a question mostly for guys and totally not mfp related

Options

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Question: My hubby said that when men at a bar see women that are "out of their league", they talk to her friends and buy them drinks to get the girl to wonder to herself why he isnt talking to her or buying her drinks ultimately luring the "out of his league" girl to him. Do men, or for that matter people in general ACTUALLY do this?
    No, I don't think men do this.

Sometimes, they do this, as was the case for me once: He got all his friends to get my friends away from me until I suddenly realized I was on the dance floor without any of my friends. That's when he walked up to me.

He had lots of wingmans that night...
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    Question: My hubby said that when men at a bar see women that are "out of their league", they talk to her friends and buy them drinks to get the girl to wonder to herself why he isnt talking to her or buying her drinks ultimately luring the "out of his league" girl to him. Do men, or for that matter people in general ACTUALLY do this?
    No, I don't think men do this.

Sometimes, they do this, as was the case for me once: He got all his friends to get my friends away from me until I suddenly realized I was on the dance floor without any of my friends. That's when he walked up to me.

He had lots of wingmans that night...

lol that sounds like one dedicated dude!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I know that you are looking for guys opinions on this, but a coworker friend of mine (who is male) is reading book at the moment (I can't remember what it's called or the author...helpful, I know), but it is essentially about how to pick up girls in social situations.

It's probably Mystery Method or "The Game" by Neil Strauss.

I have read both and spent half my time laughing and the other half snorting in derision. I can't believe some men invest so much time obsessing about how to attract women when they could spend that time investing in themselves, careers and life goals and attract women quite naturally.

I'm old fashioned like that..
  • theleftie
    Options
    For me, it is all about how a woman carries herself and if she seems approachable. If she smiles easily... if she seems nice... eye contact... that whole thing.

see i do all that, except the eye contact unless im walking passed them... and thats just cause im there to have a good time with the ladies, not there to get picked up, tho a free drink every now and again would be fab lol

You want what you want and how you want it. Join the club.

While you are there do you ever let your attention move past the group of ladies you are with.
    If you don`t then with the ring it is saying "back off".

Honestly though be careful,while it may be confusing to you when you think about it and all the potential issues is it really a bad thing for your life?

its not bad really, so much as just something i have a hard time understanding. and i wouldnt mind the conversation every now and again, i like to talk to lots of people and guys and girls offer good conversation. not to mention not having to buy my own drinks all the time would be a small plus, even the ONE guy who bought me a drink knew i was married and still bought it, it was nice :)

and i do look around often, i like to see whats going on everywhere in and out of the group
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    Even when I was single, I never bought a woman I did not know a drink at a bar. It may say I am cheap, but my reason was that I always wanted a woman to have a level head when she made THE DECISION. Now after talking to her and I felt comfortable, I would offer, but buying a drink was not my calling card.

And you are a beautiful woman so most men may think their chances are slim and none, so they invest their money in better odds.

thank you, and thats a very good tactic to have. its best to make sure a woman wouldnt regret a decision for sure. i dont call that cheap, if you are looking id say its a very smart move.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My friends used to get hit on a lot more than I did, but they were all much flirtier than I am/was. One was a complete natural with flirting... unless she really liked a guy, then she's get all bashful and tongue-tied. I was the complete opposite... I'm typically more quiet and could only flirt if the chemistry was there.

Or in short... everyone's different and physical appearance is only one fraction of what makes someone seem attractive or interesting.

I don't think I've ever had a guy buy me a drink. They had this knack for offering to buy me one right AFTER I got my own. I shoulda just asked for cash. :laugh:
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I think it's more likely that you just give off a "don't bother" vibe at the bar. I never get hit on at the bar but I do get hit on other places, at the bar I just don't want strange men coming on to me and buying me drinks so I'm more closed off and honestly, I think they pick up on that.
  • Lyndi4
    Lyndi4 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Have you seen "A Beautiful Mind"?

That's one of John Nash's early theories of optimisation - everyone aims for a goal that's lesser than the most desirable one. So I think hubby's theory has some basis.
    I think your husband saw this movie................

Oh, yeah, I remember that scene from that movie. Love that movie! I think that you are probably giving off a taken vibe though. I am taken, and I have been told that I give off a taken vibe, not to mention the fact that I usually have anywhere from 1-4 kids with me and don't hang out at bars. LOL. It's nice to be noticed every once in a while, but I don't mind that I give off a taken vibe. I am happily taken. :smile: However, I guess it could make you wonder what's up if your friends are getting drinks & you aren't. You are beautiful, though, so don't worry about that and given that your hubs tried to reassure you he sounds like a sweetie too. You got a good one! :flowerforyou:
  • catic
    catic Posts: 156
    Options
    your married, I'm not sure why it matters? Espcially if you get hit on everywhere else?
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    no way that guys think that deep on it !
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If the goods are odd, the odds are good.
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    maybe its cause they are scared of you O_O being a ginger and all lol

jk jk i love gingers. id totally hit on you minus the married part..... i dont get that.. maybe why i dont go out... i stay far away from taken people... bad joo joo
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    your married, I'm not sure why it matters? Espcially if you get hit on everywhere else?

taken or not its still confusing when the bar is the only place i dont get hit on or talked to, unless its a friend, dudes tend to steer clear. and it was a question to see if the hubbys idea actually happens in real life...
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    For me, it is all about how a woman carries herself and if she seems approachable. If she smiles easily... if she seems nice... eye contact... that whole thing.

see i do all that, except the eye contact unless im walking passed them... and thats just cause im there to have a good time with the ladies, not there to get picked up, tho a free drink every now and again would be fab lol

Good time with the ladies or not, I eye f*** the hell out of anyone checking me out, just because I can. It makes it more fun...
  • bigredhearts
    Options

jk jk i love gingers. id totally hit on you minus the married part..... i dont get that.. maybe why i dont go out... i stay far away from taken people... bad joo joo

lol being a red head is one of my hubbys fav parts of me! lol and i dont mind being talked to as long as the dude dont spit some rediculous line at me... lol... cause otherwise its just conversation to me but i cant even get that lol... so maybe, they r a little scared haha
  • LTrain16
    Options
    I didn't read the all of the posts, but you should be thankful you don't get hit on in bars, or have people buy drinks for you. Bars are a place for a guy that is a target rich environment. They are looking to hook up and move on. Most of the time if a guy is buying drinks or hitting on a girl, he thinks she is an easy take. There are exceptions, but for the most part, every guy and girl knows this to be true.

No offense to your friends, but you probably carry yourself in a way that does make a guy want to "waste" potential time with when there is going to be no payoff. This is a compliment to you, and has definitely worked in your favor. In my opinion anyway.

I am sure your husband earned some brownie points with his theory, and he is not completely incorrect. It just isn't done to get to know more about the "out of the league" girl, it is more about getting after the girls who are more likely to be the ones you are going to take home.
  • QuentinHardage
    Options
    Going to the bar for an alcoholic drink and to meet the woman of my dreams, is not compatible with my current lifestyle, nor is the bar I would expect to meet a woman I would marry.

If I were single and looking for someone to date, I would try to meet her at an exercise location, yoga retreat or workshop, church function. and if she appealed to me and had a happy face, I would quickly introduce myself.
  • fabulousby45
    Options
    I had to reply (even though I have not read everyone's post). I know, right? Anyway, I go with my girls too and I've only had it happen one time. But you have to remember, if you live in a small town, everyone knows everyone. If you are a regular, than they will know if you flirt, tease or are just looking for fun with the girls. I however play pool tounaments and I intimidate most men with that (I've won everytime I have played and I just test run a guy, I never have a partner). So that's my issue...haven't found many brave enough to cross me, so glad the hubs still has me I guess!!

Good luck on finding your answer!! :drinker:
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options

lol being a red head is one of my hubbys fav parts of me! lol and i dont mind being talked to as long as the dude dont spit some rediculous line at me... lol... cause otherwise its just conversation to me but i cant even get that lol... so maybe, they r a little scared haha

hahaha i really do love ginger's i think they are great!! any who i think thats why i get hit on when i go out.. i have NO intention of taking a woman home so i just joke around with people and my best lines are " did you fart cause you blew me away " and "if you were a booger id chose you first" and if im feeling really frisky " do you have crabs cause im itching to get in your pants" all of which make sure i'm going home alone :)
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    I didn't read the all of the posts, but you should be thankful you don't get hit on in bars, or have people buy drinks for you. Bars are a place for a guy that is a target rich environment. They are looking to hook up and move on. Most of the time if a guy is buying drinks or hitting on a girl, he thinks she is an easy take. There are exceptions, but for the most part, every guy and girl knows this to be true.

No offense to your friends, but you probably carry yourself in a way that does make a guy want to "waste" potential time with when there is going to be no payoff. This is a compliment to you, and has definitely worked in your favor. In my opinion anyway.

I am sure your husband earned some brownie points with his theory, and he is not completely incorrect. It just isn't done to get to know more about the "out of the league" girl, it is more about getting after the girls who are more likely to be the ones you are going to take home.

well that is a compliment! and this makes a lot of sense...