Couch to 5k Group - Starting Monday April 13th

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Hey all!
I am going to be starting the Couch to 5k program on monday, and would like to get a group together to keep everyone motivated. Just wanted to throw this out there - who is interested in starting?

For those not familiar with the program, you can find it here:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

A heads up, I'm going to try PMing you all once a week if you're joining to make sure everyone is progressing (or at least I plan to). I think it helps to have someone to be accountable to, I know it helps me keep flying straight. Or you can PM me to give me a progress update... this is in addition to the thread on the forums. I want everyone to succeed and stay motivated (or depending on your perspective, mildly threatened? HA!)!

Also, for those who have MP3 players, you can find a great podcast here:
http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/page4.html

Its music to listen to while you're running with the program, and includes verbal cues to know when to walk versus run. Its a bit easier than looking down at a watch every 2 seconds.

Let me know if you're interested!

Replies

• msarro
    Options
    Hey all!
    I am going to be starting the Couch to 5k program on monday, and would like to get a group together to keep everyone motivated. Just wanted to throw this out there - who is interested in starting?

For those not familiar with the program, you can find it here:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

A heads up, I'm going to try PMing you all once a week if you're joining to make sure everyone is progressing (or at least I plan to). I think it helps to have someone to be accountable to, I know it helps me keep flying straight. Or you can PM me to give me a progress update... this is in addition to the thread on the forums. I want everyone to succeed and stay motivated (or depending on your perspective, mildly threatened? HA!)!

Also, for those who have MP3 players, you can find a great podcast here:
    http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/page4.html

Its music to listen to while you're running with the program, and includes verbal cues to know when to walk versus run. Its a bit easier than looking down at a watch every 2 seconds.

Let me know if you're interested!
  • shababy
    shababy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! You will love this program. My best friend (a fellow MFP fan) and I are on Week 2. Not sure if you want me to join but if so I am game! I could give perspective for what's to come.Good luck! :happy:
  • mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Love the program! I am just finishing week 1 and will be starting on Week 2 Saturday. I would love to join!:smile:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I would love to join but I won't be getting my new running shoes until my birthday next month...I'm afraid with the crappy shoes I have now I might hurt myself, lol.

Question though, I tried downloading the podcasts to my Ipod and all I got was the 9th episode. Any idea what I did wrong to not get 1-8?
  • yari
    yari Posts: 25
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi i would love to join your group...I am on Week One Day two..I have done this program all the way through week 4 and have stopped...Aside from Roberts ullreys podcast i found one by Nicole Blummi have the link at home and will post it a lil later....Have a great day all and i look forward to starting this journey with you...

:heart: :heart: Yari:heart::heart:
  • msarro
    Options
    I would love to join but I won't be getting my new running shoes until my birthday next month...I'm afraid with the crappy shoes I have now I might hurt myself, lol.

Question though, I tried downloading the podcasts to my Ipod and all I got was the 9th episode. Any idea what I did wrong to not get 1-8?

If you're using itunes, you can click where it says podcasts, then select the podcast, right click and choose subscribe. Then you can get all the other podcasts that way :)
  • lanasgurl
    lanasgurl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Would love to join in. Started this about a month ago...made it a week and slacked off.:embarassed: Will be great to have someone to answer to!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Count me in.

I've been working on it since December. Throwing in my asthma and a little slackass'edness and I can't get much past Week 5. Maybe with a group, I'll work through it. I just threw out a copy of the daily schedule last night. How ironic.

I downloaded the podcasts but never used them. Maybe this time I'll use them.
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Can I join? I started the Couch to 5K group weeks ago but am still on week one. ): I'm lame!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    I'm in...I'll be doing Day 3 of Week 4 this weekend. Have to admit I'm kind of nervous about the next few weeks though.
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm in...I'll be doing Day 3 of Week 4 this weekend. Have to admit I'm kind of nervous about the next few weeks though.

Why are you nervous?
  • SatelliteCrush80
    Options

Why are you nervous?

Because that is the point at which I suddenly turn into a Polly Paranoid and think that I can't do it before I even try. I know good and damn well that I can run for 10 minutes or more straight through, but looking ahead at what I'm supposed to do spooked me. But I am going to do it anyway because it would be lame to not even try.
  • msarro
    Options
    Don't be nervous! You can do anything you put your mind to :)

Besides, I'm the only one allowed to be nervous, I'm farking terrified of running, lol. But thats exactly why I want to get better at it!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    Options
    Don't be nervous! You can do anything you put your mind to :)

Besides, I'm the only one allowed to be nervous, I'm farking terrified of running, lol. But thats exactly why I want to get better at it!

i'm ready to kick some bootay on Week 5. May not be going super fast, but I'll be going and that's what counts.
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm going to do it down an old track I used to ride down- NEVER sawa nother person, which means I won't be seen embarrassing the hell out of myself
  • msarro
    Options
    Just got in - took my housemate goading me to actually get me to go outside since it was about 29 degrees out. Farking cold!
    It's well worth it though! Hope everyone else has a nice run! STAY WARM!
  • mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yay! My week 2 is starting out well. I got a little sluggish at the end, but that is good .....I don't want it to be too easy!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Omgosh, are we really starting this today? eek! here goes nothing!
  • msarro
    Options
    Omgosh, are we really starting this today? eek! here goes nothing!

Hahaha, you sound like me at 6am this morning! :laugh:

Go for it! I actually feel great afterwards.