How to Snazz Up Canned Tuna Without Using Mayo?

Options
Hambone23
Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
I woke up with this craving for asparagus. I have a can of tuna I was going to eat with it for a substantial, savory breakfast. Is there any way to snazz up the canned tuna without using mayo? I have limited stuff in the fridge: honey, soy sauce, garlic, Parmesan cheese, and your typical olive oil and dried herbs and some slivered almonds. I'm just looking for something very basic. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Danpellizzari
    Options
    I would use the almonds garlic and mix up the honey and mustard. Seems reasonable. It all about taste preference.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Salsa tastes good mixed into tuna, or plain non fat greek yogurt with some vinegar and a sprinkle of cheese....if you have that in your house
  • polegirl23
    polegirl23 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I don't like mayo so tend to mix tinned tuna with some extra light philidelphia to make a tuna-mayo like consistency for wraps etc
  • janluke
    janluke Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Canned sweetcorn and a dash of hot chilli sauce

Fresh corriander and chopped red onion(mild)

Both work for me
  • Ceffy
    Ceffy Posts: 235
    Options
    dried chilli flakes! you can get them in a grinder which is handy :)
  • Esevick
    Options
    Any low fat dressing available or vinegarette?
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Options
    Natural yogurt is a good mayo substitute - but full fat yogurt, none of that fat-free crap. It will still be less calorific than mayo even if it's full fat.
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Fresh cracked pepper and a big squeeze of lemon or lime juice.
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    my friend from the land of oz mixes tuna, avocado and chili powder - i tried it and it's gr8!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    dijon mustard or sriracha!
  • newCourtney
    newCourtney Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat tuna is with lemon juice (about half a lemon for 1 small can) and dill (fresh, dried, or a paste). It's quite delicious.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    These ideas are fantastic. I'm gonna have a yummy breakfast! Thanks for the quick responses. :happy:
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    onion and a bit of black pepper :)

nom nom
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Totally a lemon juice girl! I also like to "rinse" it off too. I do this after I open the can but the lid is still down on top of the tuna, I run water over it and keep pressing the lid down to squeeze the excess water out.
  • Conk5
    Conk5 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try mixing it up with chopped Pineapple. It's really refreshing and great in a jacket potato
  • icewindfirex
    Options
    I can't believe i haven't seen a lot of hard boiled egg answers! I toss the yolk and chop up the white.
    + chili powder, mustard, vinegar, and sometimes a little corn!
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Probably a bit late but I add extra light garlic-herb spread
  • meltygarden
    meltygarden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    my favorite way with tuna is to add a tiny tidge of sesame oil, a bit of soy sauce, a sprinkle of nutritional yeast (tastes similar to parmesan cheese but extremely high in b vitamins) and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
  • hooligansmom
    hooligansmom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Wow, this wasn't even my topic, but I am so inspired to eat tuna right now....I am thinking boiled egg whites, lemon, garlic, and some other herbs!!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I mix a can of tuan with an egg and 1/4 cup Progresso bread crumbs. Cook it in a frying pan for a few minutes on each side and you have a delectable tuna burger!