
    VLCON Posts: 2
    Options
    1. I work such long hours (6:00 to 17:00, 6 days a week, at a desk), I'm too tired to exercise.
    2. I need to have something to look forward toat the end of the day.
    3. I've given up drinking, I've given up smoking. Do I have to give up everything I like?

I don't actually see how fat I am in the mirror but, oh how I hate photos of myself!