Do you log your meals/snacks before you actually eat them?

Options

Replies

• kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. And I usually log my exercise before I do it, that way if I don't feel like it, I have to make myself because it's already logged. .
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I do this when I can and I find that it helps me.
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    If I logged my food for the day beforehand, I think I'd feel like I was depriving myself. I may not be, but the feeling would still be there because I set those limitations.
  • TwistedBanana
    Options
    Yeah it's so much easier for me. It's important to know what you're putting into your body and it's great to have a plan when you have a busy day :) but always do what you find easiest and most fun! I never plan what I'm gonna eat on Sundays though because I usually eat whatever I want.
  • Isrn2
    Isrn2 Posts: 160
    Options
    I pack all my food for the work day before I leave home, and then I log it all as soon as I get to work. A lot of times I won't be as hungry as I thought I might be, so I adjust what I eat during the day and usually have some nuts in my drawer so if I need extra protein I can grab a few. It also helps me pre-plan what I'm going to have for dinner once I see where I'm at in the mid-afternoon.
  • kittyninja
    Options
    I log almost everything before I eat it because 95% of the time, everything I eat has been prepared and measured by me. Throughout the week I make my lunch the night before, so I usually go ahead and plan out my breakfast and a snack beforehand. My post workout meal is always the same thing, so I log it beforehand, too.
    I've found that planning ahead makes it SO much easier to stay on track.
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i log a day in advance. makes it so much easier
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    As my breakfast and lunch are pretty similar the whole time, I usually log either mid-morning or after lunch and enter dinner and any snacks at the same time. Like some of the others, I never complete the entry till just before bed, in case I had an impulse eat! About the only time I have gone over my goal was this week, when I didn't log till later, and realised too late I had gone over.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I do it and it works brilliantly and makes sure I'm under and balanced BEFORE exercise and I can add more as I need/want after exercise!

Me too.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Frequently I'll log it just before I eat. If I make it ahead of time, I'll log it when I make it. But I do usually log what I'm eating before I eat, then adjust afterwards if I don't eat as much as planned.

I'll do this sometimes. And other times I just log after. Logging after seems like it's working best just because I don't have to go back and adjust :P But, I can see how logging beforehand could be used as a tool to help you plan, sure.
  • niknak30
    Options
    On my work days when I know what I will pack and eat I always log in advance...... usually start with dinner and work backwards so that I can pack appropriate snacks etc.
    I find it harder to do that on days off as I often eat out but if I know I will be eating out I try and make sure I plan around it and eat light the other two meals of the day

Planning is the key for sure. Having an unplanned menu ruins me
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I've stopped logging because I've developed a sense of what is "worth" how many calories.

When I was logging I'd log everything in the AM and (as often happened) I'd use my exercise calories for snacking at night, I eat a lot of popcorn when I hit the gym.

*sighs*

I love popcorn.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I log before I eat. You know what they say: Fail to plan, you plan to fail!
  • adamlb
    adamlb Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Definitely, I log everything I know I'm going to eat ahead of time rather than having to interrupt the day to do it! It's also nice knowing in advance how much slack there is to play with around all the set meals.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Yes, I prefer to log ahead if I can, because it helps me make more informed choices throughout the day. If I know dinner will be 500 calories, then I know I have 1000 other calories to play with, for example
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I definitely log in advance, sometimes I plan out a few days in advance. I get a weekly veg box delivered and often know what I'm going to have for dinner for the week, I also usually have a similar breakfast / lunch all week.

It isn't set in stone, I don't press the final button until the end of each day, but planning ahead does allow me to keep an eye on my macros and stuff.
  • hungryPHATbunny
    hungryPHATbunny Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yes-helps me to think before I eat...great way of staying focused
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Yep do it the night before or first thing in morning.
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Try log night before or on morning.
  • poponastick302
    poponastick302 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Definitely - 99% of the time. I like to know what's in my meals before I prepare it, so I can adjust it accordingly (such as if there's too many carbs or not enough protein). I eat it, then make adjustments if I change my mind throughout the day.