Drinking with Meals (Don’t do it.) From my Nutritionist

Options
Yes. We have all heard fill up on water, but how and when you do it is just as important.
"Drinking a cup of cool water 15 to 20 minutes before your meal can make you feel full sooner."

BUT...Do not drink during meals or an hour afterwards… EVER.
It will wash your small meals right through your stomach and leave you feeling hungry.
However, drinking a cup of cool water 15 to 20 minutes before your meal can be a good thing. It can make you feel full sooner after you start to eat.

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    might I ask your nutritionists background and qualifications?
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, because I was chronically constipated my GI guy told me to drink with my meals so that the water would have something to bind to.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I just don't get it. Sorry.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Yes. We have all heard fill up on water, but how and when you do it is just as important.
    "Drinking a cup of cool water 15 to 20 minutes before your meal can make you feel full sooner."

BUT...Do not drink during meals or an hour afterwards… EVER.
    It will wash your small meals right through your stomach and leave you feeling hungry.
    However, drinking a cup of cool water 15 to 20 minutes before your meal can be a good thing. It can make you feel full sooner after you start to eat.

So drinking during meals causes the food to instantly digest? Or might your nutritionist be making things up?
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This is simply not true. It's misinformation that seems to pop up now and then, only to be discredited and disappear. I remember in the early 90's my gullible health-nut mother read this in a magazine and stopped giving us milk with dinner. I went to the library and came home with books and journal articles disproving the myth...I got to drink my milk again.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    lmao...this is funny. It's a joke...right...?
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your nutritionist had a bump on the head, or you misinterpreted what he/she suggested.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    If you believe that I have some primo real estate to sell you..
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    This is why I only drink beer or wine with meals.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    This is why I only drink beer or wine with meals.

I like this idea! :-)
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Does this mean any soup I eat is instantly washed through my stomach and will leave me feeling hungry?
  • I'm sorry...I don't think you can "wash away" your meal.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I can't see how drinking your calories is going to help, unless you plan on doing it forever. I would much rather eat my food.
    It's a lot harder to educate yourself on healthy eating then it is to drink a protein shake. I rather go for healthy eating.
  • monbeaucher
    monbeaucher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I understand drinking before the meal making yourself feel fuller quicker, but not drinking during a meal? I will politely reject.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    If this is true, something is wrong with me...... I should weigh like 4 lbs. if water washes your food away.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I can't see how drinking your calories is going to help, unless you plan on doing it forever. I would much rather eat my food.
    It's a lot harder to educate yourself on healthy eating then it is to drink a protein shake. I rather go for healthy eating.

I'm not sure where this comment came from. It doesn't seem to address anything that I have read above?

Update, I think I understand now, this poster did not read the OP's actual post. Instead she just read the title, and misread "drinking with meals" as "drinking your meals" or just "drinking meals." I also love the assumption that supplementing protein means you haven't bothered to educate yourself about nutrition.
  • giggles1973
    giggles1973 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    What if I'm thirsty while I'm eating :cry: in all seriousness this can not be true!!!
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    From the Mayo Clinic:

Water after meals: Does it disturb digestion?

Does drinking water during or after a meal disturb digestion?

Answer

from Michael F. Picco, M.D.

There's no concern that water will dilute the digestive juices or interfere with digestion. In fact, drinking water during or after a meal can actually improve digestion. Water and other liquids help break down the food in your stomach and keep your digestive system on track. Looking for other ways to promote good digestion? Focus on a healthy lifestyle. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Maintain a healthy weight. Include physical activity in your daily routine.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/digestion/AN01776
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    All I have to say to the OP is

facepalm.gif
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't exactly buy that. I have been told not to drink a LOT of water during a meal, as it can deplete the nutrients in your food before your body has time to absorb them, but even then we're talking like a really large quantity of water.

I'm not a nutritionist, but I have seen a registered dietician who has worked in hospitals and she has never tried to tell me anything like that. She actually put in my meal plan to have a glass of water during each meal.