Goal weight for women who are 5'1-5'2

Options

Replies

• sarahjane135
    sarahjane135 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It wasn't you specifically. I honestly don't remember what your original comment even said. I have just been seeing a lot of that lately and actually quit spark people because of things of that nature and people using terms (not to me but in general) like skinny *****es, 10 year old boy, real women this and real women that, etc. I have a daughter who is naturally underweight and eats like you wouldn't believe and I know from her that people think it's OK but it's no less hurtful to tell someone they need to eat a burger than it is to tell them they need to stop eating burgers. I have never had the problem of being to small and never realized that could be hurtful either until I had my sweet petite daughter. I've personally been insensitive to thinner girls in the past before I knew better. I'm just trying to raise awareness and keep a positive, supportive atmosphere here.
  • TJFireworks
    TJFireworks Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sure thing. Yes, you are right it goes both ways. My sister was 90 pounds at one point so I remeber the comments she would get as well.

Take care and good luck on your weight loss journey!!
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    So I have a bit to go before I am at a healthy weight, but right now, my goal is 135-140. I am lifting weight, so I will see inches come off, but not a lot of movement on the scale. I plan on getting to 150, and evaluating what I look and feel like. Then I will decide how much lower to go. If I get to 140 and it looks fat, then I will lose more weight. I am learning that the number on the scale is only a number. It doesn't give the whole picture. My doctor says anywhere from 110-135 is healthy, but I need to get to a weight I feel comfortable at.
  • jayladeyman
    Options
    5'2.5 and i weight around 127. at 120 i felt good about myself so i guess thats my goal. however i would be fine at 123 yet some muscle idk.

add me if were similar in goals!
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I am 5" 1/2" Yes, that inch counts. :laugh: I am 59 years young, and weigh 188. :indifferent: I am hoping I will get down to 135...however, my goal right now, is 160. Then take baby steps. I'm thinking that if I get any lower at my age I will really look aweful. Any thoughts on that?

I'm soon to be 58 and am 5' 2". I used to be in the 90s in my 20s and low hundreds in my 40s, but post-menopause, the weight has been inching up and redistributing. I'm working to get down from 108 to 105, or even 100-105, because I don't look and feel good at my current weight and can't fit into my clothes. It's your decision, obviously, but as you asked, it's hard for me to imagine that a woman your height would look "awful" at less than 160 pounds.

But you're right: Baby steps.
  • Verdenal
    Options
    :smile: Hi Sarah Jane135, I apologize for comment about "me"looking sick. I am new to the the website so I have to learn how to be careful with the words I choose. Please accept my a apology or to anyone else. That may have been my response to seeing so many people write that " if you are 5'0 you should weight 110 or so". We are all different and I just wanted to express that there is no chart that says where we need to be in weight. I have never been 110 and at 140 I looked so small. Sorry again. Just wanted to share my personal story. :-)

Thank you. I was offended too. I was in the low 90s for much of my 20s and at 57 am under 110 (which I consider an unacceptably high weight). I have never looked or been sick.
  • Verdenal
    Options
    This is to no one specific but I think we should try to stay away from words like gross, sickly, etc. Think for a second if someone said "I would never want to weigh x-amount, that would be so gross and sickly" but that number was a high weight. It's no less mean and judgemental to say it about a low weight. Everyone has their own idea of where THEY look best. Regardless of the end goal weight are we not all here for the same reason? Now that my rant is over, my start weight was 140 & my current goal weight is 115 but I wouldn't mind seeing 105. I'm 5'1

Absolutely. What you said was not a rant, but a response to ignorance.
  • jinikim91
    jinikim91 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 24 years old. I'm 5'1.5" and I was about 110 lbs. in my profile picture. Right now, I am at an ugly 118 lbs. I always fluctuated between 116-120 lbs. ever since I was 14. It never changed and I've always hated it. I lost weight when I was about 22 when I realized how unhealthy I was and went down between 112-114 lbs. which was okay but no cigar. My ultimate goal weight has always been 103-106 lbs.

I've been trying for 10 years to achieve that weight which is quite miserable. I even think I've been broken up with because I'm skinny fat and he wanted an actual skinny girl instead.

I carry most of my fat in my triceps, inner thighs, and lower belly. It makes me look extremely short (I know I'm short, but to be honest, 5' 1.5" isn't ridiculously short).
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    jinikim91 wrote: »
    My ultimate goal weight has always been 103-106 lbs.
    ...I'm skinny fat...
    I've been trying for 10 years to achieve that weight which is quite miserable.

What are you doing to achieve your goal weight?

I'm also a work-in-progress, but it took me over 20 years to learn about this "trick".
    HEAVY LIFTING.
    I spent 20+ years just doing cardio and trying not to eat a lot of food, mostly salads, etc, and feeling deprived and always craving bad stuff (cake, bagels, cereal, etc), but didn't see the results I wanted, no matter how hard I worked out.

2 years ago, I switched to heavy lifting and eating way more protein.
    I'm starting to sculpt my body with the lifting, and I feel much less deprived with the extra protein (much less carbs).

I'm sharing this because I truly wished someone would have told me this 10-20years ago.

Good luck,
    Amanda
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and have a goal weight of 120lbs - 125lbs. I have been strength training and focusing on losing body % fat. When I get to 125lbs I'll see how I feel.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm 24 years old. I'm 5'1.5" and I was about 110 lbs. in my profile picture. Right now, I am at an ugly 118 lbs. I always fluctuated between 116-120 lbs. ever since I was 14. It never changed and I've always hated it. I lost weight when I was about 22 when I realized how unhealthy I was and went down between 112-114 lbs. which was okay but no cigar. My ultimate goal weight has always been 103-106 lbs.

I've been trying for 10 years to achieve that weight which is quite miserable. I even think I've been broken up with because I'm skinny fat and he wanted an actual skinny girl instead.

I carry most of my fat in my triceps, inner thighs, and lower belly. It makes me look extremely short (I know I'm short, but to be honest, 5' 1.5" isn't ridiculously short).

The number on a scale is just a number. 118 lbs. is hardly "ugly" and well within normal BMI for your height. If you've been broken up with because you're "skinny fat," then the guy wasn't worth keeping. I'm actually between 120 and 122 lbs. at 5'1.5" and am at maintenance, doing strength training. You can maintain your current weight and achieve a leaner look with strength training. However, from your profile picture, you look fine. Remember, you're not going to weigh what you did when you were 14. You're an adult woman, not a teen-ager.
  • BethM1015
    BethM1015 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 & my goal is to see abs. I think it will be possible at 110-115 lbs. If I can't see abs at goal weight, I will get a dexa-scan to determine percent body fat. If my body fat is relatively low & I can't see my abs, I will be ok because I am sure I will have achieved my back-up goal which is to be comfortable in size 4 clothes. My current weight is 129 & my size 6 clothes are starting to be roomy.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

The number on a scale is just that -- a number. 118 lbs. is not "ugly" but a normal BMI for someone your height. If a guy broke up with you because you're "skinny fat," he's not worth keeping. There are other ways to measure progress. I'm 5'1.5" and between 120 and 122lbs. and do strength training; I changed my goal to maintain rather than lose and have changed my exercise routine and increased my protein. I also just turned 57. Life is too short to be unhappy over a number.
    There's no reason to be miserable. You can't expect to weigh what you weighed as a young teen-ager; you're a woman now.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I just want to get under 200 pounds. I'm honestly uncertain about going much lower than 180 because I've always been fat and I am uncomfortable with the idea of being actually thin. I'm 5'2".
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    Options
    I'm 5' 1" my goal weight is 130 pounds and have lost 10 pounds so far
  • hoorayselma
    hoorayselma Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Im 5'2 and 1/2 i think i look best at 130-135 ,,im 148 now started mfp at 160 about 2 months ago, im 33 years old
  • Leoess
    Leoess Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and currently 125lbs, but I feel best at 109-110 due to a slight frame. Even this tiny bit of pudge--barely enough to start a muffin-top--is hard to lug around sometimes. .-.
  • alanahp93
    alanahp93 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Im 5ft2 and Im hoping to achieve 115-120 but like the others have said, its what makes you feel most comfortable :)
  • jennyveile
    jennyveile Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    It is best to have a range. For me it is 115 -120.
  • Phaewryn
    Phaewryn Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1"-5'2" (right between, so I usually round up to 5'2") and I currently weigh 126. My "lifetime ideal" goal is 120-125 (get there and stay there, FOREVER). I have been up to 138 in recent years, obviously when I was pregnant I was way more, but didn't have a problem getting back down to 116 after child-bearing years (I only weighed 96 when I got pregnant the first time - I am very small-framed/thin boned). It's only been in the past 4 years I really have been struggling to stay under 140 (I just turned 40 plus I was on a prescription medicine that often leads to weight gain). I think it's important to watch the BMI scale. At 135 I was into the "overweight" category. Now at 126, I am back into "ideal" again (the high end of it, but at least in it). So that's what I go by, when I drift into the "overweight" BMI scale, I diet until I get back into the "ideal" again.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!