Christians, what are you giving up for lent?

Options

Replies

• stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    A lot of my non religious friends are giving up something for lent. It's more tradition over here though.
    I was going to give up my rich tea biscuits but I totally wouldnt stick to it so I'm going to DO instead. 1 more activity a week with my daughter. We're pretty busy as it is but I will squeeze in more fun time so we'll go to softplay and parks once a week :)
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    According to Wikipedia, it says others also observe. I said Christians to be safe. :)
    I thought only Catholics did that, not Christians in general?

This is what I learned as well.
  • kate_mariebug
    Options
    diet coke is my addiction. going to try to go for as as long as possible without it.
  • nnylee
    Options
    Cigarettes! Oh man! Good luck!!!
    Not catholic, lutheran. But, I am giving up CIGARETTES!!
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I usually give up pop or fast food or sweets, but seeing as Ive had 2 cans of pop since new years (I was sick and it was the ONLY thing I could keep down), havent had any fast food and have very severely limited the sweets it seems like kind of a cop out lol. So I'm just going to be diligent with sticking to working out, eating right, and just continuing to live healthier
  • marielladear
    Options
    I'm CoE and I do it :S
    Anyway, I'm going to give up meat, but i find that easy since I was veggie then vegan for two years, so perhaps I'll give up drinking and smoking as well as be a vegetarian again :D
  • e_NV_y
    e_NV_y Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Last year I did smoking.. and since i quit that, so on to my next HUGE addiction this year..... Facebook. its going to be a tough one!!
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Not catholic, lutheran. But, I am giving up CIGARETTES!!

Wow go you. Wish you all the luck in the world with that x
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up winning the lottery, for lent. I like to pick goals that are obtainable, to avoid disappointment.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Lutherans observe it.
  • jennp1129
    jennp1129 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Raised Catholic and converted to Quaker in my teens. I still like to observe lent. I like the challenge of giving something up for an extended period of time. Last year I gave up shopping (besides grocery and house hold stuff) This year I'm going soda and juice.

Good luck to all.
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Catholic-No Cristian-Yes, I do observe Lent
    Giving up All animal products and gluten (going for a gluten-free, vegan experience) It's going to be serious work for me.
  • nnylee
    Options
    Facebook??? Oh man! I give you SO much props for that. I am ADDICTED.
    Last year I did smoking.. and since i quit that, so on to my next HUGE addiction this year..... Facebook. its going to be a tough one!!
  • nnylee
    Options
    Wowowowow. That is amazing. Good luck!!
    Catholic-No Cristian-Yes, I do observe Lent
    Giving up All animal products and gluten (going for a gluten-free, vegan experience) It's going to be serious work for me.
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try giving up pizza (since I am a borderline addict) and see how that goes.
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Baptist here and I observe it every year.

Last year I gave up alcohol and cheese. Cheese was really hard - they put it in everything!

This year, coffee and wine. I already gave up soda.
  • lmcenin
    Options
    I'm giving up being judgmental (or at least that's the plan!)
  • Papa_Swearingen
    Papa_Swearingen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Beef jerkey. why is it a serious weakness for me? I have no clue... on a side not I nixed a facebook addiction over a month ago, so I'm actually way ahead of the game.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Lots of non-catholic observe lent. usually Lutherans Episcopal, Presbyterian and Methodist. I am a Methodist. I am giving up flavored greek yogurt in favor of a lower sugar breakfast. My husband and I are giving up cussing. We will have a swear jar and donate anything in it at the end of lent.

I may give up the 2 soda I drink a month as well.
  • nnylee
    Options
    Soda and juice is what I'm doing!! Niceee!! Goal twins!
    Raised Catholic and converted to Quaker in my teens. I still like to observe lent. I like the challenge of giving something up for an extended period of time. Last year I gave up shopping (besides grocery and house hold stuff) This year I'm going soda and juice.

Good luck to all.