How bad is diet coke for me?

Options

Replies

• shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I don't think a diet pop once in awhile will kill you. Majority of stuff is so processed hear days. Besides, what the hell would I mix my alcohol with
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    lol According to the "experts" in this site, it is harmless and you should drink 24 cans a day, one each hour.
    According to the dumbasses who write articles online, HealthMagazine, and all those who talk about researches online, you shouldn't drink them at all because they will, somehow, affect you in many ways. Then again, the "experts" in MFP say those articles are not legit and you shouldn't pay attention to them :bigsmile:

Mmmmmm. And if you actually read what the "experts" on this site are saying, none of them are saying you should drink 24 cans a day. Nor do they say that all online articles are written by "dumbasses" and that you should ignore everything you read online. Why don't you actually read what people write instead of jumping to conclusions?

Most "experts" I read on here advocate a concept called "moderation" even if they don't spell that concept out. It applies to so much more than just eat the occasional sweet. It means you don't buy into the alarmist bull****... and you don't buy into the there's an easy secret to weight loss mentality either. You stick to the middle, use common sense, eat reasonably healthy, exercise, and you don't make your life impossibly difficult by adhering to a complex list of "thou shall" and "thou shall nots".
  • DaveMXF
    Options
    This little video summed it up for me
    http://youtu.be/hpoAtwVyzZI
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Honestly, both are bad for you.....anything but water is bad for you. In fact, water is sometimes bad for you to if it comes from tap. It depends on what YOU want to drink. There will be tons of people telling you diet soda is the devil and regular soda is the way to go....i personally don't want to give up soda just yet and i don't want to take in those extra calories, so i drink diet. For those who say you don't lose weight on diet, my dad switched to diet dr pepper and kept the same eating habits and LOST 15 pounds.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I don't think a diet pop once in awhile will kill you. Majority of stuff is so processed hear days. Besides, what the hell would I mix my alcohol with

Just mix it with more alcohol....isn't that what everyone does? lol
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    lol According to the "experts" in this site, it is harmless and you should drink 24 cans a day, one each hour.
    According to the dumbasses who write articles online, HealthMagazine, and all those who talk about researches online, you shouldn't drink them at all because they will, somehow, affect you in many ways. Then again, the "experts" in MFP say those articles are not legit and you shouldn't pay attention to them :bigsmile:

Mmmmmm. And if you actually read what the "experts" on this site are saying, none of them are saying you should drink 24 cans a day. Nor do they say that all online articles are written by "dumbasses" and that you should ignore everything you read online. Why don't you actually read what people write instead of jumping to conclusions?

Most "experts" I read on here advocate a concept called "moderation" even if they don't spell that concept out. It applies to so much more than just eat the occasional sweet. It means you don't buy into the alarmist bull****... and you don't buy into the there's an easy secret to weight loss mentality either. You stick to the middle, use common sense, eat reasonably healthy, exercise, and you don't make your life impossibly difficult by adhering to a complex list of "thou shall" and "thou shall nots".

To be a LabRat it seems you don't get sarcasm that much, if any at all. The 24 cans a day was sarcasm since you did get that. And about the articles online, I don't know what threads you've been reading, but only the ones "they" read, are the right ones. So why don't YOU actually read what people right instead of jumping to conclusions?

About moderation, that's mainly those who aren't the "experts" here, which is true, moderation is a key, but denying this crap like diet soda is completely harmless, is total BS.

Now, before you actually try to correct me and say I'm talking nonsense, please, either READ the replies and stupidity people post in the threads, or don't try to correct me.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Diet coke has aspartame. When aspartame is digested it is turned into FORMALDEHYDE. INSIDE YOUR BODY!!!

Your body makes formaldehyde all the time, whether you drink diet soda or not. It's a natural by product of human metabolism. Got any other wildly inaccurate inflammatory scare tactics to throw out?

No need to jump me. I've done some reading up on aspartame & formaldehyde. I know I have trace amounts in my body, but it is still a toxin, plain and simple. We also create ammonia-would you like to drink a little bit of that every day? I personally avoid aspartame because I'd rather not increase the levels of formadlehyde in my body. Just like I keep myself well hydrated to flush out ammonia & other such byproducts of my metabolism. Thank you very much for your little attack. But I'm entitled to my own researched opinions.

Fresh fruit contains much higher concentrations of formaldehyde and methanol than you will get from any diet soda. Using your logic, you should probably stop eating fruit then, as well.

Most meats and nuts contain much higher levels as well, since the ingredients in aspartame are amino acids that are found in much higher concentrations in food than in soda, you will create much more of the dreaded formaldehyde and methanol just by eating.

My research has shown that some foods contain formaldehyde when the sugars have been irradiated, while others contain it naturally. The naturally occuring formaldehyde obviously isn't harmful as your body is able to process it since it is in such small amounts, but the foods that have been tampered with contain a type of formaldehyde that is mutagenic. Therefore, diet pops and other foods that contain the adative of aspartame-which upon being digested turns to the "bad" form of formaldehyde (and it creates more than our bodies can process)-can be and are dangerous to many people.

But this really isn't worth fighting about back & forth: to each their own! I will continue to avoid aspartame :)

I see a disconnect here. You're talking about irradiating sugar, but then talking about aspartame. Aspartame isn't irradiated sugar, it isn't ANY kind of sugar. Aspartame is protein.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Ain't nothing like the real thing... LOL. I frequently shop at Whole Foods and people that eat whole do not eat that fake crap. Sodas = empty calories, but hey I drink one a day and am still losing. You have to get close with water.

If people don't eat that "fake crap," then why does Whole Foods sell regular and diet soda?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    To be a LabRat it seems you don't get sarcasm that much, if any at all. The 24 cans a day was sarcasm since you did get that. And about the articles online, I don't know what threads you've been reading, but only the ones "they" read, are the right ones. So why don't YOU actually read what people right instead of jumping to conclusions?

About moderation, that's mainly those who aren't the "experts" here, which is true, moderation is a key, but denying this crap like diet soda is completely harmless, is total BS.

Now, before you actually try to correct me and say I'm talking nonsense, please, either READ the replies and stupidity people post in the threads, or don't try to correct me.

Your so write!
  • tigersword
    Options
    Also, I've seen a few people blowing the horn of STEVIA, and that kind of amuses me. Aspartame is a horrible, terrible, processed artificial sweetener that you should avoid! So make sure you use the equally artificial and processed sweetener STEVIA instead!

Stevia markets itself as "natural," but the sweetener is just as processed as any other artificial sweetener out there. According to stevia's marketing line, aspartame is equally natural, as it's ingredients are both naturally occurring amino acids.
  • tigersword
    Options

Your so write!
    http://explosm.net/comics/2712/
  • duharvalgt
    Options
    I love how people always seem to rage and pull out random sources when organic chemistry comes into play :laugh:
  • rml_16
    Options
    Honestly, both are bad for you.....anything but water is bad for you. In fact, water is sometimes bad for you to if it comes from tap.

Do you seriously believe this???
  • rml_16
    Options

Your so write!
    http://explosm.net/comics/2712/

Funny. But I'm not sure if you got my joke or didn't. :-)
  • tigersword
    Options
    I got your joke, mine was an add on. :drinker: <--- Diet Coke
  • HaggisWarrior
    HaggisWarrior Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As bad as anything else, moderation. Be wary of replacing the synthetic sugar with real sugar from other places. Cheers and good luck! :smile:
  • IBrakeForWolves
    Options
    I second the above - moderation. Personally, I don't drink soda. I don't care for it, and really, it's not terribly good for one's body. So are most things, but I can at least make the choice to remove something like soda from the equation.

To each their own, however.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I got your joke, mine was an add on. :drinker: <--- Diet Coke

:-)
  • Biomisty
    Biomisty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Coke works for cleaning bc it is acidic. It is acidic bc when carbon dioxide mixes with water it ionizes which turns into carbonic acid. It is however no more acidic than a lemon or orange.