Christians, what are you giving up for lent?

Options

Replies

• jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    MFP- Kidding.
    I am giving up wine, peanut butter and fried foods. I usually give up sex too- ha ha
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Ok, now I'm not trying to start something... but why do people give up seemingly trivial things... or things that seem easy.... like food. I mean I can see cigarettes... I mean isn't the point of Lent to give up something that hinders ones relationship with God? I'm truly curious, so I'm not trying to judge anyone... I mean, I guess unless consuming things like chocolate or soda is hindering ones relationship with God by not being a good steward of your body... but if that's the case, then shouldn't one abstain from that for longer than 40 days?

ETA: sorry for using "I mean" too many times in this posting... :ohwell:
  • Katie41907
    Options
    Def Pizza! Probably Starbucks. Hopefully Cussing!

God help me!
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    It would have to be something that would be very difficult to give up. Spark . I'll give up my energy drink for the entire lenten period.
    UGH.. this is gonna be rough
  • anamita3
    Options
    I'm not sure yet, but I think I'll make sure to exercise at least 30 min a day for lent.

And lots of people of many denoms celebrate lent. ( I however am Catholic)
  • krystosch
    krystosch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am getting rid of Starbucks and just watching my intake of sweets. I like the idea of the 30 day shred in there. Maybe I'll add that back in!
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am going to give up 5 pounds!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Well, I am Catholic and was originally going to say Catholic, but then I saw on wikipedia that it said, "This event, along with its pious customs are observed by Roman Catholics, Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, Anglicans and some Baptists."

So I said "Christians" to be safe. Haha.

This Baptist doesn't observe lent... but I do enjoy the fish options that come out as a result... :tongue:

Raised Baptist (but I am not overly religious). I didnt hear of "lent" till I hung out with my Catholic friends growing up.

I LOVE all the seafood deals that come around during lent though! Yum Yum Yum!
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I gave up pop (soda) last year and it was extremely hard (my only form of caffeine), but I did it! I was going to give it up again this year, but since last year I rarely have it. Still trying to decide what to give up :(
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I no longer practice Catholism, and haven't done a Lenten Fast for years, but this year I plan on giving up red meat and pork. It has been hard to give these up, and this is the push I need. I am non-denominational Christian now, and we don't do a "Lenten fast", but I figure if Christ can fast for 40 days and nights, I can give something up to remember what He has done for us.
  • anamita3
    Options
    Ok, now I'm not trying to start something... but why do people give up seemingly trivial things... or things that seem easy.... like food. I mean I can see cigarettes... I mean isn't the point of Lent to give up something that hinders ones relationship with God? I'm truly curious, so I'm not trying to judge anyone... I mean, I guess unless consuming things like chocolate or soda is hindering ones relationship with God by not being a good steward of your body... but if that's the case, then shouldn't one abstain from that for longer than 40 days?

Anything that helps you learn some discipline works. But if you don't get closer to God or learn something from the experience, it's just another diet.:smile:
  • mcelledge
    mcelledge Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    junk food - candy, crackers, cookies ....
  • dutchess48
    Options
    Well, I am Catholic and was originally going to say Catholic, but then I saw on wikipedia that it said, "This event, along with its pious customs are observed by Roman Catholics, Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, Anglicans and some Baptists."

So I said "Christians" to be safe. Haha.

This Baptist doesn't observe lent... but I do enjoy the fish options that come out as a result... :tongue:

Yes some do actually ! I do!
  • katy4399
    katy4399 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am not Lutheran or Catholic, but I am giving up Facebook. It is my most severe addiction. It's a time suck and could find better things to do :)

Good luck everyone.
  • PRod31
    PRod31 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Not catholic, lutheran. But, I am giving up CIGARETTES!!

Congratulations!
  • garnetsms
    garnetsms Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Just a comment, - A few years ago I was at a meeting at church right around the beginning of Lent, and one of the nuns reminded us that Lent was a time to make a sacrifice, to give up something that we liked or loved, that had some meaning to give up. That it was NOT a time to diet or use Lent as a diet plan (lol). Anyway, as a kid, I remember giving up a favorite TV show during Lent (if I said which one, I'd be showing my age :). Good luck to everyone!:flowerforyou:

I totally agree!!

That is why I'm giving up chocolate for Lent! I use chocolate as a substitiute, comfort if you will when instead I should be seeking something more positive. That is my goal for the next 40 days.

Very good answers, good luck to all of you!!
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    For some people, giving up soda and chocolate are extremely difficult. I for one, will never give up juice. I eat everything in moderation now, but I really, really love juice..so I'm giving it up. I gave up TV last year for lent. I am thinking that it may seem easy to you, but perhaps it might not be for others? Just my two cents! :D
  • waferzdog
    Options
    I too am a Christian, but we don't give up for lent. If I did, I would probably try to give up that little chocolate bar I have on occassion to reward myself. It 100 calories I don't need.
  • rachellegarza
    Options
    I'm Catholic and plan to give up my beloved chocolate (even if it's Skinny Cow) and diet Dr. Pepper. But, I love this idea! Maybe this way, I can't rid myself of all bad things. Thanks!
    This is interesting. I believe it has helped me decide another topic to write about. I am a Christian. I go to a baptist church. We do not observe this idea. However, I believe it would be nice to see if I can "give up" something.
    It is just like fasting.

So here is the idea:
    I can give up something for maybe a month (30 days). By then I will be over it and will not want it any more.
    Then, next month rolls around (another 30 days) give up something else.
    and so on...
    The idea is to rid myself of all bad and unhealthy habits one at a time instead of just quitting them all cold turkey.

Off to blog about it.....
  • mcelledge
    mcelledge Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am southern Baptist and not really into LENT but i do believe in fasting during specific times and for specific reasons. I need to get focused on doing God's work and that gives me reason enough to fast. Fasting can take on all forms - from food to activities, etc.
    Good luck to everyone and be sure to pray especially hard during your fasting period.