Options
    bumpity bump:)
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Supajoi
    Options
    All this is very interesting and I sure want to look like Staci some day. So my question is, how can I do intense weight training if I dont go to gym? And I only have hand weights that go up to 3kg. :/ Any tips will do, please? :)
  • tigzi
    tigzi Posts: 4
    Options
    This might be a silly question, but is it possible to to use stationary machines at the gym for this? like the abduction/adduction machines and then the chest press etc? or are those for a different purpose?
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Weights and fat loss = Lean!!!
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    This might be a silly question, but is it possible to to use stationary machines at the gym for this? like the abduction/adduction machines and then the chest press etc? or are those for a different purpose?

they will work.... I myself dont use machines very much!! You get the best workouts for free weights but yes machines will work for you!!!
  • star87cc
    Options

Thankyou for this! I have been lurking around the forum trying to find info on what 'lifting heavy' is as such, as I do want to be toned, I havent bought the NROLFW yet (was waiting for payday) but I do several classes a week of Body Combat, Body Pump and an All Over Body Workout... and I hear alot about not doing strictly cardio and wondered how these classes fell, but my Body Pump class especially does do these 5 lifts using bars and free weights which is good to know :) maybe I should look to upping the number of Body Pump classes I do :) the free weights in the gym are always packed with large men eyeing them selves up in the mirror tehehe so I just tend to jump on an elliptical. But yeah how about the static weight machines etc??
  • Alejandro96
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html This looks good its meant for fat loss but still building muscle you wont get bulky and its free it also looks like a great program !
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I am waiting for my copy of new rules of lifting for women to arrive and can,t wait. i have lifted light weights in the past but have tended to focus mainly on cardio i am a runner training for a marathon. However my husband has recently bought a weight cage with various attachements and i have been using that. Still light weights at the moment 40lbs or so. I am quite weak but would love to be able to lift heavy weights. I still want to run (a bit addicted to be honest) so will hopefully combine the 2. Really looking forward to having a toned body. I have had 3 children one was over 4 kilos and twins of 3.2kg each is it possible for my abs to ever be toned.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Joy, you will love lifting heavy! The compromise with running and lifting is a little tricky, but some ladies on here are managing it. Lou Schuler discusses this in Chapter 12 of NROLW. He says "there's just no point in trying to make your body smaller and more efficient at the the same time you're trying to make it stronger and rev up your metabolism."

He speaks to this in NROL (for men) as well: "When you combine serious strength training with serious endurance exercise, your body will probably choose endurance over muscle and strength."

I'm not about to discourage anyone from lifting! But you may want to research this a little further before you decide when and how to get started. I wouldn't want you to get halfway through the program and realize you'd wasted your time due to conflict with your running.

As far as your abs...genetics is gonna decide that. All you can do is strengthen the muscles, then drop some body fat to see what you've accomplished. I can tell you that I had 4 kids in 5 years, and I have been pleasantly surprised to develop visible stomach muscles during the last year.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options

I love that article! I re-read it any time someone posts it!

Thank you so much for sharing this!! I had not read this article before and it is SOOOO inspiring!! That's how I want to be!!

Completely agree!!!!
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm not into lifting weights (nor do I have access to weights) but understand the important of toning and strength training so i do pilates 3x a week. you will see results in a few weeks - leaner legs and arms and your stomach will flatten some.. seriously try it ! very good way to become "girly toned"