I know its been done before but WHO DOESNT EAT THEIR EXERCIS

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Hi I wonder what the weight loss over 4 months is with people who DO eat their exercise calories and people who DONT

????

I do not. I've talked to enough people that have MBA's or PH D's in nutrition related fields and train athletes for living that disagree with that. Education + Experience + Results = I Listen. Plus my nutritionist laughed at me when I asked him. LOL

Edit: OH yeah... before somebody says you'll lose lean mass, blah blah blah blah... not losing anything. In the last month I've hit Weight and Rep PR's for various lifts.

Athlete's don't tend to be on deeply restricted calorie intakes. Olympians eat like horses.
  • harley47920
    harley47920 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I'll eat some of them. I guess it all depends. smile:
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I don't! I run a few months, but not enough where I feel like I have to eat back my calories or I'll be starving myself.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Doesn't MFP factor in one's activity level?
    Thats what i thought! There should be a disclaimer when you sign up. Did I miss it?
    Yes, you need to be proactive in learning how a program works before just jumping in.
    Try this on for size....
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work

And Tips for Newbies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies

Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hi I wonder what the weight loss over 4 months is with people who DO eat their exercise calories and people who DONT

????

I do not. I've talked to enough people that have MBA's or PH D's in nutrition related fields and train athletes for living that disagree with that. Education + Experience + Results = I Listen. Plus my nutritionist laughed at me when I asked him. LOL

Edit: OH yeah... before somebody says you'll lose lean mass, blah blah blah blah... not losing anything. In the last month I've hit Weight and Rep PR's for various lifts.

Athlete's don't tend to be on deeply restricted calorie intakes. Olympians eat like horses.

MMA Fighters? Especially leading up to a fight?
  • jeyko
    jeyko Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do but most times I don't.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Since October 1st (so just over four months), I've lost 35 pounds/16 kilograms. I've done this by eating half of my exercise calories each exercise, and very rarely eating none back.

I never eat them all back.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

????

MMA Fighters? Especially leading up to a fight?

No, they don't. They'd get their heads kicked in. I train with some MMA fighters on my gym days and they eat massive amounts - if they want to cut, they just spar a couple of hours extra a day.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options

????

Yeah but you aren't already under eating. With the amount you eat your hitting proper micro/macro targets for your current activity level. If I didn't eat back at least half of my endurance training calories, (15k+ runs normally cross country with steep hills in varying weather) I would lose muscle. Considering my BMR is 2300 and I'm eating at 1900-2000 depending on the day, I'd say a 300 calorie deficit for cutting is just dandy. Like you I love to make PR's and for me that means not starving my body of it's needs. :)

PS Are you a bodybuilding competitor? I'm curious to know why sometimes 50% of your daily protein intake is coming strictly from ON whey most days.
  • jenifer7teen
    jenifer7teen Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    it depends on how much you exercise.......

If someone is burning 100 calories "walking the dog"... it seems absurd to be worrying about starvation mode... :)

But if you are REALLY burning 1000+ calories (not using MFP's overestimations) than yes... at least some of them must be eaten back.
    Your body needs to be eating at least as much as it is BURNING through exercise to stay HEALTHY, which should be the priority over the scale.

Fitness levels, energy levels, resting heart rates, inches, body fat percentage.... THESE are the measures of health. not the scales alone!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

????

Are you targeting weight loss, weight gain, or maintenance? Is MFP set to "maintain"? Looks like you are simply getting your calorie deficit from the exercise. Just a different form of accounting.

This is nothing like the people who net around 700 cals by eating something like 1200 burning 500.
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I try to almost NEVER eat mine back if I can help it... I workout to LOSE not to even out!

:flowerforyou:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

????

Yeah but you aren't already under eating. Strong logic is strong. With the amount you eat your hitting proper micro/macro targets for your current activity level. If I didn't eat back at least half of my endurance training calories, (15k+ runs normally cross country with steep hills in varying weather) I would lose muscle. Considering my BMR is 2300 and I'm eating at 1900-2000 depending on the day, I'd say a 300 calorie deficit for cutting is just dandy. Like you I love to make PR's and for me that means not starving my body of it's needs. :)

@ Ebbysoo and taso42: I am actually on a cut. I talked with my nutritionist at first about my goals and basically told him I want to get lean, weight is irrelevant but I want my bodyfat down to 10% or better. I layed out my workout plan and cardio (he actually changed my cardio LOL) and gave me a specific diet-plan to follow for lifting days and non-lifting days. I haven't calculated my BMR in a while but I want to say it was in the ballpark of 2400-2500 calories, don't recall actually.

I thought that he might have me at maintenance calories with the deficit coming from exercise but I hit a plateau and asked him if he was going to drop my calorie total and he said no that he had started me a little bit lower so he wanted me to stay at this level for a while. I'm guessing he did start me at a bit of a deficit.

It's kind of crazy though cuz I followed carb-cycling methods for a while and I lost a lot of weight but the low-carb days got pretty brutal after a while. I'm actually eating a little less with John's method, losing more BF, and getting stronger at the same time; it's pretty sick to be honest. it's been a fun 5 weeks. :)
  • c_pointer
    c_pointer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It depends on the day.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    mehhhhh...topic has been beat to death.

Do what you want. :smile:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    @JNick77 I'm on a cut as well. I have my calories set to maintenance and I'm applying a 500 cal deficit "manually". This is exactly the same as me setting MFP to "lose 1 lb a day", and eating back all exercise calories. Most normal people set MFP to do what they're trying to do i.e., lose 1lb/week, maintain, etc, and therefore they should be eating back their calories to stay on target. What you and I are doing, is slightly different. Like I said, different form of bookkeeping. Same final number on paper.

Like I said earlier, the danger is the people who are netting just a few hundred calories a day either due to stubbornness or just not knowing any better.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options

????

Yeah but you aren't already under eating. Strong logic is strong. With the amount you eat your hitting proper micro/macro targets for your current activity level. If I didn't eat back at least half of my endurance training calories, (15k+ runs normally cross country with steep hills in varying weather) I would lose muscle. Considering my BMR is 2300 and I'm eating at 1900-2000 depending on the day, I'd say a 300 calorie deficit for cutting is just dandy. Like you I love to make PR's and for me that means not starving my body of it's needs. :)

@ Ebbysoo and taso42: I am actually on a cut. I talked with my nutritionist at first about my goals and basically told him I want to get lean, weight is irrelevant but I want my bodyfat down to 10% or better. I layed out my workout plan and cardio (he actually changed my cardio LOL) and gave me a specific diet-plan to follow for lifting days and non-lifting days. I haven't calculated my BMR in a while but I want to say it was in the ballpark of 2400-2500 calories, don't recall actually.

I thought that he might have me at maintenance calories with the deficit coming from exercise but I hit a plateau and asked him if he was going to drop my calorie total and he said no that he had started me a little bit lower so he wanted me to stay at this level for a while. I'm guessing he did start me at a bit of a deficit.

It's kind of crazy though cuz I followed carb-cycling methods for a while and I lost a lot of weight but the low-carb days got pretty brutal after a while. I'm actually eating a little less with John's method, losing more BF, and getting stronger at the same time; it's pretty sick to be honest. it's been a fun 5 weeks. :)

I follow you, If I were you I'd have probably lost my mind from the food routine, good for you for sticking to it. I'm such a foodie, if I work for it, I earned it and I'm going to enjoy it. LOL, Even while cutting. I used to carb cycle too, it helps you get there faster but I agree there is a sacrifice to performance and I like to keep making strength gains even while on a cut.
  • shellimus
    shellimus Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I do.
  • Kassieisproud
    Options
    I always under estimate my workouts even i feel like i did high impact i put low If i did 34 minutes i put 30 That way i dont feel guilty when i eat my calories back and it also leaves margin for error in my food.
  • Kassieisproud
    Options
    mehhhhh...topic has been beat to death.

Do what you want. :smile:

I love this ^^^!!!