Build to 200 situps challenge

Options

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'll be carrying on in this thread, as I don't find the group function on mfp very helpful.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Do you guys properly sit up or just bend in the middle?
  • meerkat70
    Options
    It's up to you. generally a crunch is 'safer' than a full situp. it's easy to strain the back and neck.
  • TisMee76
    TisMee76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm starting this on Wednesday. Doing my initial test this afternoon.

I start Pole Dancing on Friday night, so this will help out BIG time! (or kill me quicker!).

Thanks.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Good luck with both, tismee.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Alright, back in the game.

Week 3 Day 1

18 25 19 19 30
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    It's up to you. generally a crunch is 'safer' than a full situp. it's easy to strain the back and neck.

Hi, I'm not asking how hun, as I know. I'm asking if you guys actually how to properly crunch. How do you guys do it?
  • meerkat70
    Options

Hi, I'm not asking how hun, as I know. I'm asking if you guys actually how to properly crunch. How do you guys do it?

It sounds like you'd like to advise us, hun, so please do feel free... ?

Information on form can be found on the site if anyone's concerned. http://www.twohundredsitups.com/what.html
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    The correct way to bring in the abdominal muscles, rather than rely a lot on the hip flexors (which a lot of people do) is quite literally before the first rep is to contract the entire abdominal wall before you do the first rep (it should make you feel like you shrink down a bit).

It actually makes the whole process incredibly difficult and properly works the abs. I'd be shocked if anyone can do 200 reps in the correct manner, and this is why I ask.

Not trying to be a smart *kitten* tho guys, wanting you're work to be worthy of the time spent :smile:
  • meerkat70
    Options
    It's broken down into 5 sets. (You might want to check the information on the site? It's reasonably comprehensive.)

I can't speak for anyone else on the thread, but yes, my form is currently fine, with the contraction at the initiation point. Thanks for the advice though.

PS you might want to drop by the other 200 situps thread too. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/528119-200-situps-who-s-in
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think I might give this a go ,would these work lower abs to ? want to try and get rid of the belly below my belly :)
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Yeah, it's one big muscle, and crunches or bicycle crunches are both good. Building core strength is always a good idea.... It won't 'get rid' of the belly fat, but it will provide you with a lovely solid wall of muscle underneath it that will gradually be revealed as the belly fat goes... ! :-) But core strength will help you with all your other activity, and I find when I have a good strong core, I get less back ache etc.

You could try planks too. They're much harder than they look! There's a plank-a-day group out there somewhere, which is actually pretty motivating!
  • mom2tek
    mom2tek Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Completed W1 D1 column 3 with my 5 year old son. He's my little motivator. He's looking to get me into the pushup challenge now also :)
  • TisMee76
    TisMee76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Okay, initial test. 31.

Am not too sore, so tomorrow is the day!!!!!
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I did W1D1 column 1 today after yesterdays fail doing column 2, I did find it easy though
    pity there isn't a column 1.5 :)
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Don't worry. The first week is deceptively easy. Hang in there cause weeks 3 and 4 cometh!
  • lisavino
    lisavino Posts: 7
    Options
    I've been doing 200 crunches per day and feeling sore. Are sit UPS much better?
  • Roly59
    Roly59 Posts: 21
    Options
    Better late than never but I'm in just done assessment and managed 25 sits and 10 push. Watch this space......
  • EoinMag
    EoinMag Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I got the android Application for this, it's a big help.

I have been doing it a few weeks now. I was starting from a pretty unfit place and was fairly overweight at the start.
    I got up to about week 4 day 3 until I realised that my form was not good for about the last half of the crunches, so at that point I made the decision to start again and go for perfect form, so I reset to week 1 day 1 and then kept repeating that program until I was doing the whole day perfectly, obviously I started on the hardest column. I think I repeated that 6 days in a row before deciding to move on to day 2, I'm on my second iteration of day 2 now and am doing the whole lot pretty much perfectly.
    I decided I was not in competition with anyone and that I'd get more from it if I was doing them perfectly.

I am also alternating the 100 press ups program, I am finding that one easier to maintain form and am on week 3 day 2 of that, although there is a good possibility I will slow down on this one as I am finding it harder as time goes on. I find it especially hard if I did a heavy weights session the night before and am tired.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    welcome to the thread, roly and ema - there's one for pushups too (I think I called that 'pushups challenge', or something similarly innovative.... )

Lisa - while they call it a 'situps' challenge, the site information focuses on crunches, so I'm guessing your're way past needing the programme, if you're already doing 200 on an abs day. That's pretty amazing by the way! Very well done!

Ema, I have the app too - it does make it easier, you don't have to think about it too much. Good for you for focusing on form, not just on number. That's really great!