Couch to 5k Group - Starting Monday April 13th

Options

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    did day 1 week 5 this morning... it went ok... but i dont think i will be able do the 2 miles in 20 minutes in 2 running days... any suggestions? has anyone gotten through week 5? it just seems like such a quick change... im thinking of just repeating the first 2 days twice. thoughts?

I'm not sure, I've been kind of dreading it too. I think it'd be best to plot out a flat course where you can just go and get in the zone and keep running. I think its kind of like a "test" day.
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    :grumble: So I go to the shoe store last night to get my new shiny running shoes and I see several pairs I really like and pull them down and then I stand there.

At the counter the manager of the store is chatting with some kid. After five minutes just standing there I walk over and smile. And wait... finally the manager looks up, "Oh. I'll get Dennis. Just a minute." And walks off. A bit later she comes back and sits down and continues chatting with the boy.

I return to the shoe racks...

and wait.

No one comes.

Fifteen minutes later I put the shoes down and walked out. So now I don't have new shoes. :frown: And won't be returning... and there's no other shoe store in town.

BUT I've found an alternative to new shoes and that is very wonderful insoles! So I'll make do with them until I can go to the city!

All right, going to run now! See you guys later!
  • sudzie88
    sudzie88 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    did day 1 week 5 this morning... it went ok... but i dont think i will be able do the 2 miles in 20 minutes in 2 running days... any suggestions? has anyone gotten through week 5? it just seems like such a quick change... im thinking of just repeating the first 2 days twice. thoughts?

I'm not sure, I've been kind of dreading it too. I think it'd be best to plot out a flat course where you can just go and get in the zone and keep running. I think its kind of like a "test" day.

yeah... i just feel like i will flop though, and then feel discouraged. i think my plan is going to be:

1: week 5 day 1
    2: same as day 1, only adding one more 1/2 mile at the end (for a total of running 2 miles)
    3: week 5 day 2
    4: same as day 2, only adding one more 1/2 mile at the end (for a total of running 2 miles)
    5: run 1 mile, walk 1/2 mile, run 1 mile
    6: week 5 day 3!
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

Every time I run/walk/bike I walk by a local unitarian church, and on their window they have a big poster - "Fall down seven times. Get up eight."

Think about it :)

Was excited to go for a run today, but apparently I changed my alarm without remembering. So, my running buddy saw me asleep at 6am and figured we were running this afternoon, lol. So, I ended up not getting out of bed until around 8am this morning, which was nice to sleep in but I was kind of excited to run. On the upside it might be raining when I get home... I've heard running in the rain is quite the experience!

Oh yes....quite different..:smile:
  • jimswmn
    Options

I went for the time, now I'm building up the mileage. Build endurance then go for distance. Program says 2 miles or 20 minutes.
  • jimswmn
    Options
    I still cannot get past week one. :grumble: I absolutely cannot run past one minute.. .I tried for one minute thirty seconds running and nearly collapsed before I could even finish the thirty seconds!!! It was pretty horrible.

I'm not sure why it is that I can't seem to run more but whatever. I'll just stick to week one until I master it.

In other news I'm getting new running shoes today and am very excited!!!

Keep up the good work guys!!!!

Nicky, Try this...For a week if it says Run for 60 walk for 90, then run for 30 and walk for 60. When this becomes easy then go 60 and 90. Do it for all the weeks. Before you move up fully cut the next week's time intervals in half.

Not everyone was built to be a runner but that doesn't mean we can't become runners anyway. Cut yourself some slack and let your body get used to it. I think you can do it, now you just have to convince yourself you can.

Sometimes when I run I feel like oh why am I doing this, I can't do it. Then I remember a phrase Jillian uses Its not that you can't, its that you don't want to. You really have to want to do this, the benefits are plentiful. Weight loss, healthier body(lungs and heart) muscles toned , inches lost and yes new clothes. The list can go on and on.

Push yourself but know your limitations. You have to be able to push yourself out of your comfort zone. Keep going and you will get there.

((Hugs))
  • sudzie88
    Options

I went for the time, now I'm building up the mileage. Build endurance then go for distance. Program says 2 miles or 20 minutes.

really? because the most i have had to run so far without stopping is about 6 minutes... and day 2 will be about 8.... so 20 is still daunting to me, even just time wise and not mileage wise. you were able to do week 5 in the first go?
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I still cannot get past week one. :grumble: I absolutely cannot run past one minute.. .I tried for one minute thirty seconds running and nearly collapsed before I could even finish the thirty seconds!!! It was pretty horrible.

I'm not sure why it is that I can't seem to run more but whatever. I'll just stick to week one until I master it.

In other news I'm getting new running shoes today and am very excited!!!

Keep up the good work guys!!!!

Nicky, Try this...For a week if it says Run for 60 walk for 90, then run for 30 and walk for 60. When this becomes easy then go 60 and 90. Do it for all the weeks. Before you move up fully cut the next week's time intervals in half.

Not everyone was built to be a runner but that doesn't mean we can't become runners anyway. Cut yourself some slack and let your body get used to it. I think you can do it, now you just have to convince yourself you can.

Sometimes when I run I feel like oh why am I doing this, I can't do it. Then I remember a phrase Jillian uses Its not that you can't, its that you don't want to. You really have to want to do this, the benefits are plentiful. Weight loss, healthier body(lungs and heart) muscles toned , inches lost and yes new clothes. The list can go on and on.

Push yourself but know your limitations. You have to be able to push yourself out of your comfort zone. Keep going and you will get there.

((Hugs))

I think I'll try that. :) Thank you!
  • jimswmn
    Options

really? because the most i have had to run so far without stopping is about 6 minutes... and day 2 will be about 8.... so 20 is still daunting to me, even just time wise and not mileage wise. you were able to do week 5 in the first go?

Able to do the week 5 first go, it got easier but it was never easy. I am now on Week 9 Day 2. That's 30 minutes. Just keep your feet going. If you listen to music, concentrate on it. In fact concentrate on anything but the time and running. It'll start to fly by. I can remember finishing week one and looking ahead and thinking I can't run that long. Its amazing how bad you can psyche yourself out about something.
  • jimswmn
    Options
    Week 9 Day 2 ...done. One more workout and I have finished the program.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • sudzie88
    Options
    Week 9 Day 2 ...done. One more workout and I have finished the program.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

congrats!!! that is super awesome :)
  • jimswmn
    Options

congrats!!! that is super awesome :)

Jess, Thanks. Now all I have to do is survive my hub's week 10 to infinity. LOL
  • msarro
    Options
    Completely forgot to update yesterday!
    Week 3 day 2 taken care of :smile:
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Completely forgot to update yesterday!
    Week 3 day 2 taken care of :smile:

Same here & It felt great!! Congrats!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options

Congrats, Bobbi...that's so awesome!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I forgot...Week 7 Day 2 in the bag!
  • msarro
    Options
    Week 3, day 3 in the books! However, I am going to be repeating the week. Not because I don't think I can move on, but because I don't feel ready to move on yet. Every source I see says I should be able to keep my breathing under control throughout these weeks, and still at the end of 3 minutes I'm huffing and puffing away and gasping for air. I'll repeat it a week or two more until I feel comfortable enough to tackle week 4.

I love that this program has this flexibility :smile:
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I am done with Week 2 day 3. I have started to run on a track and enjoyed it. I really wish I had an IPOD. I think that would help so much with concentrating! Totally get the breathing thing. I think its harder to breath than to run LOL
  • sudzie88
    Options
    Week 3, day 3 in the books! However, I am going to be repeating the week. Not because I don't think I can move on, but because I don't feel ready to move on yet. Every source I see says I should be able to keep my breathing under control throughout these weeks, and still at the end of 3 minutes I'm huffing and puffing away and gasping for air. I'll repeat it a week or two more until I feel comfortable enough to tackle week 4.

I love that this program has this flexibility :smile:

that's great! i am doing something similar for week 5 because i dont feel ready for the 20 minute run at the end of the week still... yesterday i did a combo of days 1 and 2:
    run 1/2 mile
    walk 1/4 mile
    run 3/4 mile
    walk 1/2 mile
    run 1/2 mile
    walk 1/4
    soooo its a little different, but i think i have to build up to it slower. anyway, hooray for this program! its amazing how quickly you progress though, your lungs will start feeling better soon and then its the pain in your legs that gets ya :P
  • msarro
    Options
    I am done with Week 2 day 3. I have started to run on a track and enjoyed it. I really wish I had an IPOD. I think that would help so much with concentrating! Totally get the breathing thing. I think its harder to breath than to run LOL

The best part about music is you can't hear yourself breathe. When I start breathing heavy, I sound like I'm dying - no joke. I can keep going, but if I hear it, its a morale breaker. If I have music blasting its easy to ignore and keep going.