Do you think people are lacking 'class'?

Options

Replies

• SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    This made me think of something else random!

I go to a school where hockey is huge. When I was a freshman and sophomore, one of the biggest chants was "F**k you ___________" and then fill in whatever school we were playing. When the older kids graduated, that cheer went away and I haven't heard it since. So I think some groups are just less classy and some are more classy. I hated that cheer because there were a lot of little kids there.

That was random but I think it shows that people can become more classy. We now have a lot classier cheers.

This reminds me of one of the oldest football chants on the terraces, sung by mine and my fathers generation alike.... "You're going home in a f*king ambulance!" (perhaps considered inappropriate for youth fixtures...)

But then, I'm British, we have always been mega-classy....:tongue:

And also: I reckon its harder to be a youth now than it has ever been, kids get no freedom whatsoever, everyone is so frightened of the 'scary random paedo', that they can't go out by themselves. I was no bother as a youth and neither were my mates, but thats mostly cos we were hidden up the recreation ground drinking cheap booze and trying out cigs. There are regular police patrols now where we used to go and drink (its out of the way, but I sometimes cross the field on the way back from the pub), so I imagine they sit around in each others bedrooms now.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    People have become so uncivil that politeness is often misinterpreted as flirtation.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Yes. I do. But we will raise our boys to be men. Yes mam and No Sir. Thank you and can I help you with that. They know to give up there seat for an adult. Woman are not called names but cherished and respected. There Dad has the last say and money doesn't grow on trees. They know that a day may come where they have to fight for family and or country. And If it does, they won't do it with pants sagging half way down their behinds. A's and b's are expected. As one day hard work will be. Strict? Old fashioned? Yes.
    amen to this! this is what we do with our boys also! I am constantly being told how polite and well mannered our children are. also I am constantly in shock when another persons child talks back and calls their parents cuss words to their face, and they are allowed to get away with it! then the parent blames the school. well my children went to the same exact school as theirs did and mine are getting good grades and dont do drugs and are respectful, like to have boundaries placed on them, and enjoy spending time with their parents. go figure!

Both of these.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    People have become so uncivil that politeness is often misinterpreted as flirtation.
    You're so right!
  • horsewhisper91
    horsewhisper91 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I've seen it go down hill over the years. Growing up in a small town were it was safe to leave a door unlocked to a time where now people just go around stealing anything. And I mean attacks in broad day light near college campus. Mind you, I said small town. So we are not as used to something going on like that ten years ago.

To get better on subject, it's every where. And we try to keep what we have that others lost. But sometime someone else's stupidity or arrogance is enough to push us into acting out.

We grown up in a society today where it is the here and I want it now. No matter how hard others have to work. I feel it can do a bit with patience. People don't like waiting and when it takes their time, they ticked off over it and take it out on someone near them or the person trying to do the job.

And discipline. Not sure if that can was already opened on this thread. But I feel kids lack it a lot now a days. I have friends that raise their kids to say please and thank you. Then I see some child grabbing things and screaming about it. I understand discipline to an extent. But guide lines are needed.

It's just the social norm now a days to go with the flow and you have the right to do something and some take that as more in their behavior and expect everyone to accept it.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

Not in my country - we are polite right up to the point that we are physically fighting each other! Hahahah
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    ffffunny-pload20120130-19624-1gxr69d-0.?1327908422

I'm an Atheist but find this hilarious and quite accurate :smile:
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    People have forgotten how to deal with one another face to face.
    A little bit of good manners goes a long way.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It's because these days children are all taught in school that they're entitled to get what they want. They're not allowed to fail, they're not allowed to excel, they aren't taught manners, and they aren't punished when they're obnoxious or disrespectful to others.

I think teachers have less control these days...

If teachers have less control, it's because we're not allowed to. I refer a student to the office for disrupting class and from the uproar caused by them and their parents, you'd think I was sentencing them to the federal penitentiary. This lack of control that people perceive that we teachers have is not because of us not doing our jobs, it's because of parents feeling their precious snowflakes can do no wrong.

Yes, one of the most ridiculous examples of this was the time I was called on the carpet for giving Mommy's little angel a "dirty look" when she walked into class tardy with a Starbuck's in hand. The dirty look caused her to feel embarassed in front of her peers. I was asked to apologize to the student in front of the class. I politely declined. :grumble:

ETA: Most kids are still pretty decent, it's just that every year the percentage of jerks gets a little higher, and the jerk behavior is getting more extreme when it does happen. And I'm finding that people of ALL age groups are less civil. There's no one group to blame - it's all of us!
  • dzuli823
    dzuli823 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I believe we have lost not only class, but civility. And it's a shame, because it doesn't have to be that way. Regardless of technology or velocity of life, we need to treat each other better. Even a simple "please" and "thank you". Not in a sniveling, permission-seeking way, but as acknowledgement of humanity (from one important person to another). Best summed up in the Sanskrit word "Namaste", which has no real equivalent in the West. But it's a great word with a great intention--

"That which is Highest and Finest in me greets that which is Highest and finest in you".

What a world this would be if we would all embrace this concept--Namaste.
    --LEWIS

Yes! Beautiful.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I think it's simple:

About 2000 years ago whether you believe it or not a man preached peace and love, do unto others - he was put to death
    Basically anyone or group of people who have preached the same e.g.hippies, John Lennon, JFK etc have been killed or belittled. Even if you believe what the man said 2000 years ago people think your a religious nut case

Why ? - because if we actually lived that way no one else would have power over us to get what they want in life over and above you. And that's what is being communicated to you, you are a loser if you don't have x,y,z, do x,y,z and look like x,y,z

Listen to John Lennon's Imagine
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I couldnt help but sit here and chuckle. My family went out last evening and I had 3diff people come up to me and state that my 3yr old boy was way to polite. My reply was what do u want him to do run around the returant and say naughty words instead of sitting here quietly using his manners. They walked away. WTF??? We r raising him to use manners, be respectful, polite, and do whats right and I get ?ed about it. Yes my son is over polite but I would rather have that then some of the kids out there.
    Alot plays into how we r as a socity now adays. There is our up bringing, media, friends, ect. In a whole it can b resolved if more people cared.

My husband and I make a point to stop by a table and compliment a family with well-behaved children whenever we're out. I think of it as positive reinforcement since most of the time all you hear is negativity. I'm sorry that you chose to respond that way. A polite 'thank you' might have been a more appropriate (and mannerly) response.

We do the same thing with other families, because we appreciate it so much when people compliment our children because we work very hard with them to be respectable human beings. I don't know *what* I would say if someone answered me that way. Geeze.

To answer the OP yes, there is a severe lack of class. It seems to be trendy to be proud of how little effort you can put into ANYTHING, your house, your marriage, your children, your job, your appearance. The lack of effort in anything obviously has it's side effects...... rude, snotty people, bratty spoiled kids....... pajama pants in public......
  • trophywife24
    Options

Not in my country - we are polite right up to the point that we are physically fighting each other! Hahahah

You guys are scarily polite. lol. It's very endearing. :drinker:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I'm white trash. I admit it. I also don't care.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    "Kids these days."
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    The rules of social interaction constantly change. In any era, there is a behavioral norm, and deviations. People haven't lost anything. The belief in a past time and place of innocence that somehow has been lost (nostalgia) may not be dangerous, but it is counter-productive. You live now. The importance of history is lessened when you view it through a nostalgic lens. Make now the way you want it to be.
  • trophywife24
    Options

See, you can be white trash and still be polite. We're sort of yokels and very nice, respectful people. My van is rusty and my dog has no hair on it's tail but I would never, ever yell at someone out of my rusty van window to go F themselves because they had the nerve to drive the speed limit, know what I mean?
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

See, you can be white trash and still be polite. We're sort of yokels and very nice, respectful people. My van is rusty and my dog has no hair on it's tail but I would never, ever yell at someone out of my rusty van window to go F themselves because they had the nerve to drive the speed limit, know what I mean?

True. I'm pretty polite, "thank you/ sir/ ma'm/ " that sort of thing to strangers. But in daily interaction, I curse like a sailor, drive a very beat up, dirty truck, I drink from the milk jug, wear Daisy Dukes and cowboy boots, too much eyeliner, etc. I wouldn't push that sort of thing on people I don't know because they surely have enough aggravations in their lives, but otherwise, it's pretty easy to peg me as on the lower end of classy.

I never yell out the window, though. Maybe flip them off. But for safety reasons, getting confrontational on the road is just a bad idea.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    The rules of social interaction constantly change. In any era, there is a behavioral norm, and deviations. People haven't lost anything. The belief in a past time and place of innocence that somehow has been lost (nostalgia) may not be dangerous, but it is counter-productive. You live now. The importance of history is lessened when you view it through a nostalgic lens. Make now the way you want it to be.

I think that's what's happening, however , the way you want it to be may not be the way the other person wants it to be. The difference being, that some really don't care about the "other's way". When than happens you end up with frustrated people, and those frustrations show up on how others are treated.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options

I think that's what's happening, however , the way you want it to be may not be the way the other person wants it to be. The difference being, that some really don't care about the "other's way". When than happens you end up with frustrated people, and those frustrations show up on how others are treated.

My point is that there are always people whose actions clash with the social norms and niceties, and the percentage of people clashing with the norm probably only changes in times of great upheaval. Also, it's useful to consider what the norm was for past generations: class and caste differences have always defined the rules of civility, and in my opinion most if not all present-time changes are probably for the better. Our tendency is to prefer that to which we have grown accustomed. And again, in my opinion, "that to which we have grown accustomed" is rarely if ever something we should desire.