Answering the door

Options
1235»

Replies

• ludogx87
    ludogx87 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    sometimes i dont even answer the house phone never mind the door!!!
  • jankleberry
    Options
    nope. I hide unless I know who its going to be or if Im waiting on a delivery :) I recently got a "no cold callers" sign and this has helped a lot :)
  • tumblingtumbleweed
    Options
    You should be complaining that it's rude for someone to show up at your house unannounced, ESPECIALLY when you work nights.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I hardley ever answer the door, unless of course I'm expecting company.
  • newfieborn
    Options
    I have to disagree with more people here. I always open my door. I would prefer that, if I know you, just knock and walk in. Don't expect the house to be spotless because I am not expecting company but you are more than welcome. You are welcome anytime during the day and at night when the lights are on (or anytime you really really need something). I was raised to believe that anyone and eveeyone is welcome. So, come visit.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    If the door rings at a strange time I'll only answer the door armed.

JM
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I was raised to believe that you should be hospitable to guests, as well, but most people no longer live in a world where it's safe to open your door to just anyone or to leave it unlocked for regular visitors.

I do not answer the door unless I know exactly who is there (similarly, I do not answer my phone if I don't recognize the number on caller ID). If someone knocks and I'm not expecting anyone, I generally don't even bother getting up to see who is there. Anybody I would allow inside my home has my phone number, and they typically call before they come over.
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    My husband is in the Navy and we used to live in a military community. Let me tell you, a military community is probably the most dangerous place to live for a wife when the hubs is deployed. It's like a target for the creepers. I learned very quickly to NEVER answer the door when I was alone unless I was expecting someone. When he got back from his first deployment I told we HAD to move.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I can't seem nor am I interested in keeping a doorbell in working order here in the north. The storm door is locked so they don't even have access to the knocker. I have a peephole in the door but don't use it because I'm not really interested in who's there. I'll only answer if it's the mailman or UPS or a kid. Most people who know us enter through the side door by knocking first.

I used to have an old neighbor lady who bothered me incessantly. She'd come on her golf cart a few times a week. (we back up to a golf course). She'd want to come in and visit and I allowed her to the first few times but got tired of it. I cured her by grabbing a beer and asking her to drive me around the golf course and stop at the "half-way house" for another.

She stopped stalking me that very week. Gosh and it was just getting fun!