IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Your Results

You have 39.8% body fat.

You have 102.3 Pounds of fat and 154.7 Pounds of lean (muscle, bone, body water).

Well isnt that just depressing!!! :sad:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    The only test I would trust is the legit one where you pay and they dunk you under water- that is by far the most accurate, all these other estimations can be off as much as 20% ive learned.

Where you pay and they dunk you under water??? How does that work, explain yourself! hehehe, seriously though, how does that work?
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Well, I personally like it....shows me as "underfat"....???
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    The only test I would trust is the legit one where you pay and they dunk you under water- that is by far the most accurate, all these other estimations can be off as much as 20% ive learned.

Where you pay and they dunk you under water??? How does that work, explain yourself! hehehe, seriously though, how does that work?

They compare what you weigh on a standard scale to what you weigh while floating in water. Your fat is less dense than water, so it floats, thus won't add to floating weight.

floating weight/ standing weight = body fat weight %.

This will tell you what percent of your weight is fat, but not what percent of your mass. Plus, depending on how much water is in your muscles, and depending on how much muscle mass you have, this test could get pretty wonky.

Quit worrying about percentages and focus on fitness and measures of health (blood pressure, cholesterol, oxygen levels). You just have look at how broad they have to make the charts to see how imprecise this tomfoolery is.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

They compare what you weigh on a standard scale to what you weigh while floating in water. Your fat is less dense than water, so it floats, thus won't add to floating weight.

floating weight/ standing weight = body fat weight %.

This will tell you what percent of your weight is fat, but not what percent of your mass. Plus, depending on how much water is in your muscles, and depending on how much muscle mass you have, this test could get pretty wonky.

Quit worrying about percentages and focus on fitness and measures of health (blood pressure, cholesterol, oxygen levels). You just have look at how broad they have to make the charts to see how imprecise this tomfoolery is.

EXACTLY!!!

As if the internet is going to be able to tell you what your body fat percentage is, anyway.
  • jelicaa
    jelicaa Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    One of the calculators has me at 24% and one at 26%. I'm a bit surprised. I feel like my legs are really quite strong now. I guess I'm just not "there" yet.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I want to try this when I can measure!!
  • ccnjc4e
    ccnjc4e Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Mine says:

You have 29% body fat.

You have 69.6 Pounds of fat and 170.4 Pounds of lean (muscle, bone, body water).

Really? I don't really know. So since I am trying to lose weight, can I even get down to 160?
  • billgiersberg
    Options
    bumping....
  • hbart500
    hbart500 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    bumpidity-bump!!!!
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Nope - not too accurate at all in my case - very flattering, but not accurate.

I am still snickering at the whole of your first paragraph though :) - seems that one blew by everyone. (the very first post that started this thread on page 1)
  • Aphreal
    Aphreal Posts: 103
    Options
    You have 32% body fat. Hey i am happy to be average instead of what I used to be! This means I need to loose 10% body fat and that just doesn't overwhelm me :)
  • Aphreal
    Aphreal Posts: 103
    Options
    Mine says 18.1% but that just seems too low based on my appearance. I think I'm more around 22%, but I do have some loose skin due to being so heavy for so long, so it's possible that it is lower than I think it should be.

Regardless, it's a good tool to gauge progress over time.

My loose skin used to be pretty bad, yours will tighten over time
    :flowerforyou:

Depends on genetics :) My skin was stretched beyond what it could manage and it would split and bleed. It never did tighten up. Like a rubberband with broken strands. I had it repaired along with damage ab muscles.
  • Mishi1369
    Options
    bump
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Says I have 24.5% body fat. Oops.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    cool link. i tried it out and it was quite accurate for me.

"How Accurate Is This Body Fat Test?

This tape-measure test is used to estimate your percent body fat. It is usually quite accurate-- so if a man got 17 percent from this test, he could expect his true percent body fat to be anywhere between 15 and 19 percent.

For some people, however, the results of the tape measure test may not come so close to their true percent body fat. People who are very, very fit can get numbers 3 to 5 percent higher than their true percent body fat. Because they don't have a lot of fat inside their muscles, very fit people may be lower in body fat than this tape measure test indicates.

Conversely, if a person is skinny but not fit, this body fat test may yield a number 3 to 5 percent lower than his or her true percent body fat. Though they look thin, unfit skinny people really have more than the usual amount of fat inside their muscles, which you can't see from the outside.

So, what's the bottom line? For many people, this tape measure test is quite accurate, it puts you in control, it can be done frequently and it costs nothing.

The most valuable aspect is that you can test yourself and you can see change over time."

this is through a FAQ link on the page at the end of the test. it's the best thing i've found without having to go pay a doctor. it was only off by 2% for me. it's not gospel, folks!

Thanks for posting that. I've always been rather skeptical of the tape measure BF tests. Then again, all the methods that we can do at home are prone to error.