Christians, what are you giving up for lent?

Options

Replies

• allthangs
    Options
    This is interesting. I believe it has helped me decide another topic to write about. I am a Christian. I go to a baptist church. We do not observe this idea. However, I believe it would be nice to see if I can "give up" something.
    It is just like fasting.

So here is the idea:
    I can give up something for maybe a month (30 days). By then I will be over it and will not want it any more.
    Then, next month rolls around (another 30 days) give up something else.
    and so on...
    The idea is to rid myself of all bad and unhealthy habits one at a time instead of just quitting them all cold turkey.

Off to blog about it.....
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Christian here but don't give anything up for Lent.
  • Jenny_Bee
    Options
    I'm gonna try to give up coffee, and with the money I save I'm giving to a Missionary who is close to my heart.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Just a comment, - A few years ago I was at a meeting at church right around the beginning of Lent, and one of the nuns reminded us that Lent was a time to make a sacrifice, to give up something that we liked or loved, that had some meaning to give up. That it was NOT a time to diet or use Lent as a diet plan (lol). Anyway, as a kid, I remember giving up a favorite TV show during Lent (if I said which one, I'd be showing my age :). Good luck to everyone!:flowerforyou:
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Cheese. I love cheese! Especially Brie!!

I also love wine! Aghhh, go you!!
    Baptist here and I observe it every year.

Last year I gave up alcohol and cheese. Cheese was really hard - they put it in everything!

This year, coffee and wine. I already gave up soda.
  • Sanduni
    Options
    im giving up meat & alcohol......... :)
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat completely vegetarian at least 1 day a week. I would give up red meat, but I don't eat it much as it is, same with alcohol. And I'm not giving up chocolate. That's the 1 thing that keeps me sane. ;) I'm looking into fasting 1 day a week as well, but the jury's out on that one.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Organized religion

:drinker:
  • nnylee
    Options
    So true! I love me my juice~! I gave up all of TV last year, it was incredibly difficult. :(
    Just a comment, - A few years ago I was at a meeting at church right around the beginning of Lent, and one of the nuns reminded us that Lent was a time to make a sacrifice, to give up something that we liked or loved, that had some meaning to give up. That it was NOT a time to diet or use Lent as a diet plan (lol). Anyway, as a kid, I remember giving up a favorite TV show during Lent (if I said which one, I'd be showing my age :). Good luck to everyone!:flowerforyou:
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm not religious, but was brought up Catholic so it's something that's stuck with me!

I'm giving up being too lazy to go jogging, going to go 3 times a week in lent (and keep it up after hopefully!!)
  • jcraig22
    Options
    I am giving up sugar. Not all sugar of course but in the candy form for sure! I also want to add in more exercise :tongue:
  • katiezi
    katiezi Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up soda and alcohol and the sweets. The soda might be hard but if I can be consistent with alcohol and sweets I will be happy. Sometimes I just really need to caffeine to stay awake, that's why soda might be hard.
  • CherylPierce
    CherylPierce Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Not catholic, lutheran. But, I am giving up CIGARETTES!!

Good for you!!!!!
  • jnance82
    jnance82 Posts: 149
    Options
    My three "C's", cake, cookies, and candy. Not a day goes by that I don't eat at least one of those things.

10502719.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Bean615
    Bean615 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i am going to give up diet soda. i was never a soda drinker until i started dieting. its weird i just crave it, but i want to stop drinking it so Lent is the perfect reason to!
  • nnylee
    Options
    What ever works best for you! As an artist in New York, most of everyone I know isn't into organized religion. I'm the odd woman out. I just dig it!
    Organized religion

:drinker:
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    A lot of non-religious people do it too, a lot of my friends do it along with me :) I'm giving up Starbucks (and all other coffee shops), and drinking. Gonna be tough! Might do 30 Day Shred over lent as well :)

I'm not religious but I'm giving up chocolate, alcohol and unnecessary spending! I do it as a personal challenge!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I thought only Catholics did that, not Christians in general?

I was thinking the same thing.

Ditto
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try and give up swearing...and hope it sticks.
  • CapsFan17
    Options
    Might do 30 Day Shred over lent as well :)

I'm still trying to decide but I like this ^^ I might have to borrow your idea.