I know its been done before but WHO DOESNT EAT THEIR EXERCIS

Options
12346»

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hi I wonder what the weight loss over 4 months is with people who DO eat their exercise calories and people who DONT

????

I do not. I've talked to enough people that have MBA's or PH D's in nutrition related fields and train athletes for living that disagree with that. Education + Experience + Results = I Listen. Plus my nutritionist laughed at me when I asked him. LOL

Edit: OH yeah... before somebody says you'll lose lean mass, blah blah blah blah... not losing anything. In the last month I've hit Weight and Rep PR's for various lifts.

Yeah but you aren't already under eating. Strong logic is strong. With the amount you eat your hitting proper micro/macro targets for your current activity level. If I didn't eat back at least half of my endurance training calories, (15k+ runs normally cross country with steep hills in varying weather) I would lose muscle. Considering my BMR is 2300 and I'm eating at 1900-2000 depending on the day, I'd say a 300 calorie deficit for cutting is just dandy. Like you I love to make PR's and for me that means not starving my body of it's needs. :)

@ Ebbysoo and taso42: I am actually on a cut. I talked with my nutritionist at first about my goals and basically told him I want to get lean, weight is irrelevant but I want my bodyfat down to 10% or better. I layed out my workout plan and cardio (he actually changed my cardio LOL) and gave me a specific diet-plan to follow for lifting days and non-lifting days. I haven't calculated my BMR in a while but I want to say it was in the ballpark of 2400-2500 calories, don't recall actually.

I thought that he might have me at maintenance calories with the deficit coming from exercise but I hit a plateau and asked him if he was going to drop my calorie total and he said no that he had started me a little bit lower so he wanted me to stay at this level for a while. I'm guessing he did start me at a bit of a deficit.

It's kind of crazy though cuz I followed carb-cycling methods for a while and I lost a lot of weight but the low-carb days got pretty brutal after a while. I'm actually eating a little less with John's method, losing more BF, and getting stronger at the same time; it's pretty sick to be honest. it's been a fun 5 weeks. :)

I follow you, If I were you I'd have probably lost my mind from the food routine, good for you for sticking to it. I'm such a foodie, if I work for it, I earned it and I'm going to enjoy it. LOL, Even while cutting. I used to carb cycle too, it helps you get there faster but I agree there is a sacrifice to performance and I like to keep making strength gains even while on a cut.

Ha! Well lucky for me I'm not a huge foodie. My food weakness is Pizza and chocolate. I live in Vegas so there's no such thing as good pizza like when I lived in Chicago or for those that live around NY. As long as I don't keep Chocolate in the house I'm good to go and don't go out and buy it. I like one off foods like Capriotti's sandwhiches but not enough to break my diet. I only have like 10 weeks left to work with John so if I don't get my results because of some breakdowns in food then I wasted some cash. Working with him has been a great learning experience for me.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    YES I eat every last one I can and go over that sometimes too. I learned the hard way what starving your body will. (Eating 800-1000 calories and burning 700- 2000) It's just not worth it. I said the same thing this time last year a lot of you are saying now "What's the point in burning calories just to eat them again" " I want to lose not maintain or gain weight" . The end result was a jacked up metabolism, thinning hair, brittle finger nails etc. and I thought since I wasn't hungry that I was ok but guess what that's just a sign of a slowed metabolism. Needless to say I now eat 1600-2000 calories a day and I'm losing weight again and can gaining in all my lifts. My body composition has changed drastically and that's what I want. Also I'm no longer a "scale *kitten*" I weighting in about 4x per year every 3 months other times I measure and go by how my clothes are fitting.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I lost 17lbs in 6 weeks and I never touch my exercise calories. Glad I haven't because I just got a HRM this weekend and MFP was wayyyyy over estimating my calories burned by 70%....

2521768.png
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I eat back at least half of them but usually all of them. 1400 calories just isn't enough, especially when I workout hard.
  • katiemcddid
    Options
    SO now im confused, MFP has me on 1600 calories a day, I usually work out 6 days a week and burn between 800 and 1200 calories. Not including weights and training which I do atleast 3 times a week. I tried to cut down to 1200 a day and was getting dizzy and week. To lose my last 50 pounds AND build muscle how many calories should i be eating??
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I dont because i'm not guaranteed a workout on any given day.
    I set MFP to 20% below TDEE and stick to it.
    Besides as long as I dont do cardio I probably wont dip too close to BMR to do any harm.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    SO now im confused, MFP has me on 1600 calories a day, I usually work out 6 days a week and burn between 800 and 1200 calories. Not including weights and training which I do atleast 3 times a week. I tried to cut down to 1200 a day and was getting dizzy and week. To lose my last 50 pounds AND build muscle how many calories should i be eating??

you'll want to read this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

1600+whatever you burn in exercise. Simples.
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think we all have a tendency to overestimate cals burned and underestimate cals eaten. So I try to only eat about half my exercise cals back. Seems to be working so far.

To the OP. Your question seems to assume there will be a pattern to it, but there probably won't. Weight loss is a very individual journey and what works for one person may hinder another. Just maintain a calorie deficit and keep revising it based on your weekly weigh ins. If two weeks go by and you don't lose drop it, if two weeks go by and you lose 10lbs, then eat a bit more. It's a moving target.

this.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I do. Some of them anyway. Maybe I'll shoot for half.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I've lost 72lbs not eating them back (would eat some of them if I was hungry, but not otherwise) as directed by my personal trainer. However, I've been on a plateau since the end of October, so I'm experimenting with eating them back more consistently, or at least some of them, and raising my calorie goal in general - i.e. switching from 2lbs/week to 1 lb/week. Hopefully this works. :ohwell:
  • Lorie66
    Options
    I do both..I only eat them when im hungry
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Up until this weekend, I ate back ALL of my exercise calories (sometimes going over by 100 calories). I also had a couple of cheat days where I went over by 500 calories or so. And as of this morning, I've lost 13 lb (started MFP on Jan 2).

But.....my PT asked me to try eating more protein (chicken, lean beef, protein shakes, etc). I'm finding that I'm STUFFED now. On Saturday, my rest day, I *barely* made it to my 1,200 calories. Yesterday, I burned 500 calories at the gym (per my HRM) and ate constantly all afternoon and just couldn't stomach eating one more thing by bedtime. I had about 200 calories left over. I was actually just going to post this on the nutrition boards......not sure if this is a problem or not.

Curious to read everyone's answers to this.
  • Lorie66
    Options
    YES I eat every last one I can and go over that sometimes too. I learned the hard way what starving your body will. (Eating 800-1000 calories and burning 700- 2000) It's just not worth it. I said the same thing this time last year a lot of you are saying now "What's the point in burning calories just to eat them again" " I want to lose not maintain or gain weight" . The end result was a jacked up metabolism, thinning hair, brittle finger nails etc. and I thought since I wasn't hungry that I was ok but guess what that's just a sign of a slowed metabolism. Needless to say I now eat 1600-2000 calories a day and I'm losing weight again and can gaining in all my lifts. My body composition has changed drastically and that's what I want. Also I'm no longer a "scale *kitten*" I weighting in about 4x per year every 3 months other times I measure and go by how my clothes are fitting.

She is right on the best answer!! ^^^^^
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    for all these people who dont eat theirs back...im trying to figure out how is ur body able to subsist off of the small say 1200 calories when u are burning a thousand calories??? that math just doesnt make any sense!!! its like a car with no gas...if the gas gets expended how is it expected to run correctly...u might be losing weight but the question is - are u losing weight in the right way??? just hope u dont F up ur bodies just because u dont want to eat what you've worked for...whatevs