Drinking with Meals (Don’t do it.) From my Nutritionist

Options

Replies

• csparon
    csparon Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    The only time I heard of this was with a gastric bypass patient. I never heard it for someone who has not had this surgery.
  • holiday99
    Options
    i've heard this before.. it helps with digestion (at least for me)!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Yes. We have all heard fill up on water, but how and when you do it is just as important.
    "Drinking a cup of cool water 15 to 20 minutes before your meal can make you feel full sooner."

BUT...Do not drink during meals or an hour afterwards… EVER.
    It will wash your small meals right through your stomach and leave you feeling hungry.
    However, drinking a cup of cool water 15 to 20 minutes before your meal can be a good thing. It can make you feel full sooner after you start to eat.

washes meals through the stomach????!!!! That's just funny!!

My view: your stomach acid has a specific pH for breaking down food in the stomach. Downing a big old glass of water (or liquid at a meal) can dilute that stomach acid and cause some digestive issues (I can't drink water on an empty stomach).

I drink nothing before, during, or after other than maybe sipping some red wine. What makes you full is a "signal" from your adipose tissue (fat tissue) to your brain. I belive it is called Leptin. You know what makes that signal happen. EATING FAT!! Carbohydrates do not create that signal so your brain never receives it - this is why carbs keep you hungry. And sugar travels the same brain pathways as opiate drugs and grains contain exorphins which are a morphine-like compound that also create "addiction". This is why you have to eat carbs every couple of hours - to get your "fix".
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I cured a chronic constipation issue by adopting a habit of drinking water with my meals. So, I'll have to politely disagree with this one.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Also, patients who have had gastric bypass surgery have to be careful drinking while eating because a lot of foods (beans, grains) get bigger in water.....and those who have had their stomach size surgically reduced don't have room for the expansion.

I think the nutritionist didn't give the OP the full story....but that isn't her fault.

Or the OP has had a gastric bypass, and nutritionist was giving her appropriate advice for her body after surgery (although with an odd explanation), and OP over-generalized.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Details on food/nutrition aside, your stomach and intestines don't work that way.
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    Hooray Internet!
    From the Mayo Clinic:

Water after meals: Does it disturb digestion?

Does drinking water during or after a meal disturb digestion?

Answer

from Michael F. Picco, M.D.

There's no concern that water will dilute the digestive juices or interfere with digestion. In fact, drinking water during or after a meal can actually improve digestion. Water and other liquids help break down the food in your stomach and keep your digestive system on track. Looking for other ways to promote good digestion? Focus on a healthy lifestyle. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Maintain a healthy weight. Include physical activity in your daily routine.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/digestion/AN01776
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    This is why I only drink beer or wine with meals.

Or coffee with the first meal.

shoot. coffee is only for the first meal?
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Yes. We have all heard fill up on water, but how and when you do it is just as important.
    "Drinking a cup of cool water 15 to 20 minutes before your meal can make you feel full sooner."

BUT...Do not drink during meals or an hour afterwards… EVER.
    It will wash your small meals right through your stomach and leave you feeling hungry.
    However, drinking a cup of cool water 15 to 20 minutes before your meal can be a good thing. It can make you feel full sooner after you start to eat.

Maybe I'm off base too, but I have heard not to drink a lot of water *during* your meal because the stomach acids used for digestion are diluted. Anyone know if this is true or not?

edit: oops, while i was writing this, it was also asked above.. never mind!:ohwell:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

washes meals through the stomach????!!!! That's just funny!!

As funny as statements like fructose turns right to fat and is used for nothing else? Or that sat fats are only bad in the presence of cho?
    What makes you full is a "signal" from your adipose tissue (fat tissue) to your brain. I belive it is called Leptin. You know what makes that signal happen. EATING FAT!! Carbohydrates do not create that signal so your brain never receives it - this is why carbs keep you hungry.

Please stop making things up

Effects of short-term carbohydrate or fat overfeeding on energy expenditure and plasma leptin concentrations in healthy female subjects. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2000 Nov;24(11):1413-8.
    CHO OF increased plasma leptin concentrations by 28%, and 24 h EE by 7%. Basal metabolic rate and the energy expended during physical activity were not affected. FAT OF did not significantly change plasma leptin concentrations or energy expenditure
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    This is why I only drink beer or wine with meals.

agreed ;)
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    All I have to say to the OP is

facepalm.gif

This made me LMAO
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    If you believe that I have some primo real estate to sell you..

Oceanfront in Arizona right? I'm your neighbor, the one with the brooklyn bridge for sale. LOL
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    People seriously need to learn to recognize bunk when they hear it. I love my nutritionist, and tend to trust her judgement, but I also know there are studies out there that can seem to prove anyone's theory, no matter what it is, about nutrition.

Use your own brains. If something sounds this purely asinine, I ignore it, no matter who it's coming from.
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Ummm.....I'm pretty sure the info your nutritionist gave you was for people who have had gastric surgery. They can't drink during meals because they'll get too full to eat .

I'm thinking this.

Several years ago I was trying to have gastric bypass surgery and I was told that I should stop drinking anything 30 minutes prior to and 30 minutes after eating. This was a very specialized way of eating though, and wasn't something recommended to people not doing this surgery.
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    What do you do if you drink your meals!? :O

Trolololol
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    It is also IMPERATIVE that you NEVER eat red colored foods mixed with blue colored foods. They'll mix and spawn a virus that will kill all cute kittens on the planet. Please, think of the kitties.

129007889495023291.jpg
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of tea with everything I eat, all meals and snacks, it hasn't done me any harm.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, awesome! But I think many of us would rather have the food/water balance with our meals :-)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Well crap, you mean all I had to do last night was drink water and it would have washed away the ice cream I had? Wish I had known this sooner. To think I have been abstaining from all my favorite snacks when all I had to do is simply drink water while eating them.