Does black caffeinated coffee count as daily water

Options

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

You're straying from the topic at hand.

I love how many people pick on me in this forum when ALL I DID WAS POST A SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN ARTICLE. I got the "oh, the government paid the scientists...blah blah blah. It's not like I posted a trash magazine article or a link to FOX news (paid for by a coffee company).
    You started talking about sugar. Don't call out others for being off topic if you don't enjoy the same, just sayin.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    No because it is a diuretic.

Wrong. Where do you get this information? It does not make you pee any more so than any other liquid.

Coffee makes me pee way more than anything else, but I don't know any facts. I just like coffee!
  • sfh0wrd
    Options
    Coffee makes me pee way more than anything else, but I don't know any facts. I just like coffee!

Ha! That's for sure.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Wrong. Where do you get this information? It does not make you pee any more so than any other liquid.

I thought the same thing, but now I'm thinking its just the placebo effect.
  • CanDurkin
    Options
    I almost don't want to get into what is obviously a no-winning-side debate, but hell I'll put in my two cents and leave it at that. I grew up in a house hold that was very health conscious for the most part. Lots of water, 100% fruit juice, we didn't keep white sugar in the house, only whole wheat bread, no fun sugar filled cereals ect. Pretty boring for a kid. My Mom was into "alternative" medicine so we didn't go to the doctor or hospital unless something was broken or wouldn't stop bleeding for the most part. LOL. But, we didn't get sick very often either. I would be very interested to see how often those of you who are logging non-water as water get sick and how long you stay sick. How often do you have headaches (side effect of dehydration)? Do you sleep well? Do you wake up feeling "well?" I don't think that coffee and sodas are the Devil. I love tea! But I do think that sodas are empty calories, that should probably be avoided if you're trying to loose weight and get healthy. And, I assume that is what you're trying to do if you're participating on MFP?

Anyway, if MFP wanted you to log all of your liquid intake I'm sure they would have made it read "Liquid Consumption" and not "Water Consumption," but that's just me. I'm not a super smart scientist that's been doing super important research for years and years so I'm sure my thoughts on the matter are really null and void.

So to answer the original posters question, no I don't think you should count coffee as part of your WATER consumption.

Thank you and I hope all of you have a fantastic Valentine's Day!
    I actually don't log water or fluids unless they have calories but certainly never drink 8 cups of water a day.
    Very rarely get sick (and I'm over fifty). Only time I get headaches is when I go too long without coffee but that's easily cured:smile:

Ah yes, addiction. It is a pain in the butt.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    These threads always end up with people just saying their opinion, without actually even reading the thread or the links to research posted.

As long as the OP can work out who to believe.

Note there are no links to research for the "caffeinated drinks dont count" brigade. I never stop feeling amazed at the amount of people who cant differentiate between "water" and "pure water". People really believe when they cay 8 cups of water a day, they mean pure water, then they dont. They just mean "water". From any source, with pretty much anything in it.

One does CLEARLY not need 8 cups of PURE water a day. I, and many like me, NEVER drink pure water, and I've never felt better, stronger, fitter, healthier, or more hydrated. I get MY water from other sources. SURELY that is proof enough that we dont need NEAT water, no?
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    These threads always end up with people just saying their opinion, without actually even reading the thread or the links to research posted.

Note there are no links to research for the "caffeinated drinks dont count" brigade. I never stop feeling amazed at the amount of people who cant differentiate between "water" and "pure water". People really believe when they cay 8 cups of water a day, they mean pure water, then they dont. They just mean "water". From any source, with pretty much anything in it.

One does CLEARLY not need 8 cups of PURE water a day. I, and many like me, NEVER drink pure water, and I've never felt better, stronger, fitter, healthier, or more hydrated. I get MY water from other sources. SURELY that is proof enough that we dont need NEAT water, no?
    When you say "pure" water, do you mean morally righteous? Because I like to drink loose, slutty water.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I almost don't want to get into what is obviously a no-winning-side debate, but hell I'll put in my two cents and leave it at that. I grew up in a house hold that was very health conscious for the most part. Lots of water, 100% fruit juice, we didn't keep white sugar in the house, only whole wheat bread, no fun sugar filled cereals ect. Pretty boring for a kid. My Mom was into "alternative" medicine so we didn't go to the doctor or hospital unless something was broken or wouldn't stop bleeding for the most part. LOL. But, we didn't get sick very often either. I would be very interested to see how often those of you who are logging non-water as water get sick and how long you stay sick. How often do you have headaches (side effect of dehydration)? Do you sleep well? Do you wake up feeling "well?" I don't think that coffee and sodas are the Devil. I love tea! But I do think that sodas are empty calories, that should probably be avoided if you're trying to loose weight and get healthy. And, I assume that is what you're trying to do if you're participating on MFP?

Anyway, if MFP wanted you to log all of your liquid intake I'm sure they would have made it read "Liquid Consumption" and not "Water Consumption," but that's just me. I'm not a super smart scientist that's been doing super important research for years and years so I'm sure my thoughts on the matter are really null and void.

So to answer the original posters question, no I don't think you should count coffee as part of your WATER consumption.

Thank you and I hope all of you have a fantastic Valentine's Day!
    I actually don't log water or fluids unless they have calories but certainly never drink 8 cups of water a day.
    Very rarely get sick (and I'm over fifty). Only time I get headaches is when I go too long without coffee but that's easily cured:smile:

Ah yes, addiction. It is a pain in the butt.

yes, but I enjoy it. And most addictions don't come with benefits like decreasing risk of cancer and diabetes.
  • MN_Husker
    Options
    While 8 glasses may not be needed, the following statement is absolutely true. "The more WATER you drink, the less your body retains." If you don't drink much water, you could easily drop 6 - 8 lbs. of water weight within a week of increased water intake.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've posted this dozens and dozens of times on MFP and I'm posting it again here for you all. Read, learn, and be amazed.

Why the 8 glasses of water a day is a MYTH:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day

Thanks for posting the link to this article. From a purely rational viewpoint this article makes a great deal of sense. I personally have not been counting water consumption, but between coffee (usually decaf), diet soda, sugar free drink mixes, and water I probably do consume at least 64 ounces in an average day. Even though I don't choose to guzzle plain water all day long, it doesn't seem to be a roadblock to successful weight loss for me.

Another myth busted?
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    While 8 glasses may not be needed, the following statement is absolutely true. "The more WATER you drink, the less your body retains." If you don't drink much water, you could easily drop 6 - 8 lbs. of water weight within a week of increased water intake.

You lost me, if I don't drink i could lose water weight from increased water intake?

This sounds like a math story problem.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

You lost me, if I don't drink i could lose water weight from increased water intake?

This sounds like a math story problem.

It's not a maths equation. Your body will only release stores in your body if it HAS to if it doesn't recieve the right signals from consuming what it needs.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

When you say "pure" water, do you mean morally righteous? Because I like to drink loose, slutty water.

nice!!! :laugh:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I've posted this dozens and dozens of times on MFP and I'm posting it again here for you all. Read, learn, and be amazed.

I call BS and this retired professor is the ONLY person I have ever heard say this.

Water is vital to our existence. No soda, tea, juice, coffee, etc............ Water is vital.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    That article was very helpful. I've been feeling guilty trying to get all that water down during the day. That's a LOT of water to be drinking.

64 oz is not a lot of water. I drink 64 oz of water before 10 am.
  • sunnyday789
    Options

I call BS and this retired professor is the ONLY person I have ever heard say this.

Water is vital to our existence. No soda, tea, juice, coffee, etc............ Water is vital.
    Actually a lot of people have said it. ( Look up post by HMonsterX)
    But if you're calling BS I guess you have a lot of scientific studies/data, right?
    BTW no one disagrees that your body needs water; we're just saying your body can get water from coffee, juice, milk etc
  • forgottenfraggle
    Options
    I hesitated to respond to this for about 11 seconds. But here's my two cents: Your body will process the fluid out of whatever you put into it that has fluid. Coffee, tea, soda, juice, et al. Short term, you're hydrating your body. Long-term? You should pay attention. As a coffee drinker (3 or more cups a day) I paid attention to the prof of my nutrition class saying caffeine has calcium leeching effects and I should add milk to counteract that; non-fat to avoid additional fat intake. And I know drinking sugars is no good for those with diabetes or who are pre-diabetic. Then again, drinking pure water when you are already severely dehydrated can cause your body not to absorb it, so you need sodium (I've heard doctors recommend eating saltines AND drinking water) to replenish your body's hydration level.

So, I log for water, log for calories, and pay attention to my specific needs. Scientifically? Liquid= + or - water. Nutritionally? Pay attention to your own needs.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options

Actually, he is right. The dosage that is required to cause significant diuresis is substantial, but I'm sure many people exceed that dose (I drink probably around 500-1000mg of caffeine a day, give or take, personally). All of the methylxanthines, the group of drugs of which caffeine is a member, act as diuretics. Here is a nice article from the National Institute of Health if you'd like to educate yourself:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3275788

Does this mean coffee doesn't count as water? It depends on your intake. Substantial intake of caffeine or any other diuretic should be offset with increased water intake.
  • lolabugs
    lolabugs Posts: 141
    Options
    ok, I will share this one more time...

Coffee... Log it as Coffee
    Tea .... Log it as Tea
    Soda / Pop .... Log it as Soda / Pop
    Apple Juice .... Log it as Apple Juice
    Milk..... Log it as Milk
    Water.... Hello log THAT as Water

Its really not that difficult to remember that. Why must you try and give yourself "excuses". Water is Water is Water.

Thank you!! I completely agree that by documenting coffee and soda as water, people are making excuses not to drink water. I am extremely sensitive to caffein and it makes me urinate more frequently. Some may not experience it like I do, but it is a diuretic. If you are working out consistently, why not give your body what it really needs? You can still enjoy that cup of coffee or soda (which I would not recommend if you're trying to lose weight, since there are around 17 Tbsp of sugar in a 20oz soda). Why not just drink water as well? I really don't see why people have such a problem with drinking water. It's one of our most basic necessities (3 minutes without air, 3 days without WATER, and ~3 weeks without food).
  • sunnyday789
    Options
    ok, I will share this one more time...

Coffee... Log it as Coffee
    Tea .... Log it as Tea
    Soda / Pop .... Log it as Soda / Pop
    Apple Juice .... Log it as Apple Juice
    Milk..... Log it as Milk
    Water.... Hello log THAT as Water

Its really not that difficult to remember that. Why must you try and give yourself "excuses". Water is Water is Water.

Thank you!! I completely agree that by documenting coffee and soda as water, people are making excuses not to drink water. I am extremely sensitive to caffein and it makes me urinate more frequently. Some may not experience it like I do, but it is a diuretic. If you are working out consistently, why not give your body what it really needs? You can still enjoy that cup of coffee or soda (which I would not recommend if you're trying to lose weight, since there are around 17 Tbsp of sugar in a 20oz soda). Why not just drink water as well? I really don't see why people have such a problem with drinking water. It's one of our most basic necessities (3 minutes without air, 3 days without WATER, and ~3 weeks without food).

Our bodies do get water when we drink juice and milk etc. The water from these beverages is absorbed into our bloodstream the same way if we drank straight water.
    I see no need to overhydrate myself, that's why I have "a problem" with drinking an additional eight cups a day. If you want to run to the bathroom every hour, that's great.I f you feel better drinking that much, great. Just don't tell me we all need to drink that much fluid to keep hydrated.