Is there anyone that eats more than 1200 calories a day??

Options

Replies

• lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm only 4'11" and 1700 calories would be maintaining for me, I'm not ready for that yet as I still have too much jiggle in the middle when I wiggle!!!. I started out at 1200 cals per day and over the last month I slowly upped to 1300 cals per day. Depending on how I feel I may or may not eat back some or all of my excercise calories back. On Saturday I did a 2 hour Krav Maga class and burned well over 1000 calories during that time. So I ate around 1700 calories on that day. At the end of the day it really is different for everyone. What others do may be disasterous for me and what I do may be disasterous for others.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    2000/day and I'm losing... I also exercise 6 days a week with some days being double so need the fuel!
  • peeboo40
    peeboo40 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hmmm i am on 1200 for the last 6 weeks? i guess for me it is retraining and understanding what i eat that blows out my calorie budget- after all eating is 90% weight loss right? this was clear to me when walking the dog for 20 minutes is the equivalent of 2 minties - boo hoo

I have learnt that to eat cheese, processed grains (breads) and meat blow out the count- and processed foods- phew they really cut down the volume i can eat in a day- and lolly stuff- running all day wont work that off me for sure!!!

i have also learnt to really start using all the herbs and spices around to give food much more kick and it gives me more satisfaction in eating it. I stay on the outside isle of the supermarket (fruit veg. and meat - non processed whole foods) and dare not venture down the inner isles (if kids want their snacks they need to come with me and get it themselves). I set a challenge to cook whole food from scratch- oh and that works a treat 'cause if it is a disaster you dont eat as much either :) lol

meat is now less then 25% of the area on my plate (as opposed to more then 50% before)- and if i am thinking of dinner i try to think of the vegies i am going to use (what did you have for dinner last night ? chicken? beef? meat with veges?- ha ha ha i now turn what i say around to something like- stir fried vegies in vingarette with a little crumbed beef)

i have cut down on my serving size (by using a smaller plate for me- amazing how many calories i can save up for more later without blowing the 1200cal.

i pack my lunch using good food left over from dinner

I can say that i am not hungry most times and when i am i eat (or say hang on - wait half an hour more)- but i still have an apetite for naughty things for sure (and a second helping while we are there)- the hard thing is telling the two apart -the cool thing for me is i can identify when i ask myself am i hungry or not- bad thing is it is still hard to stop the urge to snack.

get rid of all the naughty things out of the cupboard- if you have kids use a seperate cupboard that you dont go into and get them to 'lock it from you' - amazing what junk food nazis they turn into!!

Above all - go to bed as early as possible!! sitting around of a night, watching telly, chatting on the phone only makes you want to snack - thats where i fall down- while you sleep you dont eat- and the earlier waking time will allow you precious time to strewngthen your resolve the next morning.
    Oh and using the calorie counter constantly will give you all the inspiration you need to choose better and excercise longer.

oh and when i do have blow out day- well there is always tomorrow right? :)
  • lissyloo1988
    lissyloo1988 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I went through years of trying to diet to 1200 calories- I would manage it for 2 or 3 weeks, lose 7-10lbs, wake every morning with a horrendous headache- then give up counting and go back to eating how I was before and end up putting on about 20lbs.

Since february I've been on around 1700 cals per day in addition to eating back most of my exercise calories and i've lost 42lbs, with no headaches and so much extra energy!

There is no point losing weight quickly if you can't sustain it, slow and steady really does win this race!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I used to be, while eating back my cals.

Then I discovered the idea of eating more to weigh less. I will NEVER go back!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Iw1thBlLA&feature=plcp
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i agree that it depends on the person. until last wk i did 1200 cals + workout calories (not always eating them, but allowing myself the option), and as of monday i went up to 1300. i workout 5 days a wk cardio / strength & i am never hungry.

I was discussing this with a friend last night & we came to the conclusion i probably didn't even eat that much before i tried to be healthier - i just ate a bunch of crap so i felt like i was over full all the time (you know like those 3 extra coltons rolls "just b/c" lol)... maybe oneday i'll log a carefree day & see where i end up...
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    yes... 1325 net on here. (I normally eat back all exercise calories expended.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I eat 1440 plus 300 for breastfeeding. I also eat about half of my exercise calories.
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I struggle to eat 1200-1300 per day and I'm supposed to be eating around 1700 before exercise.
    Ive been trying to eat things like nuts that are high in good calories ...
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Eating 1200 calories and netting 1200 calories are different. If I consumed only 1200 calories, I would probably rip someone's arm off to snack on. I typically consume about 1500 calories, but with exercise I net 1200. I lose 2-3 lbs per week at this rate, and I don't feel deprived or hungry.

Very true I can net those amounts but to just eat it would be hard
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    hmmm i am on 1200 for the last 6 weeks? i guess for me it is retraining and understanding what i eat that blows out my calorie budget- after all eating is 90% weight loss right? this was clear to me when walking the dog for 20 minutes is the equivalent of 2 minties - boo hoo

I have learnt that to eat cheese, processed grains (breads) and meat blow out the count- and processed foods- phew they really cut down the volume i can eat in a day- and lolly stuff- running all day wont work that off me for sure!!!

i have also learnt to really start using all the herbs and spices around to give food much more kick and it gives me more satisfaction in eating it. I stay on the outside isle of the supermarket (fruit veg. and meat - non processed whole foods) and dare not venture down the inner isles (if kids want their snacks they need to come with me and get it themselves). I set a challenge to cook whole food from scratch- oh and that works a treat 'cause if it is a disaster you dont eat as much either :) lol

meat is now less then 25% of the area on my plate (as opposed to more then 50% before)- and if i am thinking of dinner i try to think of the vegies i am going to use (what did you have for dinner last night ? chicken? beef? meat with veges?- ha ha ha i now turn what i say around to something like- stir fried vegies in vingarette with a little crumbed beef)

i have cut down on my serving size (by using a smaller plate for me- amazing how many calories i can save up for more later without blowing the 1200cal.

i pack my lunch using good food left over from dinner

I can say that i am not hungry most times and when i am i eat (or say hang on - wait half an hour more)- but i still have an apetite for naughty things for sure (and a second helping while we are there)- the hard thing is telling the two apart -the cool thing for me is i can identify when i ask myself am i hungry or not- bad thing is it is still hard to stop the urge to snack.

get rid of all the naughty things out of the cupboard- if you have kids use a seperate cupboard that you dont go into and get them to 'lock it from you' - amazing what junk food nazis they turn into!!

Above all - go to bed as early as possible!! sitting around of a night, watching telly, chatting on the phone only makes you want to snack - thats where i fall down- while you sleep you dont eat- and the earlier waking time will allow you precious time to strewngthen your resolve the next morning.
    Oh and using the calorie counter constantly will give you all the inspiration you need to choose better and excercise longer.

oh and when i do have blow out day- well there is always tomorrow right? :)

How about figuring out your TDEE and just shooting for 20-30% below that.

Enjoy the meat and cheese and minties?!

For instance i'm a 38 year old guy whos 5'6" and losing weight at 2500 cals or less.
    So my question is....

Why eat less if you can get the same results eating more?
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I have seen so many people just on a 1200 calorie diet. I am on a 1740 calorie a day limit, and have found it a challenge a few day's. I eat mostly low fat, baked, steamed. Nothing fried, and very limited on the fats in my diet. To tell you the truth, I don't think I would be a very pleasant person on a 1200 calorie a day diet! LOL!

For those of you that do it, that's great! Just not sure how you do it. I exercise alot, and also am pretty muscular. I am losing weight and feel good at where my calorie limit is. I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with added snacks.

Just would love to hear from others on this subject......

Many of us 1200-1400'ers don't eat breakfast or snacks, this makes it much easier.
  • chezileigh
    chezileigh Posts: 255
    Options
    I'm on 1200 net plus my exercise cals. I find it doable, but if I haven't lost when I weigh/measure tomorrow, I'm considering upping them. I find I am hungry a lot of the time apart from on Thursdays which is my rest day from running and 30DS.
  • befitandfearless
    Options
    I'll usually be eating from 1600-2000cals. I'm still learning and this number is not set in stone.
  • Toxictwist
    Toxictwist Posts: 274
    Options
  • sarasci
    sarasci Posts: 4
    Options
    Before exercise, this site has me at 1770 to lose 1lb/week, 1230 if I want to lose 2 lbs/week. That's about the same as what the nutritionist I visited last week suggested so I'm feeling pretty good about those amounts.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I eat 2200 calories a day.....and I'm happy.

1200 calories a day makes me wanna kill things.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    ridiculous the amount of guys on such low cals :noway:

I'm averageing about 3300-3500 at the moment and aiming to gain 1lb per week. (currently 181lbs)
    Exactly, you are wishing to gain - your situation is completely and utterly different to anybody wishing to lose.

I, too, would gain on 3300-3500 per day as would many, many others on MFP - hence why they are here in the first place.

I was on 1200 calories per day for six and a half months until I got to my goal. What is important is WHAT you eat when on 1200 - quality of food rather than quantity.

Actually my situation is exactly 1000cals different to if I wanted to lose.

Theoretical overweight guy at 210lbs has an estimated TDEE of 2900-3400. Why is it a good idea for him to be eating 1200 cals again?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    ridiculous the amount of guys on such low cals :noway:

I'm averageing about 3300-3500 at the moment and aiming to gain 1lb per week. (currently 181lbs)
    Exactly, you are wishing to gain - your situation is completely and utterly different to anybody wishing to lose.

I, too, would gain on 3300-3500 per day as would many, many others on MFP - hence why they are here in the first place.

I was on 1200 calories per day for six and a half months until I got to my goal. What is important is WHAT you eat when on 1200 - quality of food rather than quantity.

Actually my situation is exactly 1000cals different to if I wanted to lose.

Theoretical overweight guy at 210lbs has an estimated TDEE of 2900-3400. Why is it a good idea for him to be eating 1200 cals again?

Lol thats breakfast!

ON A CUT!
  • sexy_RN88
    sexy_RN88 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1500--I tried to do 1200 for a week, but I was so crabby and irritable that there was just no way I'd be able to sustain it long-term. 1500 is enough so that I feel like I can actually eat real food and have enough to not feel like I'm starving all day long.