Does black caffeinated coffee count as daily water

Options

Replies

• grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I really can't believe this is even a topic on here......

Water = water. Coffee = coffee.

This is why it pays to actually read the thread. People are responding without reading its angering the ones who want to promote good science.
  • Susancarole
    Susancarole Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you Onesnap. Science is good. Now back to my Diet Dr. Pepper...
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options

Using new math, I will choose the answer that makes me feel the best.

Amen! To each their own!

"using new math" that kill me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    LIquid is water based. I count it was water.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

If you like chemicals made in a lab go right ahead. Did you know Truvia is made from 40 chemical compounds? The FDA does not require Truvia to put that on the label.

I prefer real sugar. And raw honey. Enjoy your fake sugar.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Onesnap, and how does your response to my post contribute to the OP's question?
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    YES! When I was training with the Fleet Feet half marathing training team we met with a nutritionalist and she said YES, black coffee counts as a water intake!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    You're getting way off topic. Stick to the topic at hand please or I will report you.
    Feel free to. The topic has been beaten like a dead horse that owed it's owner money. Clearly items containing water are hydrating to the body. Thinking that because some other ingredients come in to play, that suddenly water is not hydrating any more is beyond me. Diuretic effects of caffeine are no where near enough to negate the hydrating effect of the water it contains. There...I'm on topic...carry on with the thrashing of this poor horse and call me back when it's time for the eulogy.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Onesnap, and how does your response to my post contribute to the OP's question?

Actually, many pages ago the OP thanked me for MY response. So there.
  • lyoung0216
    Options
    I think some of the people posting these questions are just trying to get it right. They are trying to cross every "T" and dot every "I" on their food diary. It makes sense. Here's the thing...your water log doesn't have anything to do with your calories. If something has calories in it, log it in your food diary. If you would like, add it also to your water log (if you use it to remember how much you've had to drink for the day, good for you!) There is no special note that will pop up at the bottom if you don't log everything you drink or if you do not hit the magic 8 number. It will not change your calorie intake for the day at all. It will not help you lose weight faster. If you are thirsty...drink what you like to keep yourself hydrated. Use water if you want no calories...use something else if water makes you gag (just rememer to add in your calories and you will be fine!) The important thing is to drink SOMETHING throughout the day.

ditto. If you drink coffee (which the mfp database states is 2 calories) then log it in your food diary and add it to your water log. Its technically both right?
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I was told by my Doctor that any drink such as coffee, tea and/or sodas count as water.

Your doctor told you soda counts as water? Really?

Yea, I'm confused by this as well. I don't see how a medical professional would say that a beverage that is pure sugar and chemicals could count as water?
    is it not made with water? Is the largest component not water? What is it then? Wood???

These drinks can count as a water intake.

Back in my old days of nursing we did I/Os (in/outs) we did not care if it was milk, juice, water or coffee it was an 'in'. Outs were collected in a urinal and the color (light, dark amber,...) was noted.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

If you like chemicals made in a lab go right ahead. Did you know Truvia is made from 40 chemical compounds? The FDA does not require Truvia to put that on the label.

You're straying from the topic at hand.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I've posted this dozens and dozens of times on MFP and I'm posting it again here for you all. Read, learn, and be amazed.

Why the 8 glasses of water a day is a MYTH:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day

I like this article because it gave me the answer I wanted!

That last line there. That was the OP thanking me on page 1. So there.
  • jschuler616
    Options
    Exactly! My nutritionist said the same thing. For every ounce of coffe, soda, tea, you should drink 2 oz water.
  • I1ahunt
    Options
    I make my pre work out suplement with 16 oz of water..........I make my post work out supplement with 16 oz of water.......is that 4 glasses of water for the day????

I really don't care ....I don't count it......I really only count calories, with everything else I do what makes me feel best.........I think a few of the main reasons that people put the emphasis on drinking so much water when you are working out and trying to diet are 1) you need to stay hydrated when you are working out due to water loss from percperation.....2) water helps make you feel full thus making it easier for you to eat less......
  • Susancarole
    Susancarole Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Yeah, I know, but I do like the chemicals. It's my only real vice and at about 20 oz. per day I'm just not prepared to give it up. My thank you was sincere -- I really do appreciate the science and those who take the time to research before spouting.
  • Onesnap
    Options

You're straying from the topic at hand.

I love how many people pick on me in this forum when ALL I DID WAS POST A SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN ARTICLE. I got the "oh, the government paid the scientists...blah blah blah. It's not like I posted a trash magazine article or a link to FOX news (paid for by a coffee company).
  • Onesnap
    Options

Yeah, I know, but I do like the chemicals. It's my only real vice and at about 20 oz. per day I'm just not prepared to give it up. My thank you was sincere -- I really do appreciate the science and those who take the time to research before spouting.

I understand. I had no idea your message was sincere. I appreciate the clarification.

In my house we don't eat fake sugar. Fake sugar is a headache inducer for me and my doctor has told me to stay away.

My point is always if fake sugars are not safe for a pregnant woman how are they safe for the rest of us?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    This thread is boring. The OP got his answer. I'm with killagb. Just walk away... the horse is dead.
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    Typically, anything with caffeine in it is likely to dehydrate you, and to drink equal amounts of water. My vote is on no, it's not part of your daily water.

This is what my nutritionist told me too. She said if I drink a 8 oz coffee, I should back it with 8 oz water. My family dr. and my OB have said the same thing. So my vote, caffeinated drinks do not count as your water for the day. That said, it has not stopped me from having my morning caffeinated coffee. :drinker: