Is there anyone that eats more than 1200 calories a day??

Options

Replies

• OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I think I'm set at around 1500 a day before exercise. I almost always eat that plus some. I probably end up around 1700 for the day. I feel like I'm eating all the time because it's healthy food. I am never hungry. :-)
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    currently at 1590 plus I eat as many of my exercise cals as I can
  • Kayleighpaul1985
    Kayleighpaul1985 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1600-1800 a day depending on what exercise I do

xx
  • marcoscu
    marcoscu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I generally eat 1500+ calories a day rather than my allocated 1200 but then I compensate for it making sure I do several hundred calories worth of exercise a day, so most days I have a hundred or so calories spare. Exercise is the key!!
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    On my none exercise days I eat 1300 and when I exercise I eat a bit more 1400-1500 calories. I am only 4'10 and very close to my goal weight. so I don't have much wiggle room in my calories. I'm satisfied with 1200 calories, though. You get used to it. It was hard at first while my stomach adjusted to less foods, but now I just try to eat healthier foods that keep me full longer. Try to stay away from empty calories.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1600-1800 depending on the day... i don't worry about getting it exact anymore, that was driving me batty. i go by my hunger level now. if 1600 fills me, done. if i'm still hungry, 1800 is my intake. and i'm only 5'4" and 130 lb. i am trying to lose about 5-8 more lbs but if i don't, no big deal. my TDEE is estimated about 1900 so i figure doing it slow and easy is best for me. i don't like to feel starving.
  • Kayleighpaul1985
    Kayleighpaul1985 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Per my friend who is a biochemist, and whom I trust and has helped me lose 43# to-date:
    TO LOSE weight, a person should be eating their weight +0, so I'm at 170 now so I eat 170+0 = 1,700 cals a day to LOSE.. I also eat back at least 60% of my exercise calories.. now this doesn't happen all the time but I always eat at least 1700 a day. I lose 1-2 pounds a week. I'm a happy person at this number and I like the person I'm becoming =)

First-Shawna you have a darling profile pick and started a great thread, thanks!

Re; above quote-I don't think your formula works for everyone. Maybe if you are in close range of your goal. Per MFP, to lose my net calories should be 1200 and my BMR is 1600, creating a deficit. If I eat my weight +0 I would be above my BMR and putting on weight. I am middle aged and sedentary, averaging 1400-1500 calories with exercise calories added back is resulting in a slow loss rate in areas like my midsection.

BMR is the amount your body uses if you did nothing all day - it is the amount your body needs just to function for the day

What you need to look at is your TDEE and around 500 calories less than this for a 1lb loss a week

x
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat between 2000 and 2500 calories/day.
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    On my none exercise days I eat 1300 and when I exercise I eat a bit more 1400-1500 calories. I am only 4'10 and very close to my goal weight. so I don't have much wiggle room in my calories. I'm satisfied with 1200 calories, though. You get used to it. It was hard at first while my stomach adjusted to less foods, but now I just try to eat healthier foods that keep me full longer. Try to stay away from empty calories.

I guess I should add the 1200 calories isn't going to work for everyone. Not sure why this site sets this number for everyone. Including people that are bigger. it doesn't seem right. You will need more calories if you're taller and weigh more.
  • clpope
    clpope Posts: 3
    Options
    Im set for 1220 cal/day and it was challenging at first, but now it's much much easier. Plus, now that im working out, I'll burn off about 600 of those 1220 calories and usually i wont eat them back on.
  • brocflores
    brocflores Posts: 111
    Options
    1500 here! Tried 1200 did not feel good I felt like I was depriving myself :/ I always try my best to stay alittle under. So far so good :) no your not alone!
  • heartsoulshannon
    heartsoulshannon Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    1200 just isn't doable long-term for me. I end up with headaches and too tired to do a workout. I find 1500-1600 to be my sweet spot :) Sometimes I do 1200-1300 for a few days after a few 'off' days, but otherwise... not for me!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Per my friend who is a biochemist, and whom I trust and has helped me lose 43# to-date:
    TO LOSE weight, a person should be eating their weight +0, so I'm at 170 now so I eat 170+0 = 1,700 cals a day to LOSE.. I also eat back at least 60% of my exercise calories.. now this doesn't happen all the time but I always eat at least 1700 a day. I lose 1-2 pounds a week. I'm a happy person at this number and I like the person I'm becoming =)

I am genuinely interested in this stat.

Has anybody else (besides the person who posted that posting) tried this and been 100% honest with themselves regarding logging their correct amount of calories? If so, how did you get on?

I am at maintenance now but that method in the quoted box above really does intrigue me and if it works, it would certainly be immensely helpful to many people and would cut out all the maths and worrying about TDEE and BMR......
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1600-1800 depending on the day... i don't worry about getting it exact anymore, that was driving me batty. i go by my hunger level now. if 1600 fills me, done. if i'm still hungry, 1800 is my intake. and i'm only 5'4" and 130 lb. i am trying to lose about 5-8 more lbs but if i don't, no big deal. my TDEE is estimated about 1900 so i figure doing it slow and easy is best for me. i don't like to feel starving.

This is me exactly...I am set at 2200/day, and typically don't eat back any calories burned. I still find myself famished some days. I had my RMR tested at I was at 1800. I am also 5'4" & hover around 130. I was at 127 for the longest time. If I continue to maintain around 130, I am okay with that.
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I eat 1590 I upped my cals as I found I was'nt losing, personally I could'nt survive on 1200 think it is unrealistic. :@)
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    1200-1500 calories per day
  • tishajo
    tishajo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My goal for each day is set at 1650 and I try to net at least 1550. My primary goal is to lose inches. The numbers dropping on the scale is just a bonus. :bigsmile:
  • kornmaiden
    kornmaiden Posts: 109
    Options
    I eat slighly more than 1200 on days I work out, if I don't work out or walk I eat slightly less. This is based on getting my resting metabolism tested.
  • MelBristol
    Options
    I'm on a 1200, but I try to burn between 500-700...that way I can eat more. :-)

Same here! I figured I have to exercise every day :/
  • bertabird
    Options
    I don't pay attention to all the BMR and other stuff. I eat back some of my exercise calories most days. Sometimes I don't. I just listen to my body and if it's hungry, I feed it. I am, however, eating a very low carb diet. I have taken information from the Adkins Diet and the Metabolic Diet. I am losing weight. I am down 41 pounds since April and I feel great. I workout REGULARLY and have learned to enjoy exercise. Some days I work out more or longer and have to "feed it forward" - eat inbetween workouts. It's working. I am losing one to two pounds per week, sometimes more. It totally depends on what you have done that day to deserve those extra calories. I don't munch on junk food and like I said, I keep it low carb.