Do you think people are lacking 'class'?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    The rules of social interaction constantly change. In any era, there is a behavioral norm, and deviations. People haven't lost anything. The belief in a past time and place of innocence that somehow has been lost (nostalgia) may not be dangerous, but it is counter-productive. You live now. The importance of history is lessened when you view it through a nostalgic lens. Make now the way you want it to be.
    Best answer on this thread
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    The rules of social interaction constantly change. In any era, there is a behavioral norm, and deviations. People haven't lost anything. The belief in a past time and place of innocence that somehow has been lost (nostalgia) may not be dangerous, but it is counter-productive. You live now. The importance of history is lessened when you view it through a nostalgic lens. Make now the way you want it to be.

I think that's what's happening, however , the way you want it to be may not be the way the other person wants it to be. The difference being, that some really don't care about the "other's way". When than happens you end up with frustrated people, and those frustrations show up on how others are treated.

My point is that there are always people whose actions clash with the social norms and niceties, and the percentage of people clashing with the norm probably only changes in times of great upheaval. Also, it's useful to consider what the norm was for past generations: class and caste differences have always defined the rules of civility, and in my opinion most if not all present-time changes are probably for the better. Our tendency is to prefer that to which we have grown accustomed. And again, in my opinion, "that to which we have grown accustomed" is rarely if ever something we should desire.

Thanks, good exchange here and it's appreciated - Take care
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Some people are so lacking in class, they repeat lies long after they are debunked.

obama1_zpsd77e5ef5.jpg
  • jsielke
    jsielke Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This is one of the best responses to the question I have seen. Right on!