Drinking with Meals (Don’t do it.) From my Nutritionist

Options

Replies

• meltygarden
    meltygarden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Erm, this is contrary to what I learned in Anatomy/Physiology 1, 2 and 3.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have heard the same thing from other nutritionalists as well. I was told that green tea is the only thing you should drink with a meal. Water messes with the digestive juices needed to break down the food.

green tea has water. now what?

This is giving me flashbacks to the water vs liquid debate. I'm out. LOL.
  • WickedMouse
    WickedMouse Posts: 343 Member
    Options

^--- Perfect Lizzy!!!!

*scratches elbow and walks out*
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    From the Mayo Clinic:

Question

Water after meals: Does it disturb digestion?
    Does drinking water during or after a meal disturb digestion?

Answer

from Michael F. Picco, M.D.
    There's no concern that water will dilute the digestive juices or interfere with digestion. In fact, drinking water during or after a meal can actually improve digestion. Water and other liquids help break down the food in your stomach and keep your digestive system on track. Looking for other ways to promote good digestion? Focus on a healthy lifestyle. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Maintain a healthy weight. Include physical activity in your daily routine
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    The reality of it is, if this caused food to move through at a faster rate, you would have BMs that consisted of undigested food. I've had this problem before, but it was largely because I overate and had too LITTLE water, so my body couldn't digest or metabolize appropriately. Part of my journey to this point in my life was to adopt a bypass diet without having surgery, and although it worked for losing weight, it was not long-sustained weight loss because I could still easily binge.

So, I guess, if you find yourself crapping out chunks of meat and veggies, you may want to stop and consider your food intake and liquid needs.

All water does it fill space and limit your hunger for a short period of time. Part of why they say drink it before a meal is because a lot of people will confuse thirst with hunger on a gut level, and therefore overeat. Drinking during a meal makes a lot more sense to me too, because it ensures that you don't keep eating when you're really feeling hunger. Drinking after would help further, as you need water to metabolize calories... but for a bypass patient, you have to be careful of overloading your intestines. I had a friend that DIED because she didn't take it seriously and her colon ruptured.
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i drink throughout the day with meals, after the lot.
    im fine read loads places to.drink with your meal.
  • samatalma
    Options
    I think your nutritionist is 1 chicken nugget short of a Happy Meal there partner.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    :sad:
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    OP, I think you need a new nutritionist.
  • serebelum17
    Options
    If only we could...myfitnesspal, weightwatchers, nutrisytem, etc. would not exist!!!
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My landlady who does colonic hydrotherapy and bio-energetic health screenings with metal poles etc for a living says the same. But she also says that i made the damp on the wall of the room i rent from her because i breath in that direction when i sleep and that because i don't have a large intestine i am technically mostly brain dead....

The fact that she does "colonic hydrotherapy" would cause me to question any health advice she gives. There is absolutely no scientific evidence that such practices are necessary or even beneficial.

Ohhh do not get me started on some of the things i hear her telling her clients! I want to run around the hous yelling something like EAT SOME PRUNES, THEN YOU WONT BE CONSTIPATED
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I love how the most facepalmy topics are the most active.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    It's true! I had bypass surgery 3yrs ago and I am not suppouse to drink anything 30min before, during or after I eat. Because it does make your food go through at a faster rate. Therefore making you hungery sooner that later

My understanding is that gastric bypass surgery alters your GI tract pretty radically--so how your body works after surgery is not necessarily how other people's unaltered bodies work. (I'm not trying to be mean here, I'm just being realistic.) Also, gastric bypass surgeries typically RADICALLY reduce stomach size, so filling that tiny (although often re-stretched) pocket with water could inhibit your ability to eat enough nutrients. Bottom line, you can't always generalize from special cases (e.g. gastric bypass patients) to the population.

Below is a picture of a post-op gastric bypass stomach. The "pouch" holds 3-4 oz and empties slowly through a small hole into the upper intestines. Drinking fluid with a meal fills the pouch too full and becomes painful. Drinking before a meal fills the pouch, but it empties fairly quickly if it is just fluid.

roux-en-y2.jpg
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    This is why I only drink beer or wine with meals.

LOL...me too! :smile:
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    Wouldn't this mean that it would boost your metabolism?

If the food is being washed out of your stomach fast, you are going to pass it faster, which means you should be able to eat more. Or something.

Yeah, I'm not a nutritionist, and I'm not going to act like I know what I'm talking about, but this suggestion makes no sense.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    In another thread the OP states that she gave herself a goal of 1000 a day, eats lots of lean cuisines and will not eat back exercise calories.

I think this says it all.:huh:
  • Lrt4uk
    Lrt4uk Posts: 174
    Options
    Maybe someone should consult Dr Oz....
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I will keep drinking mine. Thanks! :-)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options