Is there anyone that eats more than 1200 calories a day??

Options
I have seen so many people just on a 1200 calorie diet. I am on a 1740 calorie a day limit, and have found it a challenge a few day's. I eat mostly low fat, baked, steamed. Nothing fried, and very limited on the fats in my diet. To tell you the truth, I don't think I would be a very pleasant person on a 1200 calorie a day diet! LOL!

For those of you that do it, that's great! Just not sure how you do it. I exercise alot, and also am pretty muscular. I am losing weight and feel good at where my calorie limit is. I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with added snacks.

Just would love to hear from others on this subject......

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    3200-3400 give or take, but I'm gaining.

I lose at a great pace at about 2250-2400.
  • loki3981
    loki3981 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I recently upped from 1200 + workout calories to 1580+ workout calories and my mental health has soared!! I feel like a real person again. :)
  • YcatsFursworth
    YcatsFursworth Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1330 then whatever I work out... if I gym it's like 650 and if I gym and 30ds on the same day it's a full 900 more then normal! I don't normally eat all my workout ones back though I do try and force myself to eat atleast half of them back!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I aim for 1650 - 1700. Losing slowly, but also not an absolute grouch. 1200 calories eaten usually by 3 pm.
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    1600 here. Sometimes I think they are a little low in setting calorie amounts on here.
  • keystoneman
    Options
    I eat a 2100 calorie diet, and I even splurge on the weekends. I'm still losing weight. I think it really depends on the person.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    my profile has me at 1780. Hard to get that much in but I make up for it with drinks after p90x. Protien, chocolate milk etc... calories but not so filling...no alcohol....not what i meant by drinks...
  • mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 1500 cals, kinda sticking to that and making progress
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    1590, but I tend to re-arrange that throughout the days based on my hunger. i.e. if i know my husband wants pizza on friday night, i'll eat 1100 calories on thursday so i'm not wracked with guilt and stress over my junk food the next day. not sure if that's how i'm supposed to do it, but it works for me.
  • redcut
    redcut Posts: 176
    Options
    I get 1430 and I find it hard to reach all the time but I usually stay above 1200 and I am loosing about 1lb a week so I feel that is what works for me.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I hover around 2,000 a day. If I get below 1,700 it's a struggle for me to work out.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    My maintenance right now on a non-active day is about 1610 (per MFP, with activity level set to 'sedentary'), I have my goal set to lose 1/2 lb per week so my calories are set to 1360 per day. When I exercise (almost every day) I eat back what I burn (estimated with my HRM) so I normally eat a total of a anywhere from 1600-2000 per day, depending on how much I exercised. I don't really have a problem eating that much, I love food, that was kind of my main motivation when I first started exercising months ago, so I could eat more. LOL I rarely stay under that 1360 on days that I don't exercise for whatever reason, normally I would probably eat closer to 1500-1600 on a non-exercise day and just not stress over it. It's hard for me to eat less than that now that I'm used to eating more again. (I was on 1200 calories for a long time in the beginning, before I started exercising, and I did it just fine at the time but now I'm used to being able to snack throughout the day LOL).
  • Redrubyslip
    Options
    I do 1500. I get more if exercise, but I don't go much over the 1500. Sound like I'm much like yourself. I am exercising and have always been pretty muscular. I don't think I would be fit to be around on a 1200 cal diet. It wouldn't give "me" enough fuel, expecially w/ the exercising I'm doing. And, I enjoy food. I'm just learning to not abuse it by overeating or choosing too much "bad" food.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I've got it set to 1450 net, and I still end up slightly over some days.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Most people should be eating more than 1200. The majority of people on 1200 cals have their weekly weight loss goal set too aggressively.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm on the 1200 a day but exercise so I can eat more, so the net calories at the end of the day is around 1200 but I'm consuming more........
  • ShawnaCurley
    ShawnaCurley Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one on here that eats more than 1200! I haven't ate into my exercise calories yet. I usually won't even add them until the end of the day so I don't. And I seem to still average within my calorie limit, before I add them. I know there will be day's when I go over. But so far haven't!

Thanks, all for sharing what you do:smooched: !
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 when I'm not working out. But, since I am I eat that PLUS exercise! I used to not touch my exercise cals and always just eat 1200 but I was miserable and gained.
  • swycoff17
    swycoff17 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1200, but I try to burn between 500-700...that way I can eat more. :-)
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    They have me at 1600 and I have lots of days that I have a hard time not going over.