Why is it when people ask u? "How did u lose weight?"

Options

Replies

• melsy21
    melsy21 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    When I tell people I keep a food journal, they usually roll their eyes "Oh, that's just too much work! Nevermind then."

Um. Okay. It really isn't that hard to log on for five minutes and track what you've put in your mouth. People are afraid of accountability, they really don't want to lose weight and are half-assing their attempts and feigning interest.

They expect a magical solution to their problem, and there really isn't. Sorry to disappoint you.

I agree with this ^^

But I guess thats the problem today, everyone wants convenience at the expense of their health
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Why is it when people ask you...."How did you lose so much weight?" And you tell them about MFP they lose interest right away? WTF? It never fails. Or they sign up just to humor you but never log in.

I think they want us to say that it was some MAGIC pill or SURGERY...I don't know.

Please share your story on what you encounter when people ask you...I'm interested to know.

They're the losers (or not so as is the case!) for switching off. This place is great! Doesn't cost, so easy, fun, great place to chat and monitor and really take control for oneself. No pills or fancy stuff required!
  • elemstuck
    Options
    Anymore I just tell most people that I eat a crap load of bacon with every meal and the weight has just been falling off. Obviously it wouldn't work, but most of these people aren't going to do it the right way anyway! At least this way I am humored and they go away excited to eat some bacon! :)
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    Options
    Why is it when people ask you...."How did you lose so much weight?" And you tell them about MFP they lose interest right away? WTF? It never fails. Or they sign up just to humor you but never log in.

I think they want us to say that it was some MAGIC pill or SURGERY...I don't know.

Please share your story on what you encounter when people ask you...I'm interested to know.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it's dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
  • Par8hed4life
    Par8hed4life Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I tell them about what I do and then I mention MFP and the food logging. The conversation usually stops -- I guess the foold logging sounds like too much work (even though it really isn't, but that is my opinion).

I agree. People think it's "too hard" and "too time consuming".

Guess they just don't want it bad enough.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I do think people are looking for the "quick fix" for losing weight. Honestly...I was one of them, about 16 or 17 years ago. Then I got into running and that sort of naturally led to making better food choices. When I had hit the 20-lb weight loss point, a co-worker came to me and said "Wow, I've noticed that you've lost a lot of weight. How are you doing it?" I said "Well, I run 4 miles before work, and then another 3 after work." She looked at me like I totally let her down, and said "Well, I'm not gonna do THAT." Hey, whatevah!
  • Katzilla82
    Options
    Most people ask but when I explain that say its too hard and show no interest.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    When people ask how I'm losing weight I just tell them I'm eating better and exercising. I tell people that I log my calories online and if they show interest I let them know about MFP, but I don't say anything otherwise. If they care they will check it out for themselves, but most people don't and that is their problem.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I tell them about the Tapeworms I ordered from indonesia....
  • kittyneutron
    kittyneutron Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I talked to my friends about it, and I cracked up on the inside when one told me, "Calorie counting just does not work for me." Hehe :laugh:
  • emstaley4
    emstaley4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    People that I have told say "Oh, I don't have time for that." or "I waste enough time on the computer"..... I would say those same things too until I made the decision to be serious about losing weight and getting healthy. It's the effort that you put into something and really this doesn't take up all that much time unless you are trolling the blogs and posts all the time. :bigsmile:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    As many others have said people want the miracle cure. I think the concept of logging everything you eat is very overwhelming when someone suggests it. It was to me at first. You have to hit rock bottom and really want it and to decide you want to put the time in, then you realise actually its pretty easy logging what you eat on here. Many people have asked and written it down, and haven't joined. My sisters been on here 5 days and I'm very proud of her. Its a big thing deciding your going to change your life and acting on it. X
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I say, "I watch what I eat and exercise" or "Good old fashioned diet and exercise"

Then they just say "It's your Boy genetics"

Then I think "Go **** yourself then. 7 months of generally healthy eating and exercise only to have it disregarded because I'm a male"

Then I let it go and smile and let them continue being obese.
  • snaus70
    Options
    A sample of the dialog.
    (me) well, i track my intake using MyFitnessPal.com and I found a great local trainer.
    (them.. gasping for a breath after their second order of fries).. well.. you know you can still eat what you want but you gotta get in the cardio. I know a guy who has a friend that just started running and lost 100lbs in like 2 weeks and he still eats 12,000 calories a day, but switched to diet coke.
    OMG too funny!!! That made my day!! :laugh:
  • sonnyless
    sonnyless Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I just tell them that ( Rick James voice)" crack is one heck of a drug"..lol

Hahahahaha.... TOO FUNNY!!
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    So true - I have said it before.

They are all wided eyed and excited and demanding to know how you did it and when you tell them (over a long period of time, watching what I eat and working out daily) you physically see them slump a little and lose interest again lol
  • flatbellybella
    flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    a girl at my MMA gym asked me and I said I use "myfitnesspal" she said "is that something you put in your drink"
    uhhhh what?

Lmao :drinker:
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I'm sure others have already said this, but I'll say it again. It's all about being in the right frame of mind. I've TRIED to lose weight more times than I can count on both hands. None of those times was I really invested in it though. If I didn't see success immediately I gave up. This time I'm in the right frame of mind and am sticking to it. It sucks a lot sometimes and I have a personal pity party and want to give up and then I look at the picture from 2 years ago when I was at my heaviest and think "No way am I going back to that!" All those other times I "KNEW" I should be counting calories and measuring/weighing my food. Did I? HELL NO, that's too much work. Now it's wrote for me and I just do it. People want an easy fix to their problem. I say I didn't put this extra person on overnight so why in the heck should I expect to lose it overnight, UNREALISTIC. I personally just say healthy eating and exercise and leave it at that. If they want to ask questions I'll answer, but giving up more is fruitless unless they want to hear it!
  • sonnyless
    sonnyless Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    There are two family members that I have told about MFP. And they both signed up. I was happy to see that, and one of them is having success with it. BUT.....I have one family member who constantly asks me how I loose weight. I tell her the same thing, and even thought I would be nice and give her a list of the foods that I eat. So.....
    *She tried tilapia and then said that it was too gross.
    *She then asked me if I REALLY eat chicken everyday.
    * Then she said that she doesn't understand why she's gained so much weight, because she hardly ever eats
    *Then she said that she can't afford the gym and I heard a cricket response when I told her to buy some DVD's
    * After all that she asked.... "so you don't take diet pills?"
    MAN..... I GIVE UP!!
  • 1RareJewel
    1RareJewel Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    smh...lol! I have had this conversation too many times.