Is there anyone that eats more than 1200 calories a day??

Options

Replies

• CurlyNee
    Options
    I'm set at 1720. I rarely ever eat more than 1500 cals a day. I exercise about 4-5 times a week, losing on average 1.5-2 lbs per week.
  • Glamaz0n
    Options
    I eat nearly 1800 cals a day and have noticed that I find it incredibly easy to stick to unless I'm trying to get more protein or carbs in on a resistance training day.

It depends on what you eat. Eating lots of fibrous foods, lean meats and good fats will make it hard for you to go over your daily caloric intake. Also starting that low mean you can't (safely) go lower to shock your body a bit. It's easier for me to shave off 50 cals p/day if I need to than it would be for someone eating 1200 calories.

To each their own but I've always tried to take the most common sense approach to things.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I have my calories set to my bmr, 1375. I do fine staying under and I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. I also do not eat my exercise calories back unless I burn 600plus then I will eat back anything over the 600. This is working great for me. I'm felling great, losing weight, losing inches and I do not feel deprived.

13957828.png

When it is suggest eating BMR and not under, it means net, eating 1375 and burning 400 is like eating only 975? Of course it works to lose weight, the problem with such a low intake is that some of that loss will be lean muscle, not fat.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I switch it up days between 17-2000-maintenance
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I started out doing 1200 cals, but upped in week 4 to 1500 and since then, I've been losing again. I also feel much better. It was mentally tough upping those calories, though.
  • Jamiewoodle
    Jamiewoodle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have my calories set to my bmr, 1375. I do fine staying under and I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. I also do not eat my exercise calories back unless I burn 600plus then I will eat back anything over the 600. This is working great for me. I'm felling great, losing weight, losing inches and I do not feel deprived.

13957828.png

When it is suggest eating BMR and not under, it means net, eating 1375 and burning 400 is like eating only 975? Of course it works to lose weight, the problem with such a low intake is that some of that loss will be lean muscle, not fat.

I do the same thing! On MFP it's often reffered to as the Olivia Method. Eating your BMR and only eating extra if you burn over 600 cal. This is actually a method that many nutritionists suggest especially to runners.
  • FitnessWitch
    Options
    I've been successful by having two "snack soups" which consist of about 1 cup of greens (beet tops, etc.) chopped, a tomato and vegetable broth, between any lean and clean meals. I also add 1/2 cup cabbage to this at times. (Just combine all in a 4 cup Pyrex bowl and nuke.) Add soy or tabasco for more flavor. This combination in not only packeged with nutrition, the bulk fills you up and also give you almost all your alloted fiber for the day.

I also am muscular and lift weights, so protein is key. Make sure that every meal has some protein, even if it's a half-scoop of powder.
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I do. I take the view that restricting myself to just 1200 calories isn't sustainable. I am being particularly mindful of what I eat right now as i'd like to reduce my waist measurement. But i'm not in to punishing myself by eating so little. I weight 126lbs at five foot one and I would like a slimmer waist, but I don't feel that passing out with hunger is going to achieve anything more than a temporary waist reduction that would be back on in a week. whatever results i see will be from the healthiest lifestyle I can lead. NOT from underfeeding myself. I am not going to start a thread about it, but I think 1200 is too little so I set mine to 1300, i go over it and most days I exercise about half of them off again
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I set mine at 1200, so even if I go a little overboard (think an entire box of skinny cow snacks), I'm still not -really- over my calories.

The downside is that I never really get the "congratulations, you were under you calorie goal" thing, unless I'm under by 10-20 calories.

There isn't a "Congratulation you were under ...." thing - it is a target, not a limit.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I set mine at 1200, so even if I go a little overboard (think an entire box of skinny cow snacks), I'm still not -really- over my calories.

The downside is that I never really get the "congratulations, you were under you calorie goal" thing, unless I'm under by 10-20 calories.

There isn't a "Congratulation you were under ...." thing - it is a target, not a limit.

That person is referring to comments from 'friends' in your newsfeed. Most people give 'good job' comments if you come in under your calorie goal, fewer people will comment positively on a day where you go over.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500 every day, whether I exercise or not. I'm losing a steady 1.5lbs a week.
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have seen so many people just on a 1200 calorie diet. I am on a 1740 calorie a day limit, and have found it a challenge a few day's. I eat mostly low fat, baked, steamed. Nothing fried, and very limited on the fats in my diet. To tell you the truth, I don't think I would be a very pleasant person on a 1200 calorie a day diet! LOL!

For those of you that do it, that's great! Just not sure how you do it. I exercise alot, and also am pretty muscular. I am losing weight and feel good at where my calorie limit is. I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with added snacks.

Just would love to hear from others on this subject......

I try my best to get in 1400 per day from wholesome foods. 1200 is too little for me. I may be making slow progress, but it's happening!
  • spaceys
    Options
    i just switched from 1500 to 1800, much happier ;)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Most people should be eating more than 1200. The majority of people on 1200 cals have their weekly weight loss goal set too aggressively.

This.

Also this.

This.

And hey - this.

by the way - this.

Most people don't' belong anywhere near a strict 1200 calorie diet. And most people won't be happy with how their bodies look eating like that even when they get to their goal weight.
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I am on 1500 calories a day. I usually range between 1100 to 1400. It is hard most days for me to eat enough.
  • damonbaxter
    damonbaxter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find a difficult to eat more calories and still stay under in sodium and sugar. My plan recommends 1800 calories, but I typically only eat between 1200-1400. I feel I should be eating more, since I do workout at least 2-3 times per week. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.
  • Oo_BrookeNicole_oO
    Options
    I'm at 1200 and I haven't lost anything for about 2 weeks! I'm going to give it till Saturday and then readjust my calorie intake if I stay the same.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I usually eat around 1600 + exercise calories, and I've been losing pretty consistently.

13438744.png
  • penney88
    Options
    This probably sounds stupid but I actually learned that I wasn't eating close to 1200 before I started MFP.
    And now that I have my calorie intake at 1200 I'm making an effort to input more food but some days its hard.
    I guess I gained because I was starving myself and my body was storing fat- or the meals I did eat were all garbage, and booze!

I am having a hard time after I work out eating those extra calories though :s
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i average around 1600 calories and not really eating back my exercise calories unless i'm particularly hungry that day. i'm losing around 2 pounds per week