Apple Cider Vinegar and Virgin Coconut Oil

Options

Replies

• sergetns73
    sergetns73 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It must be Virgin Coconut Oil, used for consumption, cooking. I buy mine at Trader Joe's and it comes in a glass jar 16 oz. for only $5.99. I place the bottle in hot tap water and let it melt and I take 3 Tablespoons each morning. Remember that if you don't watch your calories you can gain weight. I have found it gives me tons of energy, it has stablized my thyroid almost to the point that I don't need thyroid meds anymore. Maybe it has helped me because of health conditions. Everyone is different. It's worth a try and if you don't see a difference, you can always use it for a deep hair treatment before shampooing, as a body moisturizer, shaving, and cooking in place of butter i.e.; scrabbled eggs. It's also know to cause heart racing effects, so you may want to start off slow, with 1 teaspoon. I didn't experience this but some others have. Google the topic of using VCO and decide for yourself.

what is ACV ? there is 41 acronym of it:

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/ACV
  • traceyjayne64
    Options
    Im in the UK, i know i can get the ACV and im going to get some now, anything that may help with my joints and arthritis will be amazing. Im going to check and see if i can also get the VCO.
    It has to be worth a try :smile:
    Thanks for all the info.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coconut-oil-and-weight-loss/AN01899

Can coconut oil help me lose weight?

Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Proponents of coconut oil and weight loss say that the high fat content of coconut oil can paradoxically help you lose weight. However, the few research studies that have specifically examined coconut oil — or the type of fatty acids it contains — have shown mixed results for weight loss.

Coconut oil is a tropical vegetable oil that's made from the dried fruit (nut) of the coconut palm tree. Coconut oil consists largely of a certain type of saturated fatty acid. One tablespoon of coconut oil contains 117 calories and 13.6 grams of fat.

Supporters of coconut oil and weight loss say that despite its high calorie and fat content, coconut oil boosts your metabolism, gives you energy, makes you feel more full and improves your thyroid function. They say that the type of fatty acid in coconut oil is a healthy one, and that your body quickly burns it for energy.

A coconut oil diet or coconut diet typically suggests eating as much as 3 tablespoons of pure coconut oil a day or substituting it for other oils and fats normally used in cooking or baking. Some coconut oil diets also suggest that you eat a diet that's low in carbohydrates, while other coconut oil diets require you to work your way through several stages, including carbohydrate restriction and colon cleansing.

Although eating coconut oil in moderation for a short-term diet probably won't harm your health, it may not help you lose weight. And keep in mind that coconut oil actually has more saturated fat than do butter and lard. For successful, long-term weight loss, stick to the basics — an overall healthy-eating plan and exercise.
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    bump
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I take 2-tbs of ACV everyday...it's an old school bodybuilding technique. I have no clue whether it works or not; however, it doesn't hurt you. I read the article the dude posted from WebMD...okay...fine. If you think it works for you...as I do...and you're not suffering any ill-effects from it...do what you are comfortable with.

ACV has many other helpful benefits. Alot of people I know use it to help with arthritis, though no one knows why it helps. I really just think it is about personal preference. If you want to use it, then by all means, but I wouldn't depend on it to lose weight. You have to cut your calories and exercise too.
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    what ever you do dont burp soon after drinking that glass of acv water. Some one might think you are a douche bag.
    :laugh:
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maryjay51
    Options
    i have a big bottle of organic raw apple cider vinegar that i started using but stopped..only out of laziness.. this topic just inspired me to get back on track

my new trainer told me to use coconut oil so i bought a big tub of it. i use it on occasion but have not used it regularly enough to notice a difference. seeing i have it i might as well use it daily to see what happens. i fry chunks of baked butternut squash in it and omg is it ever good!
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I eat a tablespoon of coconut oil a day, and I've replaced all of my cooking oils with it. I don't know specifically what it has done for me so far, but it's awesome when put topically on the skin. I am a little wary about all of the saturated fat (good fat or bad), and I'm interested in getting my cholesterol checked since I've been taking it. It is also delicious, which is a plus. Mix it into your oatmeal and you're good to go.
  • PJFonz
    PJFonz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump
  • joeygirl84
    joeygirl84 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I LOVE coconut oil :) I take some every morning and evening... it sure does help the cravings!

The apple cider is nasty tasting but I admit it helps as well.
  • mamatoboys6219
    mamatoboys6219 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Crystal0827
    Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Do you just eat a spoonful of the coconut oil ?

never done the ACV but i do a teaspoon of coconut oil everyday in my morning coffee. Tablespoon is to much for me. I don't know about any of the benefits working yet 'cause i just started it but the rewards are worth the extra cals!
  • Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coconut-oil-and-weight-loss/AN01899

Can coconut oil help me lose weight?

Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Proponents of coconut oil and weight loss say that the high fat content of coconut oil can paradoxically help you lose weight. However, the few research studies that have specifically examined coconut oil — or the type of fatty acids it contains — have shown mixed results for weight loss.

Coconut oil is a tropical vegetable oil that's made from the dried fruit (nut) of the coconut palm tree. Coconut oil consists largely of a certain type of saturated fatty acid. One tablespoon of coconut oil contains 117 calories and 13.6 grams of fat.

Supporters of coconut oil and weight loss say that despite its high calorie and fat content, coconut oil boosts your metabolism, gives you energy, makes you feel more full and improves your thyroid function. They say that the type of fatty acid in coconut oil is a healthy one, and that your body quickly burns it for energy.

A coconut oil diet or coconut diet typically suggests eating as much as 3 tablespoons of pure coconut oil a day or substituting it for other oils and fats normally used in cooking or baking. Some coconut oil diets also suggest that you eat a diet that's low in carbohydrates, while other coconut oil diets require you to work your way through several stages, including carbohydrate restriction and colon cleansing.

Although eating coconut oil in moderation for a short-term diet probably won't harm your health, it may not help you lose weight. And keep in mind that coconut oil actually has more saturated fat than do butter and lard. For successful, long-term weight loss, stick to the basics — an overall healthy-eating plan and exercise.

Coconut oil is a saturated fat made up primarily of medium chain fatty acids. Also known as medium chain triglycerides (MCTs), medium chain fatty acids are known to increase metabolism and promote weight loss. Coconut oil can also raise basal body temperatures while increasing metabolism. This is good news for people who suffer with low thyroid function.

http://www.coconutdiet.com/thyroid_health.htm

Coconut oil, as a medium chain fatty acid, is a viable alternative for those of us who are suffering from borderline hypothyroidism and who cannot get the medical community to pay attention to us. There is a plethora of peer reviewed documentation to be found which shows time and time again that VCO prods the thyroid back to life and increases metabolism in affected individuals.

Right now, it's estimated that there are an average of 14 million people yearly in the U.S. alone, who suffer from hypothyroidism yet go undiagnosed because the medical community is hung up on TSH and T4 testing to the exclusion of any other thyroid hormone testing, the vast majority of whom are women.

VCO is not a weight loss trick and probably won't fire up the metabolisms of those who are already blessed with one that functions--but for those of us who aren't--it could be a godsend.
  • amber95823
    amber95823 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    what ever you do dont burp soon after drinking that glass of acv water. Some one might think you are a douche bag.

LOL
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I take 1 teaspoon of ACV in a glass of water first thing in the morning, then again mid morning and then mid afternoon. I prefer BRAGGS Organic ACV which is imported from the states.

I cook with CO, I have replaced shaving foam with CO and I use it in my hair once or twice a week (dry ends) I'm keen to start taking it in hot drinks, but not much of a coffee drinker. Perhaps in herbal tea! Advice welcome!! :wink:
  • monyea
    monyea Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I take liquid fish oil and I will try the ACV. Does the fish oil work as well as the coconut oil? I have lost 3 lbs in 2 days. I know I am not eating right but I needed a kick start. I ate Fiber one cereal with low fat milk, then about an hour later 1 bananna for breakfast. For lunch I had low fat strawberry yogurt with real blueberrys in it. For dinner I had 1 hard boiled egg and 8 sices of picled beets. Lots of diet iced tea. I am going to do this for one more day and then start adding a few calories until I get to 1200 per day. I started at 170 lbs. What is the best time of day to take the ACV?
  • gudiiya
    gudiiya Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    bump