The real key to losing weight is Metabolism!!

Options

Replies

• fit4everyoung
    Options
    Great information to review and balance your meals!
  • Kymwho
    Kymwho Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips!!
  • november03
    november03 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thinmintme
    thinmintme Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The real key to losing weight is CALORIES IN AND CALORIES OUT....not rocket science...just eat less and move more!

Exactly!
    Sure, there might be tweaks here and there that could rev the metabolism but it won't turn you into superman.
    My grandmother would say you need to drink more (water) and eat less (junk food, sweets, pastries, etc). That's all there is to it!
    And of course, stop sitting around.

(It's driving me nuts right now to read 'calories in, calories out' and I can't even take a walk because of my broken foot! )
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Point 1 and 2 are *********
    stop scaring people.

There are 180 pound ripped brahs who eat warrior diets. (eat 1 time per day 3000 calorie)

The only thing which makes sense in your post is HIIT. Which is way better than cardio-bunnying.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to see Acg tear this apart...

LOL

It's amusing several people thought this including me....
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Truth lies in actual peer reviewed clinical studies. While what the OP has posted sounds really good, it's still important to find out if it's just hearsay or if it's actually been studied and verified. If people believe that eating after 7pm piles on weight because someone told them so, wouldn't it make sense to have a clinical study on why rather than just take word on it because it sounds like it makes sense?
    I totally changed a lot of the broscience I was fed and now use actual science with clients. Result is that they are getting great results without the issues of weight regain and having to change their lifestyles too much.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I agree with you but I still think the OP has good advice that is worth trying for some people. For me, eating 5-7 small meals daily works much better than 2-3 bigger meals or IF. That's for me. For somebody else, IF or less but bigger meals might be perfect. I also incorporate several of his other tactics with success. Again, YMMV.

I think the title of the thread is where the failure is as somebody else has already noted. If the title had indicated that this is what worked for him and some or all of it may work for somebody else without indicating that there was science behind the tactics, I don't think there would be such a ruckus.

Anyway, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. :drinker:
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    If you disagree with the poster don't send us to sites that want us to subscribe and seem to be oriented to the fitness elite. The topic was losing weight not body recomposition whether related or not. Recently I read an abstract of a study suggesting that HIIT did have benefits over sustained cardio for people like me who need to lose weight and are of my sex and age and weight category. I am trying some of the things suggested here because I need to know if they will work for me. I really don't want to change when I eat so I was interested to see if there was support for or against. The links provided by one who disagreed with the OP weren't that helpful to me but then I am not subscribing to them and I do not claim to be in the category of fitness elite.
    HIIT is effective, but only short term. HIIT is actually more like strength training and weight lifting than it is cardio. As such, your body adapts well to it, but once your body adapts to it, there's no real advantage to doing it anymore. So it's great for a few weeks, but once your body adapts to it, progress stops, as there is really no way to increase the resistance, so to speak. It's a great add-on to a workout program to fill in or as a substitute once in a while, but it's not that great an idea to base an entire work out routine around.

My experience with HIIT makes me disagree with you. As my fitness is increasing, I can do HIIT with more intensity and for more rounds. For example, when I do outdoor sprints at the track, I cover more ground for 30 seconds than I did when I first started. I'm also seeing that I can do another sprint after a shorter recovery time. I used to have to do 1:3, then 1:2. I am now doing it at around 1:1.5. Also, when I first started my recovery cycles were really slow. I felt like I could barely walk. Now my recovery cycles involve walking at a much faster pace. And I used to be lucky to get 10 minutes in. Now I can do about 20 minutes before I'm gutted.

I also occasionally do tabatas. I used to have problems completing the cycle. I'm still gutted when I'm done but I can do the whole 4-minutes and really work up a good sweat doing it. There is definitely an increase in intensity over my beginning attempts. I used to just do it running in place, now I can do more intense things like burpees and mountain climbers, etc.

Of course, HIIT can't and shouldn't replace heavy lifting in a good, well-rounded exercise program but I think it's fallacious to say that progress stops.
  • cruiser3004
    cruiser3004 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I read the first few posts after your very informative article, which was well written and no doubt took a considerable amount of your time to write. All with the intent of sharing what works for you and trying to help others.

I cant believe how many negative posts there are.

But for me I really appreciate the time and effort spent, and from personal experience agree with you.

Thanks
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I really want someone to specifically point out a negative post. The only negative posts I've seen are the ones accusing people of making negative posts.

Correcting misinformation isn't "being negative." It's attempting to educate and help someone. I appreciate the time it takes someone to write a post, but if that post contains incorrect information, are people that have more knowledge just supposed to let it go, and not try and correct it?

The only negativity I see in this thread are the people who seem to be angry that people are correcting the OP's mistakes. If a student tells a teacher that 2+2=5, and the teacher corrects the student and tells them that 2+2 is not 5, 2+2 actually equals 4, is that teacher being negative? After all, it took that student time and effort to come up with the solution they came up with, should the teacher just allow them to remain wrong?
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this information!!
  • xoTLCxo
    xoTLCxo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Court222010
    Options
    Bumping to keep as a reminder! :happy:
  • patricia909
    patricia909 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say that everything stated by the OP has helped me on my "journey".

I'm a firm believer in drinking lots of water to not only stay hydrated, but more full as well.

And the breakfast "myth"?
    When I was in school each class was polled to see who ate breakfast. Sure enough, EVERY obese kid in the school neve ate breakfast, whereas my parents wouldn't let me (the bean pole in my class) ever leave the house in the morning without a decent meal in my belly.
  • JessicaGray2107
    JessicaGray2107 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU, thats what I'm saying! I thought this was MY FITNESS PAL, not my fitness critic. Sheesh! Thanks for the info!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU, thats what I'm saying! I thought this was MY FITNESS PAL, not my fitness critic. Sheesh! Thanks for the info!
    It's not being a critic, it's informing the OP that what he had posted isn't scientifically supported. Like tigersword said, it's not "negative" to give correct information, but some here are taking it as that.
    If I had stated that only doing weight lifting was necessary to have good conditioning and fitness, I'd probably meet opposition. It probably wouldn't be negative, but would challenge why I would only believe that weight lifting is the only way. There isn't anything wrong with challenging information that may not be right. It gives EVERYBODY a chance to learn correct information.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cshine06
    cshine06 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP 100%. Thanks for sharing! This has worked for me. Let everyone who disagrees find out the hard way! :heart:
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    bump :-) people we are all here to support one another. OP was just letting us know what they have found. you dont need to be negative about it

So we shouldn't point out the errors? Just accept it all as solid truth? Sorry, some of us prefer the actual facts.

It is his truth, it is what has worked for him. I think everyone's experience is worth reading, sorting out in my own head, researching, and then I can decide for myself if I want to try the suggestions. I have my own mind, am not a blind follower of anything or anyone.
  • smcase
    smcase Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I appreciate the listing of foods.