How to deal with racists?

Options

Replies

• Koketa0510
    Options
    I totally get what you mean. I try my best to ignore it when it comes to me but when my family is involved it's hard to keep calm and talk nicely.
    For the most part I run into caucasian people who are the ones being racist. I just try to calmly say something like " ohh did you know what Jesus and NOT white, mostly dark brown maybe black.. read the bible its in there somewhere" ..
    I try not to stoop to their lever I just say " that's your opinion not an actual fact" ... but If I can stay away from it I will....
    Im interested too as to how other people respond.
  • prettylyzard
    prettylyzard Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher and my favorite way to deal with it is to explain it....especially if people know and like you...my line is "That really offends me, my (insert friend or relative here) is (insert race or sexuality). Example: That offends me, my sister is a lesbian. I got kids, parents and faculty at my last school definitely checking their comments and thinking about things differently. I always hated it when the kids would use terms as put downs...such as "That shirt is gay", again, I would respond with ex: My brother is gay so I don't appreciate your use of that word. Works every time and I never offended anyone.
  • LaurieEReid
    Options
    I think the most mild that you can be is to say, "I don't appreciate that kind of joke / comment / ignorant remark." But it still takes a lot of guts to say it. Unfortuantely a lot more than it takes to say the ignorant remark apparently.
  • sheryllamb72
    sheryllamb72 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Example: Some guy told me in a few choice words about stereotypes of a race, so i told him since hes white he must play his banjo in his trailor white the cousin he married is in the kitchen making possum suprise..so yeah, i need a WAY more tactful way of handeling the situation.

That's not the greatest reply to tackle racism when it's derogatory in itself.

I think she was being sarcastic!!!
  • rochey1098
    Options
    When people are openly racist they're being confrontational. They want to upset someone. If you make that someone yourself then you're playing right into their hands. If they weren't being racist they'd be at a womens institute being sexist or on here moaning about fat people.

You can't punish these people, they're already damaged.
  • SnowWhite824
    Options
    I think you should say something along the lines of "I don't appreciate that way of thinking - I have minorities in my family, so when you speak in a derogatory way about them, it means you think the same of me. If thats the way you feel, I feel bad for you going through life so closed minded, if you can't see that everyone is equal, and there is no way to enlighten you, that's fine, but please keep your thoughts to yourself."
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I had to leave the south because I seriously couldn't stand it. Being a minority to some degree you have to ignore it. If I let every racist thing ever said to me or in front of me get to me - I would be a crazy person.
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    On a more practical side,

IF someone is really getting to you. Say, "I'm sorry for that sir or ma'am. Let me get my manager and see if they can help you with that." Then let them deal with it. It's what they get paid for.
  • luvnthenewme
    luvnthenewme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this, but white people do not hold a monopoly on racism.....nor do rednecks, Christians, college professors, prostitutes, Native Americans, communists, Chinese, McDonald's employees, Nascar drivers, lesbians, cookie monsters, or anyone else!!! Racism comes in all shapes and sizes.... and it affects us ALL.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Ignore the bad people in your life. If it gets to be too much to handle, file harrasment claims at your police department. In general, Just stay away from negative people....racist or not. Also do not judge everyone by their outward appearance.
  • dwtouch4
    Options
    You'll never convince someone not to be racist but you can at least say "That kind of talk is not ok with me and I don't want to hear it anymore." Usually racist people open their mouth because they think they have a friendly ear. Once they realize they don't they have much less incentive to continue that is unless they do it because they enjoy upsetting people. Most racists are cowards who are afraid to express their views to those who would be hostile to them.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I live in a redneck town where if you are brown you are automatically mexican, and if you are "yellow" you are autimatically chinese. It's full of extreme conservatives who feel like since they are white and christian, they can say anything about anyone they feel is beneath them,
    so i told him since hes white he must play his banjo in his trailor white the cousin he married is in the kitchen making possum suprise..so yeah, i need a WAY more tactful way of handeling the situation.

IRONY! Get yours while it's hot and fresh! That is not how to do it.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    ok sorry if you aren't sensing my sarcasm....i know jesus is was a jew, and hung out with samaritans and people that no one would imagine to.....i was TOTALLY being sarcastic with that comment......sorry if anyone thought otherwise./....and i know i handled myself wrong in the situation, thus the reason i was asking advice for a more tactful approach
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    If your co-workers are making those comments at work than that can be cause for dismissal under any harassment policy your company has.

A guy got fired from my work (also customer service) for making racist comments.
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Tell them. "I dont ask who you take to your bedroom, so please stay out of mine." "if you dont have anything nice to say, keep it to yourself."

I love all people and do not tolerate ignorance on the matter.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I dont have people for their race, but i do hate people from another state....North Dakota. There is only one TRUE Dakota... and thats South Dakota!!!

Does that count as racist?

I'm kidding of course for all you nodakers out there... :drinker:
  • dport7
    dport7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Some guy told me in a few choice words about stereotypes of a race, so i told him since hes WHITE he must play his banjo in his trailor white the cousin he married is in the kitchen making possum suprise..so yeah, i need a WAY more tactful way of handeling the situation.

Sounds racist to me. Two wrongs don't make a right and to choose the lesser of two evils is still evil.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Most people who are this ignorant are beyond dealing with. There really isn't much that can be done. When I hear serious comments like this I usually point out how stereotypical it is and how dumb it is to be prejudice.

I moved from a big city to a small town during high school and found this VERY hard to deal with. I mostly ignored it, but as you are in a situation at work you really should go to a higher authority (supervisor) to tell them about your coworker.

Ignorance is hard to repair but remember what you believe. These people know nothing beyond their small little world. We are all humans regardless of sexual preference, race, ethnicity, gender identity etc.

No two people are alike and we should celebrate the uniqueness of our world!
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm offended (not really) that you stereotyped "White, Conservatives". I'm white, and conservative, does that make me more apt to be racist, than a black, liberal? Sounds like you live in a place where there is a lot of ignorance. You can't cure stupid.
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this, but white people do not hold a monopoly on racism.....nor do rednecks, Christians, college professors, prostitutes, Native Americans, communists, Chinese, McDonald's employees, Nascar drivers, lesbians, cookie monsters, or anyone else!!! Racism comes in all shapes and sizes.... and it affects us ALL.

::trips:: Careful with that soapbox!!
This discussion has been closed.