This is horrifying...

Options
But more horrifying than the current situation?
You decide...
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/02/headless-chicken-solution

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You decide...
    How else are you going to feed a population of 6 billion and counting?
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    IT is horrific - I only eat free range or organic chicken. I won't eat battery hens on principle!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options

I have no better solutions. Just thought this would be an interesting topic for folks.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    You decide...

nonsense...

this is why i'm a vegetarian.. facts are, we dont feed 6billion (the number is closer to 7billion btw) people of the world. nearly 15% of the population is considered starving. i am not sure how many are considered mal nourished..there is a difference. many people in the US are malnourished yet overweight. facts are, animal farms, feed lots etc contribute to much of our pollution, clear cutting forests, erosion problems, poor soil quality. Facts are, a vegetarian diet is more sustainable for populations as well as the Earth. humans dont NEED meat to survive. in fact, vegetarian diets (if properly done) are overall healthier than one that incorporates meat.
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You decide...

Let's ask Dr Hannibal Lecter, he seemed legit in that documentary about the lambs or whatever...
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    It's disgusting, I tottaly agree with you man - but eh look at the way fishes are treated, so the monkeys for trying out a new gloss, so the dogs for a new shampoo.
    It's repulsing you since an article is written on that, officially. But under the radar, even more horrible things are happening just right now :frown:
  • AntWrig
    Options
    You decide...

nonsense...

this is why i'm a vegetarian.. facts are, we dont feed 6billion (the number is closer to 7billion btw) people of the world. nearly 15% of the population is considered starving. i am not sure how many are considered mal nourished..there is a difference. many people in the US are malnourished yet overweight. facts are, animal farms, feed lots etc contribute to much of our pollution, clear cutting forests, erosion problems, poor soil quality. Facts are, a vegetarian diet is more sustainable for populations as well as the Earth. humans dont NEED meat to survive. in fact, vegetarian diets (if properly done) are overall healthier than one that incorporates meat.
    6 billion, 7 billion, 8 billion, it doesn't matter. What does matter is the fact that huge population requires protein and yes the best protein comes from meat. It took millions of evolution that involved us being primarily meat eaters. Show me one study stating that "vegetarian diets (if properly done) are overall healthier than one that incorporates meat."

I will wait.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    You decide...
    By genetically engineering modified humans without stomach, blind and without cerebral cortex.
    They will be really stupid and docile, and comply with everything they are told. Plus they won't eat.

I find this topic fascinating.

My (real) personal opinion on the topic is that we can't keep "patching" or quick fixing things forever. If that's the only plan we have for the future, it's going to be a mess.
    At some point, we need to decide: OK we're going to stop being such a destructive wave for the planet - or things won't last forever.

Now we can decide to create headless chickens and stomachless humans, or we can decide to limit the waste of resources and even population growth. Heck, "even" Chinese people have been doing it for years...
  • AntWrig
    Options
    You decide...
    By genetically engineering modified humans without stomach, blind and without cerebral cortex.
    They will be really stupid and docile, and comply with everything they are told. Plus they won't eat.

I find this topic fascinating.

My (real) personal opinion on the topic is that we can't keep "patching" or quick fixing things forever. If that's the only plan we have for the future, it's going to be a mess.
    At some point, we need to decide: OK we're going to stop being such a destructive wave for the planet - or things won't last forever.

Now we can decide to create headless chickens and stomachless humans, or we can decide to limit the waste of resources and even population growth. Heck, "even" Chinese people have been doing it for years...
    Easier said then done. I want to see you tell people they can't have children.

(I agree with you by the way.)
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    "Ford argues that his solution is no more shocking than existing food-production techniques. “The realities of the existing systems of production are just as shocking,” he told Wired.co.uk, “but they are hidden behind the sentimental guise of traditional farming scenes that we as consumers hold in our minds and see on our food packaging.”"

^^ I think that is an important part of this article. The current situation I find even more horrifying. However, I think the solution is to sponsor free range chicken farmers, and organic farmers in general. Consumers dictate the market and if we decide we don't want genetically engineered plants and brainless matrix poultry, the farming practices will adapt.

I don't agree with an entirely vegetarian diet being more healthy, we are omnivores, but I do think we consume entirely too much meat in our diets. Cavemen did not eat meat with every meal and neither should we. I am a meat eater but most of my meals are vegetarian and sometimes vegan. Yesterday, for example, I had an entirely meat-free day. This practice allows me to buy free-range chicken even though it is more expensive because I am not eating as much of it.
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    You decide...

nonsense...

You realize that if we take your argument that no one should eat meat to the entire Earthly population (7 billion), we're going to have to slaughter millions of animals to sustain ourselves as a society. We'll need way more farmland to support the increased vegetable consumption. Those animals whom your trying to protect will by definition become competition for our survival. I'm not against vegetarianism, nor veganism, but that's the logical flaw in the argument.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

I don't agree with an entirely vegetarian diet being more healthy, we are omnivores, but I do think we consume entirely too much meat in our diets. Cavemen did not eat meat with every meal and neither should we. I am a meat eater but most of my meals are vegetarian and sometimes vegan. Yesterday, for example, I had an entirely meat-free day. This practice allows me to buy free-range chicken even though it is more expensive because I am not eating as much of it.

Completely agree with this. Human beings have been omnivorous since the beginning of human beings. Plenty of animals in the world are carnivorous. Different animals require different food sources. There is nothing better about being an omnivore, vegetarian, vegan, whatever. It's all about personal preference.

Personally I prefer to eat free range chicken and wild game (I'm from Texas, we hunt. Almost always have some kind of wild game in my freezer--thanks step dad!). But certainly not for every meal.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    One time, a chicken bit me. These new chickens will never do that. I like them.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Its definitely disturbing but not surprising. It was just a matter of time. This morning on the news they were talking about how one study was growing red meat in petri dishes. I couldn't watch it because I didn't want to know how.
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Oh my HOLY Damn......come on. This is on WIRED...its gotta be true, right?
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    You decide...

nonsense...

First, I'm not anti-vegan. But, what if the whole world's population decided to go vegan? Would there be enough space to raise veggies for 100% of the world's food? How much space *would* be required? Something to think about. Would we have to kill off all the cows and other animals we use for food, directly or indirectly?
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options

Completely agree with this. Human beings have been omnivorous since the beginning of human beings. Plenty of animals in the world are carnivorous. Different animals require different food sources. There is nothing better about being an omnivore, vegetarian, vegan, whatever. It's all about personal preference.

Personally I prefer to eat free range chicken and wild game (I'm from Texas, we hunt. Almost always have some kind of wild game in my freezer--thanks step dad!). But certainly not for every meal.

Exactly. If God did not intend for us to eat animals, he would not have made them out of meat! :-P
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    How is it horrifying if these 'animals' have no sensory part to their brain? If they feel no pain, why would this be considered inhumane?
  • livi_cowgirl
    livi_cowgirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    That's barbaric! Not to mention goes against the laws of nature. I have truly never read such an horrific notion in all my life. I hope to goodness that this "idea" never becomes common practice.
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    How is it horrifying if these 'animals' have no sensory part to their brain? If they feel no pain, why would this be considered inhumane?

I'm just playing devil's advocate, but can we be certain that the animals would feel no pain?

EDIT for clarification