Couch to 5k Group - Starting Monday April 13th

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options
    Well I got out there and ran and phew my legs feel like jello. I managed to make it two miles down the 2.5 mile path before I stopped. Still feel like I should have gone longer. The fun part is that I had run 2 miles one way so my car was two miles behind me. So I deceided that I was going to push myself on the walk back and did 60 second walk/run intervals to get back the two miles. Did the four miles in just over 30 mins. Then again I am almost 6' and have legs like a giraffe.

lol

I need to sit down phew!!!

Great Job! Emoticon-DikkertjeDap-anim.gif
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    Well I got out there and ran and phew my legs feel like jello. I managed to make it two miles down the 2.5 mile path before I stopped. Still feel like I should have gone longer. The fun part is that I had run 2 miles one way so my car was two miles behind me. So I deceided that I was going to push myself on the walk back and did 60 second walk/run intervals to get back the two miles. Did the four miles in just over 30 mins. Then again I am almost 6' and have legs like a giraffe.

lol

Way to go Andrew!

I finished Week 7 today. Worked on trying to lengthen my stride, only 5'3" so there is not a :laugh: lot to work with, but I did it. Program says 2.5 miles in 25 minutes, I did 2.2. Getting there slowly but surely.:love:

Week 7......bobbi, your my hero! lol That's some amazing work you've done there! at 5'3" that's a great pace. you probably need to go two strides for every one that I have to do. Pretty soon you'll be running as fast as those horses! I am so proud to be your pal.:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • its_B
    its_B Posts: 491
    Options
    week one day 1... let u guys know how it goes..

andrew & bobbi great job supporting each other!!!!!! plus great job on ur couch to 5k work outs! ^_^
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options

lol

Way to go Andrew!

I finished Week 7 today. Worked on trying to lengthen my stride, only 5'3" so there is not a :laugh: lot to work with, but I did it. Program says 2.5 miles in 25 minutes, I did 2.2. Getting there slowly but surely.:love:

WTG Bobbi, that's so awesome! You go girl!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options

lol

That's awesome! Way to push yourself on the way back to your car!
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    week one day 1... let u guys know how it goes..

andrew & bobbi great job supporting each other!!!!!! plus great job on ur couch to 5k work outs! ^_^

Have fun and thank you!!
  • jimswmn
    Options
    Than you Shuntae!
  • jimswmn
    Options

lol

Way to go Andrew!

Week 7......bobbi, your my hero! lol That's some amazing work you've done there! at 5'3" that's a great pace. you probably need to go two strides for every one that I have to do. Pretty soon you'll be running as fast as those horses! I am so proud to be your pal.:drinker: :flowerforyou:

Thank you Andrew! I am proud to be your pal:drinker:

I run with my hubby and he's 6'2". Two steps for every one he takes.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options
    I had to take a second recovery day. Bad pair of shoes....hadn't worn them before....won't be wearing them again.:laugh: rats.
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    Week five day two in the books. Got through it easily cause I was filled with inspiration from my fitness pal Marla. Huge shout out to her for running her first five K today in a time of just over thirty mins. Way to get my butt motivated!!!!!

:drinker:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up to everyone, I've been doing some research and from what I'm seeing is that couch to 5k seems to leave out some very important information. See, it ends at week 9. Weeks 8 through 12 tend to be the ones most prone to injury. Your muscles are becoming stronger and stronger, however the ligaments and tendons are still not catching up. The downside is people can run a 5k and want to push it farther because they feel like they can with ease (and the MUSCLES can). This leads to a ton of issues with injured tendons and ligaments. Make sure once you're done with week 9 that you stick doing the same distances for a month or two until you know your legs have been more conditioned to running. The last thing I want to see is someone injured!

I'm starting to get concerned about myself though, I'm genuinely excited for tomorrow's run!!!
  • its_B
    its_B Posts: 491
    Options
    Okay so I did the first podcast today and it went wonderfully, I sweated and worked out pretty good, but i did my brisk walk at 3.5 and my jog at 5.0 and when the podcast was through I didnt want to stop running so I did half of the podcast a second time with my brisk walk at 4.0 and jog at 5.5.

I regret doing that even though I felt GREAT afterwords, It is only 11:30 and I am already feeling massively sore. Although I didnt just run while I was at the gym, I did over an hour and half worth of weight and strength training.

So tomorrows the day off then I get to do week 1 day 2! ^_^ I am loving the podcasts...
  • msarro
    Options
    Week 2 day 1 down! Not a bad run... the weather wasn't the best but it worked out pretty well. It was overcast with a light drizzle, which was actually kind of refreshing. I thought it would be much worse but that was before I realized that you have a two minute walk between each 1.5 minute run, as opposed to just 60 seconds.
  • jimswmn
    Options
    Looks like Week 8 waits for tomorrow. Its pouring down rain ( better than snow). Oh well, I think I can make myself handle another rest day.:laugh:
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I wanted to start week two today but my internet access is still restricted so I'll have to start week two on Weds. In the meantime today I did my run on a hill. Heh. WOW, that was interesting. Going down was just as hard as going up, to my surprise. Mainly because it takes a bit of effort to remain upright when going at a very steep incline.
  • msarro
    Options
    I wanted to start week two today but my internet access is still restricted so I'll have to start week two on Weds. In the meantime today I did my run on a hill. Heh. WOW, that was interesting. Going down was just as hard as going up, to my surprise. Mainly because it takes a bit of effort to remain upright when going at a very steep incline.

What did you need online? The schedule? I don't mind reposting it for you if that'll help.
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

What did you need online? The schedule? I don't mind reposting it for you if that'll help.

Yeah, I just needed the schedule but I can get it here at work. I neglected to get it Friday so couldn't start this morning, I couldn't remember what week two entailed! Thank you. I've got it now. :happy:
  • jimswmn
    Options
    Looks like Week 8 waits for tomorrow. Its pouring down rain ( better than snow). Oh well, I think I can make myself handle another rest day.:laugh:

Did week 8 day 1 as planned. Man the size of those poodles...oops puddles.:laugh: 28 minutes wasn't that bad...sure if it wasn't raining might have been a lot different.:huh:
  • FitMomRunning
    FitMomRunning Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Did week 8 day 1 as planned. Man the size of those poodles...oops puddles.:laugh: 28 minutes wasn't that bad...sure if it wasn't raining might have been a lot different.:huh:

Me too! Once again I was amazed at being able to do it. :laugh: I was also thrilled to see the number of calories burned in that time...392 according to my treadmill!! Strictly walking on varying inclines for the same amount of time I'd be lucky to hit 200. Loving this!
  • malmom
    malmom Posts: 6
    Options
    OK, so I'm a little late to the party, but thinking I want to get in on the action. I went to my iTunes to download the podcasts, and they're not cooperating. I tried both Suz's Couch to 5k Running Podcasts and Couch 2 5k podcast by Zach Snyder and neither have any content. Can anyone point me in the right iTunes direction? I'll be outside as opposed to a treadmill, so someone barking times to me would be very helpful!