Apple Cider Vinegar and Virgin Coconut Oil

Options

Replies

• goodhealth2012
    Options
    I had a spoonfull of Virgin Coconut Oil in my oatmeal this morning. (I also add, wheatgerm, ground flaxseed, bee pollen, honey and a bit of milk) It was nice, didn't taste much different although there was a sight coconut aroma which was really nice.

I also had a cup of warm water with a spoonful of Organic apple cider vinegar that I got from my local farmers market with a teaspoon of honey. WAS GROSS!!! Didn't enjoy it at all, but since reading up on the benefits I will suck it up and drink it!
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    http://www.katheats.com/favorite-foods/all-about-coconut-butter

Here is a video about coconut butter. Thought you all may it interesting. Kath has an awesome food blog.
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    saving this to read for later ~ I drink Bragg's organic apple cider vinegar for leg cramps. Just started about a week ago & it seems to help! :drinker:

This is because of the potassium in the vinegar. If you track potassium in your diary and ensure that you get close to the daily recommended allowance, you should not have a problem with leg cramps anymore.

I wish it were that easy. I take potassium supplements daily in addition to a high potassium diet; I exceed the amount recommended daily. When I was hospitalized last year for diverticulitis, it was discovered that I have a potassium deficiency. While I was in the hospital they were giving me IV potassium & it kept blowing my veins to where I developed blood clots. I've had to track my daily intake and with all of the extra stuff I take, it still runs on the low side when I have blood work done. I have seen 4 different Dr's and not one of them can figure out why my levels are so low. I drink 2 tbsp of the Braggs 3 times a day, and it helps make the cramps less severe. I still have them, but they are not as bad as they were before drinking the vinegar.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    saving this to read for later ~ I drink Bragg's organic apple cider vinegar for leg cramps. Just started about a week ago & it seems to help! :drinker:

This is because of the potassium in the vinegar. If you track potassium in your diary and ensure that you get close to the daily recommended allowance, you should not have a problem with leg cramps anymore.

I wish it were that easy. I take potassium supplements daily in addition to a high potassium diet; I exceed the amount recommended daily. When I was hospitalized last year for diverticulitis, it was discovered that I have a potassium deficiency. While I was in the hospital they were giving me IV potassium & it kept blowing my veins to where I developed blood clots. I've had to track my daily intake and with all of the extra stuff I take, it still runs on the low side when I have blood work done. I have seen 4 different Dr's and not one of them can figure out why my levels are so low. I drink 2 tbsp of the Braggs 3 times a day, and it helps make the cramps less severe. I still have them, but they are not as bad as they were before drinking the vinegar.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm curious to know, has your condition led to hypertension?
  • gkpass
    gkpass Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I just used some to cook up some turkey burgers. Added a nice nutty taste to them, even the picky 15 year old said he liked it.
  • dollymixsix
    Options
    Would taking ACV in capsule form be just as good, or do I get the pure stuff?
  • SlidingDown
    SlidingDown Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I already had organic virgin coconut oil as I use it on my hair and sometimes on my skin. It is the most amazing conditioner....
    Anyway, I'm now thinking of trying it for 2 weeks, and see what happens. I'm thinking just 1 teaspoon for now, as I don't want to go crazy with the fat.

Today curiosity won, and I bought some organic apple cider vinegar (with mother) and have taken one dose of 2 tspns in water a few minutes agoe
    I will also give this a run for 2 weeks, and report back :)
  • mjean1972
    mjean1972 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I have yet to find a virgin coconut. Oh sure they SAY they're virgins, but...well...
  • Thatsdatdiva601
    Thatsdatdiva601 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Coming back to read this later :)
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I use Bragg's ACV with the Mother, it's the best Organic Vinegar you can buy. Kroger has the best price for it, large bottle is like $3.69. It's like a cleanse for your insides. Stopped my acid problem, scalp problem and one big toe problem (TMI) LOL. NEVER drink ACV straight like a shot or it will burn your throat literally. Always mix with atleast 8 ounces of water.

The Organic Coconut Oil I only use for cooking, you really shouldn't eat that by the spoon. A lot of people get the two confused. There is Virgin Coconut Oil (for cooking) and Virgin Raw Coconut Butter (for eating from the jar). BIG DIFFERENCE. I buy my Coconut Butter from Whole Foods. It's called Artisana Raw Organic Coconut Butter and cost around $13 for the jar. It's a natural anitviral, antibacterial as well...so very heathly to consume.

Animal fats have long chain saturated fat, while coconut oil contains healthy, healing, medium chain triglycerides (MCTs). This saturated fat is considered a rare and important building block of every cell in the human body, and can actually reduce cholesterol and heart disease.

Coconut boosts immunity, kills bacteria and viruses, protects against cancer and other degenerative diseases, and prevents osteoporosis by promoting calcium absorption. It also slows down ageing and is good for skin radiance.

How I learned this. Two years of trying to figure of why my hands, feet, ankles and toes were so swollen I could barely walk,
    Doctors could only find that I have a severe wheat allergy. So I can't eat wheat, but during that nightmare and test after test after test...I discovered AVC and Coconut Oil and Coconut Butter.

:) HTH

I have been using Virgin Coconut Oil straight from the spoon or in my coffee for years, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I actually don't like coconut butter at all, I have even tried it by making my own and I don't like the texture.

Also, Braggs ACV doesn't burn everyone's throat............I can't drink it watered down in the water, I have tried, I like the taste of it and it is no different drinking it straight or putting it straight on some sliced up cucumbers or such......
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Actually coconut oil are Medium chained triglycerides, not short or long chain triglycerides. The guy at the supplement store needs to do some more learning

Your my hero, you know that right?
    :)

Going to try the acv.

:heart: :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: :heart:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Hi this is interesting and I would love to try it. Is there a particular brand for the coconut oil, I think I will have to buy it on line. Thanks

I have tried many brands..........

I like the Gold Label Coconut oil from Tropical Traditions and I love Nutiva.

I do not like Spectrum, it is gross to me.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I have coconut oil in my black morning coffee every day, it give it a nice " full feeling" without the milk.
    It has a host of health benefits.
    There is a great book called the coconut oil miracle that will give you all the info.
    It's also lovely as a skin lotion, I keep a separate little jar for that.
    I generally use ACV if I'm making my own both stock as it helps reduce the broth and get all of the nutrients out of the bones.
    On occasion if I think I may be getting a cold 9 haven't had one for a few years though) I used to take some ACV in water every half an hour and I'd always kick it!
    I hope this helps.

Yes, I do all these things too!!!

The Coconut Oil Miracle is a FANTASTIC book and so is the Virgin Coconut Oil Book that you can purchase on Tropical Traditions website.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I use the virgin coconut oil on my entire body. I did my research on it. It does rev up your metabolism but I tried it for the sole benefit of my hypothyroid condition. My meds have now dropped from 50mg to 7.5 mg and the doctor says that he thinks I don't need my thyroid medicine anymore. He is amazed. I am too! The weight is falling off me and who can't be happy about that?

I'm also on thyroid meds and wondering how much VCO you use? I'm using some but not regularly, due to the calories. I know that Tosca Reno (of the Eat Clean Diet books fame & Oxygen magazine) swears by it. She takes 3 TBS daily as a "therapeutic dose" but if you're taking it as medicine, don't you still have to count the calories?

I love the taste of the VCO, take mine straight off the spoon but I warm it up in a bowl of hot water first. YUMMY!

I use it as a therapeutic dose also, 3-4 tablespoons a day. I was on 2 grains of Armour Thyroid and I am now down to a half grain. I am hoping by the end of the summer that I will be completely off the Thyroid meds all together.

You will want to work your way up with the coconut oil as if your body doesn't have the enzymes to digest it properly and you don't work your way up slowly, lets just say you will have some major digestive distress in one form or another...................

My cholesterol has also dropped significantly.