What is your biggest pet peeve at the gym

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    The jerks who sit on the bench in the free weights, or machines talking instead of working out when you clearly see I want to use the machine. 1) thats why there's a lounge in the front 2) that's why there's a locker room/sauna and 3) there's a coffee shop right down the other end of the strip mall, go use it
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • valenief
    valenief Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Mine is the people, mostly guys, who carry a gallon of water around the gym. There is no way they are going to drink all that water, and why is a water bottle not enough? It seems more of a fashion statement than anything else.

I do this I get really hot and share with my mom also in 2 hrs we do indeed drink the whole gallon of water....
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    The 6'5 man man with giant muscles who isn't lifting that heavy but making AWFUL moaning noises that I can hear all the way across the gym. Mind you, it isn't on the second-third set.; it's on the first(and on the first few reps). Drives me INSANE.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    The morons who keep interrupting my workout saying I need a personal trainer..who, just happen to be personal trainers.

Enough to want me to never ever set foot in one of those terrible places again.
  • Serenity64
    Options
    The fat sweaty guys who use the sauna and then jump into the pool (in the lane where I'm currently swimming laps) to rinse their sweat off. Ick!
  • heartflood
    heartflood Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    my pet peeve is people complaining about sweaty bodies! my gosh people it is just water for gosh sakes!!!

THIS. So much. We all go to the gym and sweat, right? Why is YOUR sweat not gross, but everyone else's is? I don't understand.
  • jackburnt
    jackburnt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1) Not wiping down the machines. It's common courtesy.
    2) Not using the machines properly (i.e., just sitting there chatting or playing on it).
    3) When people bogart the fans.
    4) When the wifi signal sucks (first world problem, but I need to watch something on the cardio machine!)

Now, a caveat about #2. I don't mind people texting or using their phone while using a machine. If it's a cardio machine, anything to get your mind off the work. And if it's strength, then you need to rest between sets anyway. I usually send a text or put in my rep/weight in MFP between sets.
  • Ntshepeng
    Ntshepeng Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Agreed. I am someone who can't go too fast/hard etc. because of a medical problem that isn't apparent to anyone else by just looking at me. It's very disheartening to know that some people probably think I'm just being lazy without knowing my situation or background. I've been approached by strangers and told to work out faster/with more resistance, etc. I'm at a point where the next person to suggest it to me is going to get an earful...

I personally think no one needs to worry how anyone else is working out. Ever. End of story.

Agree! if the waiting period is 20minutes, you'll wait 20 minutes whether i'm running or walking on the treadmill.
  • emgawne
    emgawne Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    ive got 2 - first major pet peeve is people who make excessive grunting noises like they are trying to show off or something. it just grosses me out.
    the second one is women who go into the weights area and just take up space and chit chat. i am all for women lifting weights, but dont give the rest of us a bad name by doing something like that.
  • annakristi86
    Options
    for all you guys who complain about chicks using treadmills at like 2 mph here is my story... i too didnt get those people some time ago and thought what the hell is the point if u dont even sweat... anyway.. long story short... i had 2 knee surgeries few years ago and diagnosed with rare form of arthritis (when i was 24 btw) so to recover from my surgeries i could only do super low intensity for a long while... i started using treadmills cause i could adjust the incline and speed which is easier for me than to try doing it outside... so there... i was using treadmill at 2mph with a slight incline... not a great workout by enough to start healing my knee after surgery and not lose my leg muscles completely... and im sure many people have different reasons for doing this stuff so have some perspective people
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When people come up to me to tell me how to lift weights when I didn't ask for help or information. =)
  • seizethefray
    Options
    In order or annoyance:

1.) People who don't wipe down their machine after use, ESPECIALLY if they've visibly dripped sweat all over it. How disgusting are you?! Seriously.

2.) The fully done up, size nothing girls who move so slowly on the elliptical that they actually have to work twice as hard to get it to move. Not hating on the fit girls (obviously they're doing something right), but when you're at the gym in a full face of makeup and perfect hair you're not there to work out--you're there to be seen. Stop taking up valuable space.

3.) Guys who drench themselves in cologne.

4.) Overly dramatic people on the treadmill (although it's more comical than it is annoying). No joke, I had a lady next to me this weekend who was clapping with every step she took. I mean, wtf? Why are you clapping?