Drinking with Meals (Don’t do it.) From my Nutritionist

Options

Replies

• MStrawn
    MStrawn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think this goes along with what she said. She didn't say anything about diluting vit/min or calories. she simply said it could make you hungry faster.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/437589-why-drinking-water-with-a-meal-causes-weight-gain/

Maybe the nutritionist is trying to help simply with weightloss. :)
  • Lrt4uk
    Lrt4uk Posts: 174
    Options
    It's true! I had bypass surgery 3yrs ago and I am not suppouse to drink anything 30min before, during or after I eat. Because it does make your food go through at a faster rate. Therefore making you hungery sooner that later

My aunt had bypass surgery and the reason she was told not to drink with her meals is because the liquid takes up space. she needs to eat the 4 oz of FOOD allowed, not waste space with liquid.

Just sayin...it had nothing to do with flushing the food thru at a faster rate.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options

washes meals through the stomach????!!!! That's just funny!!

As funny as statements like fructose turns right to fat and is used for nothing else? Or that sat fats are only bad in the presence of cho?
    What makes you full is a "signal" from your adipose tissue (fat tissue) to your brain. I belive it is called Leptin. You know what makes that signal happen. EATING FAT!! Carbohydrates do not create that signal so your brain never receives it - this is why carbs keep you hungry.

Please stop making things up

Effects of short-term carbohydrate or fat overfeeding on energy expenditure and plasma leptin concentrations in healthy female subjects. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2000 Nov;24(11):1413-8.
    CHO OF increased plasma leptin concentrations by 28%, and 24 h EE by 7%. Basal metabolic rate and the energy expended during physical activity were not affected. FAT OF did not significantly change plasma leptin concentrations or energy expenditure

Um, sorry, what does this have to do w/ drinking water at a meal?
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My landlady who does colonic hydrotherapy and bio-energetic health screenings with metal poles etc for a living says the same. But she also says that i made the damp on the wall of the room i rent from her because i breath in that direction when i sleep and that because i don't have a large intestine i am technically mostly brain dead....
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I drink with my meals all the time and not by choice, had an operation as a baby to connect my esophagus to my throat . After growing etc, there is a narrowness in one spot (apparently I am not stretchy lol) I have to drink with my meals to ensure that everything goes down to my stomach and I can go the normal 3-5 hrs in between meals without feeling hungry, and I am the most "regular" person I know (10am everyday lol) Considering I have had to do this my whole life clearly is evidence that is untrue
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    double-facepalm.jpg
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    I am sure my kidney doctor would have a fit if I followed that advice.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    From the Mayo Clinic:

Water after meals: Does it disturb digestion?

Does drinking water during or after a meal disturb digestion?

Answer

from Michael F. Picco, M.D.

There's no concern that water will dilute the digestive juices or interfere with digestion. In fact, drinking water during or after a meal can actually improve digestion. Water and other liquids help break down the food in your stomach and keep your digestive system on track. Looking for other ways to promote good digestion? Focus on a healthy lifestyle. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Maintain a healthy weight. Include physical activity in your daily routine.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/digestion/AN01776
    ^^ There ya go:smile::smile:
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I am sure my kidney doctor would have a fit if I followed that advice.

You refer to your Nephrologist as a kidney doctor? Methinks you type in jest. :p
  • MissssC
    MissssC Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have heard the same thing from other nutritionalists as well. I was told that green tea is the only thing you should drink with a meal. Water messes with the digestive juices needed to break down the food.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It is also IMPERATIVE that you NEVER eat red colored foods mixed with blue colored foods. They'll mix and spawn a virus that will kill all cute kittens on the planet. Please, think of the kitties.

129007889495023291.jpg

Thank g*d my kittens are ugly.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    This is why I only drink beer or wine with meals.

Or coffee with the first meal.

shoot. coffee is only for the first meal?

I don't know why we can't have beer or wine with the breakfast!
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    All I have to say to the OP is

facepalm.gif

Ya! This
  • Marycandoit
    Options
    This applies to the small meals eaten after you have had bypass surgery to make your stomach small. It is advised as patients with a bypass often get dumping syndrom caused by the food going thru their system too quickly. If you have had not had surgery then drinking water with the meal is fine. Not an expert but I do have a sister who had the surgery. She lost 120 pounds. Today she is a size 8. Maybe someday I will be a size 7 :love:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    So water before a meal sits in your stomach, but water after a meal flushes straight through?
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    My landlady who does colonic hydrotherapy and bio-energetic health screenings with metal poles etc for a living says the same. But she also says that i made the damp on the wall of the room i rent from her because i breath in that direction when i sleep and that because i don't have a large intestine i am technically mostly brain dead....

The fact that she does "colonic hydrotherapy" would cause me to question any health advice she gives. There is absolutely no scientific evidence that such practices are necessary or even beneficial.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I have heard the same thing from other nutritionalists as well. I was told that green tea is the only thing you should drink with a meal. Water messes with the digestive juices needed to break down the food.

green tea has water. now what?
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Man EFF that. Ill drink my wine. and I'll smile about it too.