Christians, what are you giving up for lent?

Options
nnylee
nnylee Posts: 814 Member
I am removing soda and juice from my diet! Soda is easy, since I rarely have it, but I do love my juice!!

Replies

• bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Christian here but dont observe lent....
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Organized religion
  • MummyHungry
    MummyHungry Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Same thing I did last year...a few dollars a week to a charity. Last year was right after the Japan tsunami, so I sent a little more to the red cross fund every friday. Not sure who to choose this time...I may do different ones on different weeks.
  • nnylee
    Options
    That's cool, I don't judge! :)
    Organized religion
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I thought only Catholics did that, not Christians in general?
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options

I was thinking the same thing.
  • dubw
    dubw Posts: 429
    Options
    Not Catholic, but am giving up Twitter.
  • nnylee
    Options
    Well, I am Catholic and was originally going to say Catholic, but then I saw on wikipedia that it said, "This event, along with its pious customs are observed by Roman Catholics, Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, Anglicans and some Baptists."

edit: I said "Christians" to be safe. I'm aware that not all Christians observe~!
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Episcopal's do celebrate as well. But no, not all Christians do.
  • nnylee
    Options
    I tried to get into twitter, but never really got into it! Seems like it could be fun. XD
    Not Catholic, but am giving up Twitter.
  • BeccaAnderton
    Options
    A lot of non-religious people do it too, a lot of my friends do it along with me :) I'm giving up Starbucks (and all other coffee shops), and drinking. Gonna be tough! Might do 30 Day Shred over lent as well :)
  • kmganz
    kmganz Posts: 16
    Options
    Same thing I did last year...a few dollars a week to a charity. Last year was right after the Japan tsunami, so I sent a little more to the red cross fund every friday. Not sure who to choose this time...I may do different ones on different weeks.

I love this idea!!
  • Dahavol
    Options

Plenty of other denominations including some Lutheran's observe lent. I remember it from my Lutheran church growing up.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Well, I am Catholic and was originally going to say Catholic, but then I saw on wikipedia that it said, "This event, along with its pious customs are observed by Roman Catholics, Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, Anglicans and some Baptists."

So I said "Christians" to be safe. Haha.

This Baptist doesn't observe lent... but I do enjoy the fish options that come out as a result... :tongue:
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I haven't decided yet. right now, I have no desire for anything since I've been sick with morning sickness so I think I will have to just choose something I know I will like by the time this awful at is over.
  • nnylee
    Options
    Yeah, I have a few non-religious friends that are doing it also, just to do it. Oh man, Starbucks. I didn't even think of that. I love it so much. I will put that on my list too.
    A lot of non-religious people do it too, a lot of my friends do it along with me :) I'm giving up Starbucks (and all other coffee shops), and drinking. Gonna be tough! Might do 30 Day Shred over lent as well :)
  • TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    catholics observe lent... christians fast at the beginning of the year.
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Not Catholic but roommate is, so to help her with it I'm giving up dining hall cookies/ice cream, non-sandwich bread (like rolls and breadsticks), and eating out on weekends (which I do a lot).
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options

This is what I learned as well.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Not catholic, lutheran. But, I am giving up CIGARETTES!!