What is your biggest pet peeve at the gym

Options

Replies

• gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    ppl who do the same exercise next to me with a slightly heavier weight...
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    When people spit in the water fountain!! I went to fill up my water bottle and someone hocked a big luggie!! Sooooo disgusting!!! :explode:
  • reneewillard74
    Options
    They may be going backwards because they have hit a plateau in their weight. I have heard trainers say that if this happens to go backwards when you workout. Not trying to take up for these people just giving an explanation on why they may be doing it.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Sweat in my eyes!!

It burns!!
  • FLGatorGrl
    Options
    I work out at a gym that is for owners only in our development. The one owner that is a trainer and brings her "friends" in daily to work out and expects everyone to get out of their way while training. Also, the guy who sweats so much it falls on the floor when he is on the bike. Clean up after yourself !!!
  • mmfootball34
    Options
    dumb *kitten* that can't read and can't put the dumbbells and plates back where they belong and I have to spend 2 minutes trying to find a pair of dumbbells to use! OOOOOOOOR people that do exercises with the worst form ever with heavy weight thinking they're cool; you're only hurting yourself!!!!
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I try not to judge how fast a person is going or how much weight they are lifting...even if they are 110# they could be rehabbing from an injury, surgery or just sedentary for too long....I have heard our trainers tell people, "Now I don;t want you going any faster than ____ for now."

so glad you posted this! dont worry what other ppl are doing, concentrate on yourself!
    so my peeve? Judgeful people at the gym ;]
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    This is not inthe gym but at the pool. People who stand and talk in a lane while others who actually swim must share and the person who swims a little and then stands in the lane to do his/her Yoga.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    Options
    I try not to judge how fast a person is going or how much weight they are lifting...even if they are 110# they could be rehabbing from an injury, surgery or just sedentary for too long....I have heard our trainers tell people, "Now I don;t want you going any faster than ____ for now."

Agreed. I am someone who can't go too fast/hard etc. because of a medical problem that isn't apparent to anyone else by just looking at me. It's very disheartening to know that some people probably think I'm just being lazy without knowing my situation or background. I've been approached by strangers and told to work out faster/with more resistance, etc. I'm at a point where the next person to suggest it to me is going to get an earful...

I personally think no one needs to worry how anyone else is working out. Ever. End of story.

well said!
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    Options
    When people get on the machine right next to you even though there is an entire row of machines available. I also hate it when people wear a ton of cologne/perfume and/or no deodorant.

This too! Must be 20 treadmills with only 5 in use, and you choose to climb up next to me? Prepare to get sweat slung in your direction!:laugh:

Guilty! But I have a good reason....I work out at our YMCA, and we really don't have that many machines, and they are all different! So, unfortunately, I don't like change, so if you're next to the machine I'm used to, I'm gonna be your neighbor, lol. If there is another one that I'm comfortable on that is further down, I'll choose that one though. :)

I work at our local Ymca, and I have preference on certain machines! :]
  • irenep22
    irenep22 Posts: 59
    Options
    Yes!
  • GretelPetal91
    Options
    Sweaty butt-cheek marks being left on the equipment! I do not want to see what your behind looks like when it's flattened out :/

Also I hate it when I'm heading to a machine, making it pretty obvious which one I'm going to... but someone quickly jumps on it and makes eye contact with me like an angry dog! GEEEZZZZZ
  • jaydubbayu
    jaydubbayu Posts: 456
    Options
    Mine's kinda like junior high. Nobody seems to want to talk to anybody. People bring a workout buddy or 2, but nobody seems to respond well when I say, "How you doin?".. I can see though, how women think I'm hiting on them. Guys respond a little better. I dunno.. I just think that if you're going to be there, might as well be friendly!
  • JoeyTajzai
    JoeyTajzai Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I have a couple ill just list them

#1 When your taking a rest from a machine 45sec/1min and someone jumps on it..
    #2 When you wanna go to the next machine and someone just sits there for like 5 minutes doing nothing
    #3. FOR SOME reason I get annoyed when people work out while reading or drinking a soda.. I dont know why it makes me upset..... lol
  • margeauxhunt
    Options
    The in- house personal trainer who was all flirty and complimentary etc, then asked me if I was single.
    When I said "no I'm happily married with 2 teeage boys" - he basically lost interest, ran away, and has never been helpful since.

But is is VERY helpful to all the single ladies - lol.

At least there are still some normal trainers there...he just makes me feel awkward now!!

I noticed this at a gym I used to go to. Some of the guy trainers were too busy flirting with the girls they had a crush on all night instead of doing their jobs.
  • margeauxhunt
    Options
    This is not inthe gym but at the pool. People who stand and talk in a lane while others who actually swim must share and the person who swims a little and then stands in the lane to do his/her Yoga.

I hate this! if you want to hang out, go in the hot tub.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Omg yes i go to planet fitness and honestly alot of things they do there irritate me, first off the lunk alarm, im a girl and they still sound the alarm, sorry im lifting heavier weights and they make alittle noise when i put them down. They dont have a scale because they said that its a judgment free zone, i dont see how people would judge you if its in the locker room, id like to see my results. They drive me insane!

What is the lunk alarm????
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    People who do not wipe down their machines. Seriously, it doesn't take that long!
    and people who stop right in front of me to do lunges or something. Go home for that.
  • allegedglobalconspiracy
    Options
    So at the gym i go to there is a circuit training room and the idea of the room is to start at one machine and do everything until you get to the last one. The machines are numbered 1-20 and one day i was the only person in the room and i was on machine 5 when a mother and her daughter came in and started doing it also, now this did not bother me...until they started going backwards and doing all the machines out of order making it so i had to skip some and go to the next. The nice person that i am did not say anything but i was really frustrated with it......
    Ok so that was my rant for the day..what is your biggest pet peeve at the gym?

YES!!! That is the WORST!! I actually left a gym because they didn't enforce the rules and people were coming in and going in random order and at their own pace. So annoying! Discourtesy in general gets me pretty heated though!
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    People that do not sanitize the equipment when their done... DISGUSTING!!!